PDA

View Full Version : Swan & Dolphin

big blue and hairy
04-13-2008, 03:34 PM
Several times I've seen threads about the Swan & Dolphin. Someone always says they're not as Disney-feeling. Before DW and I stayed there we kind of thought that, too. We were talking about it this morning and were discussing the fact that unless you're in a value resort, the resorts aren't in your face Disney.

Other than the wake-up call, and the fact that you know Disney doesn't own it, what do you find un-Disney? They both have a Disneyworld store, they're in the middle of everything....just wondering...

:sulley:

big blue and hairy
04-14-2008, 12:13 PM
Hello? Anybody home?

:sulley:

DisneyDog
04-14-2008, 01:39 PM
I think I agree with you. We will be staying at the Swan in a few weeks, with our 5 year old, and I am very excited about it. I think the Swan and Dolphin have as much Disney feel as any moderate or higher, owned by Disney.

LauraF
04-14-2008, 01:42 PM
For me, to make something Disney-feeling isn't about icons, characters, or (god-forbid) mouse-ear icons everywhere. It's about the attention to detail that only Disney seems to provide.

While I've never stayed at the Swan or Dolphin, I have walked their property while staying at the Boardwalk and I think they do a fine job of theming. All the resorts, no matter their level, are immersive experiences where all the details match. It's that level of class and thoughtfulness that makes an experience Disney for me or not.

moe513
04-14-2008, 05:17 PM
I am thinking of staying here too. For me the location is great. Besides that if the cm are friendly and efficient I think it will be great.

andreallybadeggs
04-14-2008, 07:11 PM
The views from these hotels are certainly Disney and the beds are so comfy you're bound
to have off-to-neverland dreams.:mickey:

Jeff
04-14-2008, 07:30 PM
I agree with you completely.
My family loves the Swan and we have stayed there many times. I never get those with the "non Disney feel" comments. Especially those who have never stayed there!!!!!!!!!

Of the deluxes we have stayed at we rank the Swan better than several.
1. Poly
2. Swan and Boardwalk Inn (tie)
4. Animal Kingdom Lodge
5. Contemporary
6. Beach Club

Welovejiminy!
04-14-2008, 07:37 PM
I was also considering the Swan or the Dolphin for my upcoming trip. Quick question. Can you use your dining plan at these resorts? ie counter service at their food court??

PetefromRI
04-14-2008, 07:40 PM
A few years ago when we stayed at the BC I walked down to check these 2 resorts out.From what I saw,I liked the Dolphin more than the Swan but both looked nice.The pool area was probably the nicest in Disney in my opinion.My wife just has this thing about staying in Hotels with alot of floors.She likes the 2-3 story hotels that Disney has.She says she feels funny taking an elevator in a swim suit,I guess I know what she means,when I was a bronzed Adonis in my 20's it wouldn't bother me but now I'm more of a Larry the Cable Guy than Jack LaLaine.

rj
04-15-2008, 12:16 AM
We stayed at the Dolphin several years ago and disliked it. I will take a Disney Property over the Dolphin any day. The only think we liked about it was the location - but I can go to the Beach Club and get a better resort at the same location.

jnfr2424
04-15-2008, 03:11 PM
In '05 for my mother's 80th B-day she wanted to "hotel hop for 2 weeks and on of the places we stayed was the Dolphin one thing I loved there was they had a 24 hour eatery which was great when we came back from a great night @ Pleasure Island. the Decor is great and as someone else had posted the pool is one of the best in Disney. So far most of the comments have been positive so now I am curious what made it Dolphin/Swan so bad that you will never return?

Tigerinvestigator
04-16-2008, 11:09 AM
This is something I have never understood as well. We stay at the Swan/Dolphin every few years and find it just as Disney as the Disney owned resorts. The staff has always been just as accomodating if not more so than those at the Disney owned resorts. We have stayed at all of the WDW resorts with the exception of Yacht Club, All Star Movies, Old Key West, and Saratoga Springs. I rank Swan/Dolphin right up there with the other Disney owned resorts. My family cannot tell any big difference at all!:thumbsup:

PAYROLL PRINCESS
04-16-2008, 06:55 PM
Count me in on the "I love those resorts". I don't find it UnDisney at all. Especially for the price. Yes as someone posted above you can stay at the Boardwalk or Y&B but you are going to pay more.
And someone else above asked if you can use the Dining Plan-unfortunately this is one of the perks you DON'T get staying at these resorts.
But maybe sooner or later you will be able to do this. Disney didn't promote these resorts on the Disney website and now they do. And I've even heard of someone booking at one of the official resorts and being offered an upgrade to the S&D. So keep your fingers crossed.
And the beds are the BEST!

Pirate Granny
04-16-2008, 07:08 PM
A couple of drawbacks are one...no magic express...two...pay for parking...other than that I think their pool/beach areas are really nice and location is good...
:pirate:

SallyP
04-16-2008, 07:12 PM
I was also considering the Swan or the Dolphin for my upcoming trip. Quick question. Can you use your dining plan at these resorts? ie counter service at their food court??

As far as I know you can not use a Disney Dining Plan at the Swan or Dolphin, they are not Disney owned or operated. I don't think they participate in Magical Express either but I'm not sure.

We enjoy both resorts, Swan & Dolphin. We tried to book a room for a weekend in May but both hotels were full so we ended up getting a standard room at AKL.
The location, the price, the Starwood Points for future stays, and most of all the great restaurants for evening dining are the reasons we stay at either the Swan or the Dolphin. The Il Mulino and Blue Zoo lounges are adult oasis in the middle of the Magic. They are great places to chill down after a day in lively, fun kidsville.

They do offer FL Resident Rates and Passholder rates when available, which usually makes the hotels less expensive than a Disney Deluxe Resort. That is the real reason we stay there more often ... what you get for the money is a better value.