PDA

View Full Version : Mom in a Scooter Question

omearac
04-13-2008, 04:11 PM
We're planning a cruise in October and plan to bring my mom (73) who requires a scooter. She can walk very, very small distances only.

Any advice for getting around the ship on a scooter?

I'm assuming the ship will have one to rent. She doesn't own one.

TammiMcMan
04-13-2008, 05:48 PM
We're planning a cruise in October and plan to bring my mom (73) who requires a scooter. She can walk very, very small distances only.If you haven't done so already, you may want to consider a handicapped accessible stateroom. An ECV will not fit through a standard stateroom door, so it would need to be left outside. You might want to look into a folding style wheelchair as opposed to an ECV.

Any advice for getting around the ship on a scooter?Using elevators for a mobile person is a challenge and it can be frustrating for someone in an ECV. Avoid the mid-ship elevators, which are the smallest.

I'm assuming the ship will have one to rent. She doesn't own one.The only rentals that I'm aware of, are for the sandchairs on Castaway Cay. They are available on a first come/first serve basis. The folks that I've spoken to regarding ECV rentals, have gone through Brevard Medical Supply. They will deliver the ECV right to the ship for you.

Ed
04-13-2008, 07:00 PM
This is the first time I've seen this subject come up, and I'm glad it did. I did a little digging on the DCL website, and found the following two entries (which I'm reproducing here rather than just referring you to the website):

Are there wheelchair-accessible staterooms available?

Yes, Disney Cruise Line® offers accessible staterooms and suites, equipped for Guests with disabilities. Features include ramped bathroom thresholds, open bed frames, added phones in the bathroom/nightstand, bathroom and shower handrails, fold-down shower seats, hand-held shower heads, lowered towel and closet bars, and Emergency Call Buttons. All staterooms are non-smoking.

Please note: Guests requiring a wheelchair throughout their cruise must make provisions for the use of that wheelchair prior to the cruise.

What other services are available on board for Guests with disabilities?

Transfer tiers are provided at one of our feature pools. Sand wheelchairs are available at Castaway Cay. Wheelchair accessible restrooms are available in the shipboard common areas. Assistive Listening Systems are available in the main theaters and show rooms. Closed captioning is available for stateroom televisions and selected onboard video monitors. American Sign Language interpretation is available for live performances on designated cruise dates. Stateroom Communication Kits containing door knock and phone alerts, phone amplifier, bed shaker notification, a strobe light smoke detector and a Text Typewriter (TTY) are available.

How can I receive more information about accommodations for Guests with disabilities?

If you would like to receive additional information or request accommodations for Guests with disabilities, please discuss your needs with the reservationist at the time of booking. For information via TTY, please call (407) 566-7455.†

Services for Guest with Disabilities

Guests with disabilities have access to comfortable, functional staterooms and a full range of services on every Disney Cruise Line® ship and Disney's private island paradise, Castaway Cay.

Our wheelchair-accessible staterooms and suites include:

Ramped bathroom thresholds,
Open bed frames,
Added phones in the bathroom/nightstand,
Bathroom and shower handrails
Fold-down shower seats
Hand-held shower heads
Lowered towel and closet bars
Emergency Call Buttons
Stateroom Communication Kits containing door knock and phone alerts, phone amplifier, bed shaker notification, a strobe light smoke detector and a Text Typewriter (TTY)

Other services include:
Transfer tiers at the Quiet Cove Pool
Wheelchair accessible restrooms in the shipboard common areas
Assistive Listening Systems in the main theaters and show rooms
Closed captioning for stateroom televisions and selected onboard video monitors
American Sign Language interpretation for live performances on designated cruise dates
Sand wheelchairs at Castaway Cay

If you would like to receive additional information or request accommodations for Guests with disabilities, please discuss your needs with the reservationist at the time of booking.

It doesn't really address whether wheelchairs/scooters are available to rent onboard, but as Tammi mentioned, there are local rental companies that provide that service.

Thanks for raising this important question!

wendy*darling
04-13-2008, 07:12 PM
I do not know if this is 100% correct, but I have heard that scooters/ECV's are not easy to use on board, and not available for rent. The hallways and doorways are too narrow to maneuver around the ship.

I would suggest you call DCL directly to discuss your options.
I think a standard wheelchair on board and the sand-wheelchair at Castaway Cay might be the best way for your mom.

TammiMcMan
04-13-2008, 08:22 PM
Linda, that is my understanding as well. I agree that a folding wheelchair might be the better option on a cruise. If it was for the parks, then I'd definitely go with the ECV. There's no where near that much roaming space on the ship though and some areas would be quite challenging in a bulkier scooter.