PDA

View Full Version : Digital Camera

katzctkpt
04-18-2008, 02:41 PM
I need to purchase a new digital camera mine has bit the dust. I don't have a lot of money to sink into one but, would like one that does take pretty good shots. Such as night & sport. Any suggestions on a brand to purchase. My old one was a fuji and I liked everything about it except night & sport shots.

disneydave4479
04-18-2008, 03:39 PM
I swear by Nikon. I have a D50 dSLR and I love it. I would suggest going to a Best Buy or Circuit City type store and trying out a few models. I haven't heard any complaints about Nikon's CoolPix series.

It'll all pretty much boils down to what features you want, what ones you can do without, size, form factor, etc.

:mickey:

kakn7294
04-18-2008, 04:02 PM
I have a Canon A620 and I love nearly everything about it. It was top of the line when I bought it several years ago. The 2 biggest disadvantages to this camera is that it's somewhat big and bulky - no fitting into a pocket for this guy - and it takes 4 AA batteries. I know there are some newer versions out there that aren't as big and don't take as much battery power.

msc_idiot
04-18-2008, 04:03 PM
I have 3, a Kodak z710 that is pretty good, a Canon and a Sony. The Sony was okay and I haven't had the chance to use my Canon much yet. My suggestion is to go to a site like pbase.com or Squidoo, find pictures that you love and look to see the details on the camera the photographer was using. Or do a search on Amazon and look at the customer photos that have been submitted. That's how I pick my cameras.

princessjojo
04-18-2008, 05:18 PM
I bought DH an Olympus FE-210 for Christmas. It was on sale for like $100 and takes great pics. The only drawback I've found with it is it uses regular AA batteries and they die like crazy. I use a Canon dSLR Rebel XT and love it but it can be big when trying to take it around the parks. But we're going to take both with us in June anyway.

DISNEYFIX
04-18-2008, 06:34 PM
Get one with image stabilization.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
04-19-2008, 11:56 PM
I recently bought a Canon SX100 IS. it takes auto focus or you can do manual shots as well. And the flash has to be popped up so it's great for those rides that have no flash photography because it takes good low light pix too. And shofrt videos too.
I have the Nikon Coolpix and they just don't have the same picture quality as the Canon. My cousin owns his own camera shop & he said to get an Olympus or Canon.

garymacd
04-20-2008, 02:13 PM
Just bought a new Nikon Coolpix S600 when I was in Banff, Alberta last week and I love it. I was considering a Coolpix S700, but the difference between the two was mainly a step up from 10 to 12 MP. and an additional $50. I was also considering a Nikon D60 SLR but couldn't justify spending an additional $400 to get the same specs in a slr camera. Besides, the coolpix fits in my pocket.

The Coolpix S600 and S700 are incredibly small and they take great pictures. I am just in danger of losing it since it is so small and now our yougest daughter is home from school, she may abscond with it.

Here are the specs from the Nikon website for the S600.

Nikon’s Unique Image Innovations: Face-priority AF, In-Camera Red-Eye Fix, D-Lighting
Active Zoom allows smoother zooming for close-ups
New Pastel mode produces bright images with a watercolour effect
Macro shooting from as close as 3 cm
Time zone function for easy setting of multiple locations
SDHC card compatibility
Approx. 45 MB of internal memory
USB connectivity
PictBridge support