PDA

View Full Version : Summer Crowds??

Momto3littlemice
04-17-2008, 11:18 PM
I know this isn't ideal but there is a possibility that our 2009 trip is going to have to be in the summer (a family full of teachers). If this is the case, are we smarter to go the minute school lets out or wait a bit? We could go the 3rd week of June or anytime after that. Any suggestions? Lastly, do you think the crowds are worse in the summer or second week of March? Thanks!

Itchy
04-18-2008, 07:38 AM
I would think that the crowds will be the same in March as the summer. The only real difference would be the HEAT:fan::faint:.

I have been to DW that last of June and the heat and rain were something else. I have never done that again.:shake:

Strmchsr
04-18-2008, 08:11 AM
March crowds are usually dependent upon Easter. They're probably pretty close to the same as June, though night quite as heavy as July. The earlier you can go in June the better.

chefmickey3
04-18-2008, 08:58 AM
We have gone in the summer every year except one November trip because we are both teachers. The heat is really bad in the afternoon. We also have three small kids so we usually go back for swimming or naps. Crowd-wise we have always found it manageable. Use fast-pass, try to get to the parks when they open (especially if you want to enjoy Fantasyland), and expect to go slow and enjoy the World! We are going for 10 days in August this year and can't wait!

thrillme
04-18-2008, 10:10 AM
We've always gone in the summer. It's HOT everywhere so I guess it doesn't really matter. Being from Texas...HOT is HOT.

Baby cornstarch works like a champ to keep cool as does getting wet.

Fast Passes help out a lot. "Sometimes" for inexplainable reasons some lines aren't long? We've jumped on Dinosaur and Mission Space ORANGE side in about 10 minutes. :confused: Some rides offer the single rider line. They SAY you could be separated from your party for up to 30 minutes but...my experience is most often you just at the MOST have to wait for ONE car. If you have older kids in your party...this "might" an option. OR...one person goes first and waits for the child to follow then the second adult goes.

Towards the later part of the afternoon people seem to disappear. If you're staying in one of the resorts you can stay pretty late at certian parks.

The positive thing about going in the summer is that parks are usually at full swing. Anything that's going to be open that year is open. They're open longer so you have time to go back and swim and take a nap instead of making it an all day marathon.

Beast_fanatic
04-18-2008, 11:39 AM
If possible, I'd wait until the last half of August to go as the crowds begin to drop off somewhat as schools begin to return to session during August.

chefmickey3
04-18-2008, 11:48 AM
Does anyone know the first day of school for the kids in Forida (or the south) this year? I know school is just ending so you may not want to think about it starting again, but we are going August 10-20 and it is the latest we have ever gone in the summer and wonder if we may benefit from slightly smaller crowds.

DestinationWDW
04-18-2008, 01:08 PM
Hello,

I currently reside in Atlanta, school starts first week of August and ends last week of May. I would avoid going to Disney in August if you can not handle the heat, Disney offers free dining at this time frame. So that means the parks are busy, must make dining reservations for sit down meals and it is Very Very HOT and HUMID. If you do decide to go in August, arrive at the parks 30 minutes before opening have lunch and go back to your resort and nap or swim, then go back to the park for diner and enjoy the extra magic hours in the evening. One thing to remember, the lines are long, people heard like cattle in the queue line, only god knows why, and tempers flare, young and old. Take your time and try to enjoy the magic. Drink lots of water, you can become dehigdrated very easily.

We always pull our kids out of school to go in October, but I think the best time is in January, very light for attendance.

Good luck with your decission

wdwfansince75
04-18-2008, 01:27 PM
Our family has always come to the same conclusion as Mike....Summer is better for families....

We have made trips to WDW during the summer when our kids were young, then skipped as we tried to pay for their college....Once we were going again, we had grandkids in school, so most of our trips have been in June or July. Yes, the heat can get intense....Yes, it does rain many afternoons...and yes, there are lots of other people there, with their own children...but....

Parks are open later. Rain drives many away, but it never rains in the evenings....makes for lower crowds on evenings after heavier rains...

Heat can be tolerated....try pools or naps or other breaks during heat of late afternoons....Try early dinner seating at 1900 Park Faire or Chef Mickey's, then back to MK.

Use Park Hoppers and Fast Passes....and schedule a "make up" day, so if the heat or storms wipe out a key day in your itinerary, re-schedule, and use the remainder of the lost day as a bonus day....try something new....try walking up to a resturant you have never done...great time for Coral Reef or Garden Grill....Or Liberty Tree Tavern.....Get on the Monorail, and ride til the rain stops....or visit one of the resorts you haven't visited before.

The best times are the result of departure from plan....be flexible, and enjoy....every trip has been different, and every trip has been spectacular!

Jasper
04-18-2008, 01:31 PM
If the third week of June is the first time you can go then you are going to be in the middle of some really big crowds already. However the following week and into July is even worse. So, my suggestion is to go as soon as you can. Yes, it will be hot but as long as everyone goes with a smile on their lips and in their heart you will make it through!

As for March, you can often find times when there are very light crowds. Of course, light is a relative term when talking about Disney World! As someone else has already mentioned March is somewhat Dependant on when Easter falls because that is always a busy time. Also, because grade schools and high schools are all over the place with their spring breaks and the like those things don't play much into the crowd sizes

wdwfan
04-18-2008, 01:44 PM
It's hot for a couple of days, then to me, you get used to & don't mind the heat. Just make sure you have a sweater for any TS restaurants because they keep them cold. :freeze: