PDA

View Full Version : Could I be allergic to strawberries??

ljv1975
04-14-2008, 10:30 AM
I love strawberries and have never had a problem. I even ate a strawberry jello salad on Easter with no problems. However, on Saturday I cut up some for DD and I and shortly after eating them my head felt dizzy and really warm. I almost felt like I was going to pass out or be sick. I figured it was just some weird pregnancy thing. But, yesterday I made strawberry shortcake for dessert and a little while later, I felt the exact same way. So now I'm thinking I might have been having a very slight allergic reaction to them. :( I don't have any other allergies so I don't know if these are typical symptoms or not. Could a person all of a sudden develop an allergy to something? I'm 8 months pregnant, so maybe the baby has decided he doesn't like strawberries?? :confused:

KineGirl
04-14-2008, 10:59 AM
It could be - Im sure you know how drastic the hormonal changes are during pregnancy. I did have a similar thing happen when I was carrying my DD with canned veggies :sick: which thankfully I didnt eat often. And I think Ive heard somewhere about strawberry seeds being sharp, irritating to the intestines and containing a mild toxin (?) Id steer clear of the strawberries for now but of course it never hurts to check in with your Dr.

Good Luck
Loretta

offwego
04-14-2008, 11:59 AM
It's possible. many food allergies can be cummlative instead of a one time exposure thing.

I'd be tested to be sure.

tinklover
04-14-2008, 12:02 PM
yes you can develope an allergy out of no where. it has just recently happened with me
starting in sept. for 33 yrs i have been eating eggs and one day in sept i made scrambled eggs . 20 min late iw as curled up in a ball in pain thinking i got a bath of bad eggs and i now had food poisoning. well needless to say i have tried eggs since them and no matter where or when i get them i get that same thing so now no more eggs . it also affects me if i drink egg nog, or have ceasar salad dressing . yet mayo does not bother me and neither does ranch dressing which has eggs in it it's odd but yes it can happen.

disney's pocahanta's
04-14-2008, 02:35 PM
I love strawberries and have never had a problem. I even ate a strawberry jello salad on Easter with no problems. However, on Saturday I cut up some for DD and I and shortly after eating them my head felt dizzy and really warm. I almost felt like I was going to pass out or be sick. I figured it was just some weird pregnancy thing. But, yesterday I made strawberry shortcake for dessert and a little while later, I felt the exact same way. So now I'm thinking I might have been having a very slight allergic reaction to them. :( I don't have any other allergies so I don't know if these are typical symptoms or not. Could a person all of a sudden develop an allergy to something? I'm 8 months pregnant, so maybe the baby has decided he doesn't like strawberries?? :confused:
Yes you can develope a allergie at any time i have a daughter with servere allergies if you are allergic to something you will get hives that itch =red welted spots or bathroom problems#2 breathing troubleand or itching in the mouth and throat However feeling dizzy and warm are probably due to your pregnancy your feeling dizzy and warm are how i felt in my 8th&9th month of pregnancy i rember i felt like i was going down for the count very dizzy to the point if panic everything seemed like it was coliding together my vision and all very scary!drink lot's of water and tell your doctor mine was do to blood pressure prob in the last 2 months hope this is helpful to you in some way but i dont think it is a allergy good luck best wishes:mickey:

BriarRose0708
04-14-2008, 02:44 PM
You very well could be. What you described is exactly how I discovered my strawberry allergy! It's genetic in my family, so I knew it was only a matter of time. To be safe, stay away from them until you can get tested. Food allergies are nothing to mess around with!

thrillme
04-15-2008, 02:18 AM
You're going to have to be tested to be sure. I know when I was pregnant I would break out when I ate certian barbeque sauces and cottage cheese which I had eaten since I was tiny may be totally sick:ack: In the meantime my cravings for spinach just about made me want to climb walls. I thought I was giving birth to Popeye.

When you're pregnant you're body does weird stuff. Back off of strawberries till after the baby. If they still bother you after you're done nursing (if that's what you choose to do) then get tested.

BelleLovesTheBeast
04-15-2008, 02:44 PM
Yes! This recently happened to me. I've always had allergies but never to food (except Bleu Cheese - mold allergy). Last summer I bit into a cherry (which I love) and my lips and tongue swelled up.

Since you like strawberries I hope it is just something with the pregnancy and not an allergic reaction. However I agree with everyone else that you should get tested to make sure.

MNNHFLTX
04-16-2008, 10:56 AM
The symptoms you describe are not typical of a true food allergy are more likely to be related to other causes, especially if you're pregnant. To be on the safe side, let your doctor know about these episodes and see what they think.