PDA

View Full Version : South NJ to get 2 indoor water parks

PirateLover
04-14-2008, 07:47 AM
Water parks ride a wave

By Erin Duffy

Inquirer Staff Writer
Is South Jersey big enough for two indoor water parks?

A local builder and the owners of the Mount Laurel Marriott are each spending more than $20 million to build competing year-round indoor water parks: CoCo Key at the Mount Laurel Marriott and Sahara Sam's in Berlin.

The people behind the projects say they are not worrying about the competition.

"When you take the population we have, two water parks are just not enough," said Ilya Girlya, finance director of family-owned Sambe Construction Co. of Pennsauken. He is also heading a newly formed subsidiary of the company, H20 Entertainment Group, which will build and operate Sahara Sam's.

Girlya, a father himself, said he was inspired to build the park by the lack of year-round family entertainment in South Jersey and the rest of the Philadelphia area.

The park is an estimated $23 million undertaking, encompassing 58,000 square feet. It will include numerous raft slides, a surfing simulation machine, activity pools with ropes and mini-slides and a retractable roof to improve ventilation.

Prices for admission will vary by age, but Girlya said a family with two adults and two children will be able to buy a year-round pass for less than $600. Day passes will be $25 to $28 per person, he said.

However, William L. Haralson, president of William L. Haralson & Associates Inc., a New Mexico-based consulting firm specializing in theme and water parks, isn't so sure that Girlya's plan holds water.

"The concept that every other indoor water park in this country has followed is that you have to have a hotel with an attachment, specifically a separate attachment," he said.

Calling Sahara Sam's an "untested concept," Haralson noted that in the United States there is only one other indoor water park that is not associated with an adjacent hotel or resort, and it's in Anchorage.

CoCo Key's association with the Mount Laurel Marriott will provide a built-in pool of potential customers, Haralson said.

"It's a total experience - you come there, you sleep there, you eat there, you play there," Haralson said. "You can't do that with a freestanding water park. You're just not going to get people to drive 200 miles for a four-hour experience."

This doesn't seem to faze Girlya, who maintains that Sahara Sam's will benefit the regional customer who doesn't want to drive far to have fun.

"We're able to do things a hotel with a water park can't do, like offer yearlong membership," he said.

According to Girlya, "We cater to the community first," while hotel resorts like CoCo Key "cater to the community second."

Kate Bromley, marketing manager for the Mount Laurel Marriott and the CoCo Key Water Resort, is similarly untroubled by the prospect of competition from Sahara Sam's.

Calling the water parks "two distinct products," Bromley said, "I think competition is healthy and it will increase this area's exposure as a destination.

"I think both our projects will excel and give families a lot of choices."

CoCo Key, with a budget of approximately $25 million, is part of a multimillion-dollar renovation by the Mount Laurel Marriott, which hopes to expand on its business-travel customer base. The park is scheduled to open in spring 2009, with both overnight visitors and purchasers of day passes able to enjoy slides, a dive-in movie theater - yes, dive-in - and a water playground complete with a 300-gallon tipping bucket. The prices have not been set.

"The water-resort industry is . . . growing very quickly," Bromley said. "Our goal is to make a local, affordable family fun destination."

While indoor water parks have been slow to catch on in the Northeast, they are a hugely popular attraction in the Midwest. In Wisconsin, the town of Wisconsin Dells, with a population of just over 5,000, has exploded as a tourist destination, boasting 19 indoor water parks, all attached to hotels, and the title of "Waterpark Capital of the World."

The town is also widely recognized as giving birth to the water park trend in 1994, when hotelier Stan Anderson saw his occupancy levels soar at the Polynesian Resort after installing a small slide inside the hotel's pool. A few hotels and resorts tentatively followed suit, and by 2002 there were 50 indoor water parks in the United States. Today, that number is around 170, with approximately 80 more parks under construction, according to an industry report by consultants Haralson and Jeff Coy.

There are two water parks in Pennsylvania, one in Erie and the other in the Poconos.

At first glance, the booming trend makes sense: hotels with a water park can often charge up to $100 more per night than those without, and many families find this style of built-in entertainment a convenient way to placate cranky or bored kids.

"What's appealing to parents is that they know their children are in a hermetically sealed environment. Their kids aren't out in the parking lot being run over or kidnapped," Haralson said.

Chilly weather doesn't faze these guests, who can enjoy the perks of summer fun even in the dead of winter, and hotels can book rooms 365 days a year, not just during peak seasons.

