PDA

View Full Version : Mac vs PC (or PC vs Mac)

magicofdisney
04-17-2008, 08:29 PM
Does anyone else love these commercials like I do? The latest two I'm watching, PC in therapy and PC doing Yoga are great. Does Mac remind you of Keanu Reeves? :)

IamBelle
04-17-2008, 08:43 PM
I luv these ads!! (oh BTW, did u know Mac is dating Drew Barrymore?) just thought i would add that in!:thumbsup: looking foward to the next commercial!

castlegirl
04-17-2008, 08:46 PM
I do too!:thumbsup:

Even though I'm a PC user, I've heard a Mac is easier to use. After the ease of use of my Apple iPod, my next computer just may be a Mac!

BTW, I think the "Mac" is Justin Long. He was in "Dodgeball" and the old TV show "Ed". Someone may correct me, but from what I read in the tabloids, he dates Drew Barrymore ;)

Rhetoric2000
04-18-2008, 07:22 AM
This is interesting because in Britain we had our own version of this advert which was heavily lambasted as shooting itself in the foot due to the casting invloved.

Our version has David Mitchell (PC) and Robert Webb (Mac) who star in a sitcom called "Peep Show". The basic conceit of the show is that Mitchell's character is an affable loser who makes farcical mistakes all the time, while Webb plays a character who tries to be trendy, fails, and ends up ruining everything.

The people who cast the advert over here clearly had either never watched the show or had no idea that what this would end up saying in the adverts is basically: "PC's are cumbersome, a bit useless, but are essentially lovable and will do the job while Macs are for smug, preening wannabes"

I'm pretty sure they ended up cutting the campaign short as they realised what they'd done. My understanding is that the campaign has been pretty succesful in many other countries and people find them very funny. They were funny over here but just...the wrong way round.

2Epcot
04-18-2008, 10:33 PM
I really enjoy the commercial. I've gone to the Mac site in the past and watched all of them. They also had the Japanese versions which were done almost exactly the same. I use both PC and Mac, but enjoy my mac better.

threeh
04-19-2008, 01:10 PM
Whenever I see those commercials I kick myself for not getting a mac. They are soo funny and that is just how my windows vista acts:thedolls:

Dracula766
04-22-2008, 06:34 PM
Macs RULE! :cool:

I won't even work at a place that runs on PCs

Mufasa
04-22-2008, 08:20 PM
The thing that is lost in the Mac vs. PC ads that were created in other countries is how the actor that plays PC in the US ads (John Hodgman) pretty clearly makes you think of Bill Gates of Microsoft and Apple has capitalized on this with a few other Mac vs. PC spots that they air at their yearly developer's conference.

With Mac played by Justin Long, it's not as much a portrayal of Steve Jobs, at least not near the one Noah Wyle did for a TV movie in 1999. He was even invited to open Apple's Macworld conference that year doing his impersonation of Steve Jobs which surprisingly the real Steve Jobs took in good stride (especially since Jobs is known for his legendary bad temper).