PDA

View Full Version : Should ice cream be hard or soft?

Stan
04-18-2008, 04:01 PM
I'm sitting here in my home office eating a dish of ice cream that had just reached the "perfect" stage for me- melting on the surface, mushy inside, beginning to pool in the bowl (Blue Bell homemade vanilla with generic choc syrup). And I was thinking- there's something people would argue over. So, why not a poll?

How do you like your ice cream? Hard as a rock (like the bars out of some WDW carts that must use dry ice)? Or melted into a puddle? Or somewhere in between? Of course with soft-serve you don't get much of a choice (especially when you put it into a hot bowl right out of the dishwasher like at some buffet places).

SBETigg
04-18-2008, 04:09 PM
I like it between firm, still frozen, and the next stage down, when it's almost ready to soften slightly but not quite. I don't like it as much to be drippy, or hard as a rock. But I'll take it any way it comes. It's ice cream. :)

teambricker04
04-18-2008, 04:23 PM
Hilarious. I never ever think about it unless I am at WDW and have a Mickey bar and am about to break my teeth off!!! My DH says I am suppose to lick it, not chew it, but I am totally all about chewing my ice cream!!!!

princessjojo
04-18-2008, 05:13 PM
... but I am totally all about chewing my ice cream!!!!
Too funny. Everyone laughs at me because I go through all the motions of actually eating my ice cream. I bite into it, then like you, I chew it until it's gone, which usually doesn't take too long.

pdrlkr
04-18-2008, 05:30 PM
I always let mine sit out and melt a little before eating. :thumbsup:

Jeff G
04-18-2008, 05:41 PM
I like mine super soft and on the merge of melting, unless of course it's a Mickey Bar or any other bar for that matter(I don't like to wear it).

SgtTigger
04-18-2008, 05:56 PM
You know I really like soft serve..........

but as for ice cream...... firm........

:cop: :tigger:

biodtl
04-18-2008, 07:28 PM
Hard - especially if it's in a cone (and I don't have to sccop it myself).

conorsmom2000
04-18-2008, 07:54 PM
Yum, definitely both! Totally depends on the day! But, since this a general topic about ice cream, and not specific to Disney Dining, I'm going to move this to the Water Cooler....hang on! :mickey:

PirateLover
04-18-2008, 10:30 PM
Well... I like my soft serve soft, and regular ice cream firm ;)

AdventurelandTikiGirl
04-18-2008, 11:55 PM
This thread is making my mouth water :thumbsup: :bar:

I like it hard but with a melty layer on the outside if it's in a dish.

There's nothing like the smooth consistency of a Dole Whip, even though technically it's not ice cream.
:tikki:

Flower
04-19-2008, 11:30 AM
Hard & firm, fresh out of the freezer and perfect for licking!!! I LOVE ice cream!!!

For our summer vacation this year we are heading to Lake Placid and then on to the Maine coast. I am planning it so that we can take a side trip to the Ben & Jerry's factory near Burlington Vermont!!! Yeah!!!!

Speaking of, I think I hear Ben and Jerry calling me now, there is a pint in my freezer of Half Baked - YUM!!!!!

(Carol - we need an ice cream cone smiley!)

Jasper
04-19-2008, 11:51 AM
It depends on whether it is an ice cream bar on stick like you get from Dairy Queen or a bowl of ice cream. If it is a Dilly Bar type of ice cream then I like it frozen pretty hard. If it is a bowl of ice cream then definitely turning to mush!!

MissStyles
04-19-2008, 12:24 PM
I eat Breyer's ice cream every single evening.......

I always take it out 5-10 minutes before I scoop. I like it on the softer side.....not firm at all. I enjoy making ice cream soup too. Yum yum!

Shugoondola
04-19-2008, 12:36 PM
I like ice cream any way. :tasty:

:mickey:

WDWFREAK101
04-19-2008, 12:41 PM
Like most people, I have sensitive teeth. I HATE biting into Ice Cream and I HATE the sound of biting into Ice Cream. I like is frozen but more mushy than frozen. I picked Mushy

Stan
04-19-2008, 02:51 PM
Thanks for all the comments.

1) "Ice cream" is a fairly generic term to me, and includes frozen custard, sherbet/sherbert, soft serve, frozen yogurt, even that nasty mellorine stuff my Dad used to buy when I was a kid. I draw the line at a slushy or other frozen drink thingy- that's not ice cream. Kind of arbitrary though, since some of those frozen drinks are a lot like sherbe(r)t.

2) Even though I generally prefer melty ice cream, a cone or bar requires it to be firm or you've got a mess in the making. I've always loved chocolate ice cream sodas (which must be made with vanilla ice cream) when I can find them (Plaza Restaurant MK? Beaches n Cream? Kings in PA?). But I used to get them at Farrell's in TX and FL, and they'd always serve them with a big old scoop of vanilla hanging halfway over the side of the glass. And the glass was too full to hold the scoop without overflowing. I'd get served that and I'd immediately be in a panic- took half the fun out of the soda. :( :mad: Anything else served that crazy? Of course a 2 or 3 scoop cone is just as difficult to deal with.

3) Sometimes when a homemade ice cream freezer isn't run long enough, or the ice/salt never got cold enough, or you just didn't get it served fast enough- you've got soupy ice cream. That never bothered me- I'll take it anyway. :tasty: That makes me remember some wonderful family times at my aunt and uncle's place in Ringgold GA circa 1965. You really can't go home, can you?

KineGirl
04-19-2008, 02:54 PM
I generally try avoid ice cream but Im a sucker for soft serve :secret: I almost never turn it down

MsMin
04-19-2008, 03:28 PM
I love it hard as a rock b/c it melts so fast anyway. If I wanted a shake I would order a shake:thedolls:
But Ice cream sodas .... that's a whole new subject. yumm

daparish
04-19-2008, 03:59 PM
I like ice cream any way. :tasty:

:mickey:

Same for me. I love ice cream!!!!!! Plain vanilla for me and it has to be Blue Bell.

BelleLovesTheBeast
04-19-2008, 07:46 PM
:silly: I like this poll.

I like my ice cream mushy. I actually stir my ice cream so it melts some before I eat it. I don't like mine hard.....it gives me a headache.

Yum! That make me want to go get a bowl right now of some cherry garcia.

Stan
04-19-2008, 08:28 PM
I just remembered something my Mom used to say, because her Mom always said it. Whenever a conversation got onto an uncomfortable subject, she'd say, "Let's talk about ice cream." :)

I guess if you're talking about ice cream, nobody can be mad or uncomfortable- everybody's happy. :D Does it work that way at Blue Bell HQ I wonder?

ncscgirl2005
04-20-2008, 08:55 AM
I love soft serve but if I eat some of DH's Breyers Mint Chocolate Chip, then I have to let it sit out a little before I eat it.

elmjimmlm
04-23-2008, 10:00 AM
Soft but not melty...I like soft serve like you can get from Dairy Queen...:thumbsup: