PDA

View Full Version : New Cruise Ships?

Tonyajo
04-18-2008, 07:03 PM
Hi!

I recently heard that Disney is adding several new cruise ships in the next couple of years. Has anyone else heard this? Is it true?

WRWDisney
04-18-2008, 07:21 PM
Yes, they are suppose to come on line in 2011 and 2012. They are being built in germany and will accommodate 4,000 guests (vs. the Magic and Wonder which each can accommodate 2,400).

disney has not announced where they will be housed, but a lot of the speculation has them replacing the Magic and Wonder in Florida, with one of those ships being permanently dispatched to the west coast while the other could be housed permanently in Europe.

We will have to wait and see, but they will be great additions to the fleet.

Tonyajo
04-18-2008, 10:41 PM
Wow! Pretty exciting!!!

Maybe I should postpone my cruise for a few years? :laughing:

Tinkermom
04-18-2008, 11:32 PM
We can't wait to try out the new ships! :joy:

Here is an artist rendering the 2 smaller ships are the Magic and the Wonder:
New DCL ships (http://www.flickr.com/photos/8078549@N07/2423872513/sizes/m/)

Disney Announces Expansion of Successful Cruise Business
Thursday February 22, 1:00 pm ET
Two New Ships Will More Than Double Passenger Capacity

BURBANK, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The Walt Disney Company (NYSE:DIS - News) plans to expand its successful cruise business by adding two new ocean liners, President and CEO Bob Iger announced today. Scheduled to launch in 2011 and 2012, the ships will more than double the passenger capacity for Disney Cruise Line to meet the sustained demand for Disney's family cruise vacations.

Source: The Walt Disney Company

· View Multimedia Gallery

The company signed a letter of intent with Meyer Werft shipyard, based in Papenburg, Germany, to negotiate a contract to build the 122,000-ton new cruise liners, which will be two decks taller than the existing 83,000-ton ships, the Disney Magic and the Disney Wonder. Each ship will have 1,250 staterooms. Specific design plans and itineraries for the yet-unnamed ships are still in development and will be unveiled at a later date.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
04-18-2008, 11:51 PM
We were in the Barber Shop on Main St last year and a CM waiting to get his hair cut was telling some other guests all about the new cruise ships and how people that had already cruised on them loved the new ships. I very politely waited until he left & then explained to the other guests that the ships hadn't even been started yet! We all had a good laugh! You could tell he was a newbie.