PDA

View Full Version : Airlines & costs for our trip

calif desert family
04-18-2008, 12:45 PM
:confused:Hello all. I'm trying to keep an eye out on all the airfares out there. My family of 4 ( 2 adults & 2 kids ages 8 & 10 ) are going to WDW on 1-20-2009 to 1-30-2009. The lowest airfare so far from LAX to ORLANDO, round trip is through disney $1400. I tried expedia and all the others but they were more expensive. When is the best time to confirm our airefare? Can anybody help us with discounts or easy ways to track and find airfare. VERY AIRFARE CONFUSED???? :confused:

faline
04-18-2008, 12:51 PM
Are you quoting a per person airfare cost or the total cost for all of your family members to fly?

calif desert family
04-18-2008, 01:00 PM
That is a rate for the whole family of 4. That is the least expensive rate I can find right now. Other people have told me it 's hard to get the lowest posted rate on any airlines or discounts site. Thank you very much.

thrillme
04-18-2008, 01:19 PM
Try Southwest when they come out.

It's too early for them right now probably around August for the timeframe you want.

Go to Travel Tools on Southwest.com and watch for your dates. Sign up and download DING. Currently they're only booking through October but keep your eyes open. Check back frequently.

It seems like too the other airlines become more competitive when Southwest is about to release their fares.

Unfortunately :( it looks like it's costly to fly from California. Have you looked into another airport?

MuchLovedMama
04-18-2008, 02:54 PM
Yeah, you can always call Southwest & they can tell you when those dates will be released but to give yourself an idea use the latest week they have available right now using the same day of week to depart & return & see what it tells you. That's what I've been doing the last week & a half or so & it was the same price when they finally opened their September schedule today.

Every week or so you can check the dates again & if the price changes you'll know where the rates are standing at this time. For me it went up about $10 per person a few days ago but since I had the DING downloaded from their website I got 15% discount so for me my tickets were $170 vs $200 per person round trip + taxes & fees but that helped a lot.

chick20679
04-18-2008, 03:05 PM
I hate to say this to you, but I don't think $350 per person round trip from LAX is that outrageous of a price. :unsure:
Like others have said, it may help to look at other airports, and try lower-fare carriers (Southwest, AirTran, JetBlue) once they release their schedules/prices (about 6 mos prior). You may be able to find something a bit cheaper (maybe $300pp or so), but I wouldn't hold my breath.

sillyolbear
04-18-2008, 04:47 PM
Sad to say, but for the current situation you've got a decent price. I got excited about finding gas for $3.28 today which is equaling as sad.

You might keep an eye on some of the sites that compare multiple airlines every day, Kayak is one and ita another, to try and catch trends. You'll still need to have an eye on SWA as they usually aren't include in the survey sites.

There are some deals out there though. I bought tickets for the end of January yesterday for $84 each way less taxes and fees on Air Tran Charlotte to Orlando. I could drive it for that right now.

Zippy 1
04-18-2008, 05:59 PM
We got $64 each way from Denver to Orlando. You just have to keep watching. SW is the best for deals from our area:mickey:

Mrs Bus Driver
04-18-2008, 06:55 PM
I was just looking around intercot when I saw this thread and caught the part about southwest booking for sept. Just made my reservations for my trip from Az. $320 per person round trip not the cheapest but wanted earlier start and later finish so paid a little more. ($148 ea way could have got $130 but the times didn't work). Take my word for it when I say I have searched all over for cheaper flights. I just have never been able to beat southwest.

OPPS I just found out about a 10% discount for southwest so I rebooked the flight and saved $60 just put in promo code SAVE10

Taja
04-18-2008, 07:46 PM
SWA does tend to have pretty good rates and schedules LAX>MCO>LAX. As a PP noted, they won't release January fares until July or August.

$350 per person round trip isn't outrageous at this time, but unless you completely detest SWA, I probably would wait until they open their dates. Depending on fuel costs, you might be able to shave $25 to $50 off per person--with the emphasis on might! And they have the best baggage allowance at the moment--two checked bags and a carry-on per person. Just in case you're taking golf clubs and need that extra bag! ;)

Taja
04-18-2008, 07:48 PM
Oh! And sign up for the Rapid Rewards program with Southwest. You may never accumulate enough rewards for a free flight (it's based on each passenger, can't combine for families), you can receive their newsletter. And download DING, as someone else suggested. :)