PDA

View Full Version : Restrictions on toiletries, etc., on airplanes

alphamommy
04-18-2008, 02:01 PM
I've been trying to think of some place to vacation this year, but haven't had any luck (DH has vetoed a WDW trip, but I'm still hoping).

Anyway, I realized today that it's been over 2 years since I flew anywhere. I did a little research into the "new" TSA rules about what can be taken on a plane, and it leaves me with a question that their website did not answer.

Can you put shampoo, etc., in generic travel containers? I know that, at one time, they advised that toiletries, OTC meds, etc., should be taken in their original container. The brands that I use are not available in travel sized containers. Does this mean that I need to just buy the products when I reach my destination, then leave them behind?

Also, do all my toiletries, make-up, medicine, etc., have to be in one quart sized bag? It will likely take one bag for my meds alone!

DH is leaving for a business trip in a couple weeks, so we need to figure out what he can/cannot take.

Maybe we'll drive to our family vacation this year...

Thanks,
Tammy

Aggie97
04-18-2008, 02:29 PM
Any toiletries, OTC medication, make-up, etc. that is gel or liquid-based and is in your carry-on baggage must fit in one quart-size bag per person.

We always put shampoo, etc. in generic travel containers and haven't had any issues.

The OTC meds we use aren't gel or liquid-based so don't go in the quart-size bag, but we do keep them in original packaging if carrying on.

If you travel with an extra pair of contact lenses in their original liquid packaging, be sure to include those in your quart-size bag.

We keep prescriptions in their packaging (with prescription label) but do not put them in the quart-size bag. Instead, we put those in a separate ziploc bag, which we just pull out of our carry-on and place in the security bin with everything else.

Since the quart-size bag rule, I have not been able to travel without checking a bag! My husband always does for work trips, but he uses a lot less stuff. :blush: I carry on only a handful of toiletry and make-up items that would be difficult to replace or live without for a day if my checked bag was lost (plus all prescriptions), and I just double-ziploc-bag everything else in my checked bag.

Beast_fanatic
04-18-2008, 02:37 PM
You can put the liquids into small generic travel containers. Or, if you are checking bags, you can put them there (I suggest packing them in ziploc type bags to ensure you don't arrive with shampoo all over your clothes).

Medications should be taken in their original containers and are not part of the quart bag restriction. If they are liquid, lotion or gel, they still need to be separated out of your carry-on and "declared" to the TSA agent.

All liquids, lotions and gels (other than the medications referenced above) need to be put into a quart sized bag and that bag needs to be separated from your carry on when put through the x-ray machine. Each ticketed passenger is allowed one quart sized bag.

alphamommy
04-18-2008, 03:41 PM
Okay, just to make sure I understand:

1. I can still check "full sized" bottles of stuff (shampoo, hair spray, contact solution, etc.)? I usually check that stuff (inside a couple of ziploc bags) anyway.
2. My non-gel medicines (prescriptions and OTC) don't have to be in the quart sized bag, correct? Those would be in their original bottles, anyway. These could be in their own bag in my carry on.
3. Since each ticketed passenger is allowed one quart-sized bag, does that include DD8?
4. If DH plans to carry everything on for his business trip, he needs to fit it all in a quart-sized bag.
5. Shampoo and such can go in generic containers.

Can I take aerosol hair spray? Where do we put non-gel/aerosol deodorant?

Anybody know where you can get contact solution in a container that's less than 3 oz? Guess I have a scavenger hunt for myself before his trip!

Thanks!
Tammy

Aggie97
04-18-2008, 05:32 PM
I think you have everything in your 1-5 list correct!

I can't advise about the aerosol hairspray, though.

I have beeen able to get sample or travel-sized (less than 3 oz.) Optifree brand contact solution bottles from my eye doctors over the years. We have not been able to find small bottles of saline solution or my husband's contact solution. We just pop the tops off the travel-sized bottles we do have, clean them out and refill as needed. :)

Disney Lynn
04-19-2008, 09:45 AM
We travel frequently. My answers only refer to flights within the USA, so post asap if you're flying somewhere else (especially if into or out of the UK). Your questions:

1. Yes, your full size (over 3 OZ) liquids, gels, sprays, lotions, etc can all still be packed in your checked luggage. Definitely go with the ziplock bags. We also use bubble wrap around some items (which we then use for souvenirs).

2. Technically, prescription medications even when gels or liquids (also FYI baby formulas) are excluded from the 3-1-1 rules. However, to make it much easier on yourself, stick all your prescription gels and liquids into that 1 qt ziplock bag. All other medications should not be put into that 3-1-1 bag, but definitely carry them on with you in case they lose your luggage.

3. If you paid for a ticket for DD, she gets to have her own 3-1-1 bag (if needed).

4. Yes, and remember that each individual item can not exceed 3 OZ.

5. Yes, change into travel size, as long as each individual bottle is under 3 oz and they all fit into one 1-qt bag (per person).

Aerosols- no, you can not carry-on aerosols. You may be able to get away with a small (3 oz) can in your 3-1-1 bag, but it may be taken from you. Pack them in your checked bag. If DH is just using carry-on, try a small can or get a small (3oz) stick or gel deodorant.

Sometimes, the TSA agents are very picky; other times, they barely look at your bag. But they're always strict about the size. When they say a 3 oz container, they mean that the container must be sized to hold 3 oz or less. They do not require it to be full. Also- you can not take a 6 oz container of toothpaste and squeeze out half the tube. The container (in this example,the tube) must be a size that would only hold 3 oz.

Also, your one quart zip-type bag must be one quart, must zip (rather than tie) and must be clear. If you have one small item, do not stict it into a sandwich sized baggie- it will be confiscated if TSA is picky that day.

Questionable items: I always put chapsticks, lipsticks, gel-cap vitamins, etc into the 3-1-1 bag. Sometimes TSA cares, sometimes they don't. You can stand there and argue (and either lose the items or miss your flight) or you can try to make it easier on yourself, even though some of these rules seem silly to me.

Remember that these rules apply to all liquids, including water bottles, juice packs, etc. We drink a lot of water, so I carry empty water bottles through security and fill them at a water fountain in the secure area. Very handy if you have a long wait for your flight. Or you can buy water, juices, etc in the secure area for a hefty fee.

In spite of all this- have a great trip!