PDA

View Full Version : confused about passports??

#1disneyfan
04-19-2008, 11:07 PM
Originally we were told we needed a passport to cruise, now we are being told you don't need them until June '09. However, I was also told that they are a good idea to have anyway. Anyone hear anything about this? Would you get the passports anyway?

Donald_Quackers
04-20-2008, 02:24 AM
Of all the advice I've read, I would recommend getting them. I hear it's easier going through check in with them, plus you don't have to worry about toting birth certificates and IDs around.

I got my passport pretty quickly, but you shouldn't wait too long before applying for them (everyone in your party should have one).

I'm going for my first cruise in December, and MJ answered all my questions. I can't wait!

DisneyDudet
04-20-2008, 08:43 AM
We got ours when the talks of requiring them just started a few years ago. They keep pushing back that date, but only have to give you 60-90 days notice if they want to make it final.

While it may not be REQUIRED, it is a very nice thing to have. Not only will it help you out in check in and in customs (especially if you are on a cruise where you have to go through it DURING your trip .. ie one that goes to St. Thomas), but if something were to happen while on the cruise or in a foriegn port, you have your passport. If something happens and you must FLY back home, not having a passport will make it VERY cumbersome and difficult, wasting precious time.

While it may seem extreme, it is a real possibility. We got ours at different times, to make us feel like we weren't dropping too much at one time. They do have new passport cards, but those may only be shortlived anyway, plus already having one makes going on another cruise or another trip easier.

I would start getting them now, getting the adults in the party their's first, then the kiddos, if you want to stagger buying them. Before summer months will be a busy time (since people are getting them for their summer trips), so start early, or expedite them (an additional fee). Anyone I personally know who go theirs within the past few years only had to wait about a month for theirs, but it can take up to 8 weeks, I hear.

CanadianWDWFan
04-20-2008, 10:09 AM
Using a passport is by far the easiest way to travel. Our family always has had ours. Even crossing the border from Canada to the US, which at this time does not need a passport, we always use them. It just speeds the process along.

Plus from what I understand. US passports are good for ten years so once you get them you won't have to renew them for a long time.

TammiMcMan
04-20-2008, 02:31 PM
Anyone hear anything about this?Yes, June 2009 is the most recent update on the US Passport site.
Would you get the passports anyway?This is sort of like asking about buying travel insurance. You really need to look at your risk factor. You won't need a passport to cruise, but if something happens where you need to fly back into the US and you don't have one, there could be a problem. On the flip side, if you have a large family, it can be very costly to purchase passports. It's also not the most convenient process, but once it's done, adult passports are good for 10 years and childrens are good for 5.

NJGIRL
04-21-2008, 08:43 AM
IMO just get them. They are good for 10 years. The make things quicker and easier at any check in (airport or cruise or ports). Birth cert are bulkier, they MUST have the raised seal (which some people don't have and then you have to order them anyway) plus you still need a picture ID besides the BC.

TammiMcMan
04-21-2008, 03:41 PM
They are good for 10 years.Just wanted to clarify that:

Age 16+ = Passport good for 10 years. Passport book $100, Passport card (land/sea) $45

Age 15- = Passport good for 5 years. Passport book $85, Passport card (land/sea) $35

Cinderella's mom
05-02-2008, 05:51 PM
I thought there was only a book... is there any advantage to having one over the other... looks like the card is 1/2 price

TammiMcMan
05-02-2008, 11:31 PM
I thought there was only a book... is there any advantage to having one over the other... looks like the card is 1/2 priceThe card is only good for cruises. If you needed to fly outside of the US, or fly into the US from a foreign country, you'd be required to have a book format passport.

DisneyDudet
05-04-2008, 02:15 PM
I thought there was only a book... is there any advantage to having one over the other... looks like the card is 1/2 price

You might as well get the book, as, at any time, the US can require passports for ANY travel in and out of the US. You will get a 90-60 notice if they do this, but that may not be enough time to get them if they require them.

The card can be used for cruises, but if you are injured or sick, or for any reason, need to return to the States by air, you are SOL. If this happens, getting back into the US is very difficult, not to mention could cost you precious time in cases of emergencies.

I always promote getting passports. You never know when you will need one, plus it makes traveling in the future easier. You have one less worry next time, and you won't have to worry once they require them.