PDA

View Full Version : Work Begins on Disney's "Flamingo Crossings"

Ed
04-15-2008, 04:25 PM
From OrlandoSentinel.com 4/15/08

Disney World's Flamingo Crossings roadwork starts

Site preparation is beginning for the future road network that will serve Walt Disney World's planned new lower-rent commercial district, Flamingo Crossings.

Contractors working for the Reedy Creek Improvement District are pushing dirt around outside the interchange of State Road 429 and Western Way, the western entrance into Disney.

At that interchange, Disney World is planning a 450-acre commercial area of small restaurants, stores, service shops and "value-oriented" hotels and motels.

Last week Disney filed paperwork with the Orange County Comptroller's Office announcing property swaps that give Reedy Creek the land it needs to build some of the roads in the area. Plans call for Hartzog Road, which is mostly unpaved there, to be relocated somewhat and paved. A loop road will come off Hartzog to the west.

Reedy Creek Administrator Ray Maxwell said contractors will be mostly leveling land and installing utility lines for the next few months.

Flamingo Crossings is to be built in phases over eight to 10 years.

Disney's land company, Buena Vista Land Co., began advertising parcels in the area in November.

Plans call for 4,000 to 5,000 rooms in low- to mid-rise lodges -- priced to compete with moderate hotels and motels off Disney property.

The 300,000 to 500,000 square feet of retail space at Flamingo Crossings would target merchants of practical wares and services that tourists, Disney employees and area residents might need, such as groceries, toiletries or basic clothing -- thereby competing with area shopping centers and outlet stores that draw many visitors off Disney property. The restaurants might include a mix of fast-food and casual-dining franchises not common on Disney grounds.

GrumpyFan
04-15-2008, 06:19 PM
It's going to be interesting to see how or if Disney integrates this property into the rest of the resort. I'm a bit concerned about what the addition of another 5000 rooms on property is going to do to traffic. I hate to say this, because I know what will happen, it will spawn a bunch of monorail rumors, but could it be time for them to consider the Monorail expansion? Or, at least some kind of transportation upgrade that reduces their heavy reliance on busses.

EpcotChic23
04-17-2008, 09:15 AM
What scares me about this idea is, I love going to WDW and stepping away from reality. Not seeing a Wal Mart or tons and tons of fast food resturants. And getting away from the hussel and bussel or everyday living(including traffic). I feel this new project will take a way from that feeling of WDW. But I will be the first to admit if there is a Starbucks I will pay a visit.:secret:

Disney_Barbie
04-17-2008, 11:27 AM
I can't decide if I'm for or against this. Admittedly, in my head I'm very competative for disney's sake in the whole disney vs. the rest of Orlando (seaworld, Universal, ect) debate. And part of me is overjoyed when disney thinks of any which way to keep people on property. I also can think of times when we've forgotten or ran out of something seemingly silly on a trip (like a particular brand of toothpaste or something) and would LOVE to run to a target, but alas am with out a car or any means to get there without paying an arm&leg for a taxi. I know, I can buy toothpaste or whatever in like every resort gift shop, but I guess I'm picky or something!
I think of those kinda things and think "Ok, this could work" and then I rememberd what everyone else mentioned, the traffic, the extra crowds, the lack of "disney" feel.
It really makes me a bit torn!

joonyer
04-17-2008, 03:59 PM
It appears that the location for this development is on the western side (along Hartzog Rd.) of HWY 429 (the new bypass from the FL Turnpike to I-4), at the intersection of Western Way, which is already on the western side of the Disney Property. So it doesn't look like to me that it will seem like it is actually INSIDE WDW, although it may be on what has been Disney owned property. It is not a location that has been considered by most to be within the traditional WDW boundaries and has never been developed. It is not next to any current WDW developments although it is close to (but on the other side of 429) from the Legends at Orange Lake golf course development, which is a big buffer between the Flamingo Crossing development and Animal Kingdom Park and Lodge, which is are the closest WDW developments (as the crow flies) to this location.
If that is the case, I don't think it will really have too much effect on the feeling that we all enjoy of being "out of the real world" when we are in WDW. Yes, it will only be about 5 minutes drive down Western Way from CSR, but having driven that way before, it will really feel like you are leaving WDW to get there, IMO. It's not really any closer to WDW than all the touristy-tacky development that is already there along Hwy. 192.

GrumpyFan
04-17-2008, 04:04 PM
What scares me about this idea is, I love going to WDW and stepping away from reality. Not seeing a Wal Mart or tons and tons of fast food resturants. And getting away from the hussel and bussel or everyday living(including traffic). I feel this new project will take a way from that feeling of WDW. But I will be the first to admit if there is a Starbucks I will pay a visit.:secret:

I understand your concern, and I think a lot of us have the same one. According to the initial press release though:

All of the private development would be developed under Disney's watchful eye, fitting into the project's master plan and aligning with Disney's restrictions and prior developments, Finger said. That is one reason Flamingo Crossings land will remain within the Reedy Creek district, rather than subjecting it to Orange County's development oversight.

So, it sounds like there is at least a plan and some restrictions in place. If anything, since the location of this is pretty much out of the normal flow of everyday guest traffic on-property, it shouldn't be too bad.

readytogo2
04-18-2008, 04:28 PM
wont the addition of 4000-5000 more rooms make the crowds at wdw even larger? where will they all go?

Jasper
04-18-2008, 05:04 PM
Wow, Disney is going to expand the monorail!!! :D:D I just love it when that rumor starts every time Disney turns over a shovel of dirt!

Scar
04-18-2008, 07:02 PM
wont the addition of 4000-5000 more rooms make the crowds at wdw even larger? where will they all go?The 5th and 6th theme parks.

joonyer
04-19-2008, 12:27 AM
wont the addition of 4000-5000 more rooms make the crowds at wdw even larger? where will they all go?

Probably more likely going to just take more tourists away from the older off-property budget hotels along 192 and I-4. Just adding a bunch of hotel rooms nearby won't make more people come to WDW. It just gives the ones who are coming anyway more options. There will be some older hotels that go under from the competition. New rooms being added in Orlando are mostly a response to more people coming to visit the area, and not the cause.

big blue and hairy
04-20-2008, 03:20 PM
More likely some of the low rent motels outside WDW could go out of business. You can't force more people to come, you can only try to influence them in their choices.

:sulley:

Jeff G
04-21-2008, 09:37 AM
It sounds like Disney is bringing the International Drive experience to it's doorsteps.

Mickey91
04-28-2008, 02:03 AM
Okay, this is a little off topic. Why would Disney build more lower rent hotels when they never finished the Pop Century area? I would think they would finish one project before heading into another similar.

johnO
04-28-2008, 10:21 AM
Are there any drawings or renditions of what WDW is planning this thing to be like?

GrumpyFan
04-28-2008, 10:51 AM
Are there any drawings or renditions of what WDW is planning this thing to be like?

The following thread has a picture attached.

http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=121093&highlight=Flamingo+Crossing

DisneyWizard
04-28-2008, 03:52 PM
I'm surprised with this they aren't going to update and expand Downtown Disney. It's aging rapidly.

NJGIRL
04-30-2008, 04:50 PM

This is exactly what I was thinking.

This is the number one reason (from what I get on this board) that people swear by staying on Disney property. It will be intesting to see if this will taint "the disney experience" in those people's eyes and if staying on Disney property will be so important anymore.

joonyer
05-01-2008, 01:14 PM
This is exactly what I was thinking.

This is the number one reason (from what I get on this board) that people swear by staying on Disney property. It will be intesting to see if this will taint "the disney experience" in those people's eyes and if staying on Disney property will be so important anymore.

Although this project is being developed on land that is owned by Disney, it is not within the traditional confines of what we think of as Walt Disney World. It is on the other side of Hwy. 429 (the four-lane bypass highway on the western edge of Disney's property). It will not be visible from any WDW resort or theme park or when traveling between resorts and theme parks. You will probably be able to see it form the top of Summit Plummit in Blizzard Beach or the top of Expedition Everest in AK (if you look quick enough) but it won't otherwise be visible from within WDW. The closest WDW resort by road will be Coronado Springs (only about 5 minutes away) but you will have to drive to the end of Western Way, and across 429, basically out of WDW to get there. It will be like driving out to 192 is now, only to a much prettier & less tacky development based on the pictures I have seen.

GrumpyFan
05-01-2008, 05:35 PM
jonnyer is right. Most WDW guests probably won't even see this place as none of the regular transportation including DME go anywhere near where it's being built. In fact, I'm guessing that most people who do see it, won't even know it's Disney property.

Jasper
05-01-2008, 05:56 PM
To me the additional rooms being put in here seem to make perfect sense when you consider the push Disney is putting on with selling timeshares at the existing on site properties. It appears to me that they are going to make the existing on site properties into places for primarily either the wealthy or for those who want to buy into the dream at a higher level than the rest of us can afford or for whatever reason we don't want to commit to. However, they also don't want to lose the money from people like me who can only afford to go every few years so they are going to have a bunch of less expensive rooms at the perimeter of the property for us.

joonyer
05-01-2008, 06:12 PM
I may be wrong, but I thought from reading about this project that the hotels and retail stores going into this project would not be operated by Disney, but that the real estate would be leased by independent operators, including the hotels. The only control Disney would have is with architectural design & standards for the buildings and grounds.

joelkfla
05-02-2008, 03:06 AM
jonnyer is right. Most WDW guests probably won't even see this place as none of the regular transportation including DME go anywhere near where it's being built. In fact, I'm guessing that most people who do see it, won't even know it's Disney property.It is, in fact, outside the WDW entrance arch on Western Way, and therefore off property to appearances.