However, construction for these attractions isn't cheap, nor are the maintenance and operating costs. Many resorts are constantly updating and improving, driven by the desire to add more and more square feet of water slides and wave pools. Wisconsin Dells' Chula Vista Resort is undergoing a $200 million expansion.

Families with school-age children make up the bulk of customers, so water parks often see attendance drop when kids are in school. Hotels with water parks can try to compensate by adding conference rooms to attract business clientele on the slow weekdays.

Adding to the uncertainty of financial viability is the fact that few resorts report separate financial data for their water parks, which are treated as an extension of the hotel and its earnings.

This can make it difficult to account for profits, although Sahara Sam's consulting firm, Amusement Entertainment Management, is confident the business venture will succeed.

"Based on the demographics of the area, it will be a very strong performer," Jerry Merola, chief financial officer of Amusement Entertainment, said.

Still, time will tell if these two parks can manage to make a splash once they open.

"We were born here and raised here," Girlya said. "It's very important [to the family] that the community embraces this project."

prprincess
04-14-2008, 10:37 AM
I'm glad to hear that these two projects are still on. I heard about the both of them maybe two years ago, and then nothing. So I was worried that they'd been cancelled. Both sound like a ton of fun, and I remember there was already even a website up for the CoCo Key.

NJGIRL
04-14-2008, 11:12 AM
If you look at how places like the "funplex" and other indoor recreation does in South Jersey I think both of these water parks will do well especially if they sell day and annual passes.

PirateLover
04-14-2008, 08:55 PM
If you look at how places like the "funplex" and other indoor recreation does in South Jersey I think both of these water parks will do well especially if they sell day and annual passes.

Agreed. I think that there definitely is enough of a local market for both.

drummerboy
04-15-2008, 08:10 AM
When I was growing up in South Jersey in the 50s and 60s, there were several recreational lakes that did very well with family seasonal memberships and local use. I think the population is dense enough to support something like that--you wouldn't necessarily need to have people driving in from 400 miles away.

ElenitaB
04-15-2008, 09:34 PM
I think it's a great idea, but really wish they had thought of putting something like this a bit further north in Joisey. I know that we would consider driving the 75 miles it would take us to get there (vs. the 91 miles it would take us to go to Great Wolf Lodge in the Poconos).

Hammer
04-16-2008, 02:49 PM
I think it's a great idea, but really wish they had thought of putting something like this a bit further north in Joisey. I know that we would consider driving the 75 miles it would take us to get there (vs. the 91 miles it would take us to go to Great Wolf Lodge in the Poconos).

Well, CoCo Key will be about a mile from my house (okay, maybe 2 miles), so I say that can be where the next Intercot South Jersey meet is held once it is open! Ellen, to give you an idea on where this is being built, it is right off exit 4 of the NJ Turnpike.

NJGIRL
04-17-2008, 10:45 AM
Well, CoCo Key will be about a mile from my house (okay, maybe 2 miles), so I say that can be where the next Intercot South Jersey meet is held once it is open! Ellen, to give you an idea on where this is being built, it is right off exit 4 of the NJ Turnpike.

I would love to meet there. It's only about an hour from my house.

prprincess
04-17-2008, 11:41 AM
I would love to meet there. Same here! I'm only about 15 minutes away.

PirateLover
04-18-2008, 01:51 AM
I'd love to have an Intercot Meet there too! Seems like the perfect place for one. Can't it open faster ;) Right now depending on traffic and which way I take I think I'm about 25-30 mins away. Could be closer by the time it opens because there's a possibility I might be actually moving to NJ depending on what happens with jobs and stuff but that's neither here nor there.

Christine, I think one of my friends from High School lived right by there too (family's house). It was in Mt. Laurel and I'm pretty sure that I always had to make this quick little u-turn thing on 73 to get on the south side around where the Marriott was. I think it was to turn onto Fellowship Rd maybe, but then after that I can't remember what her street was. It was cul de sec type area still heavily under construction. They moved into former Flyers player Sandy McCarthy's house after he got traded. I actually have a really funny story about that but it isn't Intercot friendly, so if anyone is curious, PM me!

DisneyAndRedSox
04-18-2008, 06:17 AM
Former Medford girl trapped in New England here.....
In Mass we have a Coco Key at a Sheraton in Danvers. When it first opened you had to either be a guest at the hotel and book a package, or book a party to get in. I think they finally changed it so anyone can get in.