View Full Version : Mom & Me Disneyland Pre-Trip Report

BronxTigger
04-13-2008, 11:54 AM
Disneyland & California Adventure

Dates: April 22-25, 2008

Cast of Characters:
Me (arriving from NYC)
My Mom (arriving from Washington State)

Resort: Candy Cane Inn (includes breakfast each day)

Tickets: Park Hoppers

Park Hours:
Disneyland (DL) 9a-10p each day
California Adventure (CA) 10a-8p each day

Background: Last year, we took a mother/daughter trip to the Mall of America in April and had a great time, so we thought maybe we could take another spring mother/daughter trip. This year, we chose Disneyland as the destination!

Tuesday, April 22
I will be leaving bright and early to get myself to the airport very early. My flight is scheduled to arrive around 11am. I am flying Virgin America for the first time and I’m excited to try a new airline but at the same time a little nervous to be trying something new. This airline says they have “mood lighting” in the cabin, tvs on each seat, and electrical outlets under the seats to charge electronics! This is very important to somebody who has a laptop with 2 hours of battery usage on a 6.5 hour flight!

My mother will be flying out of Washington on a very early flight. She has to layover and is supposed to arrive around 9:30a. Yes, she will get there more than an hour before me. She assures me she will NOT go to the parks without me.

I suspect we will actually enter the parks around 1pm, possibly later if my plane is delayed. (Out of JFK?!? Never!) I am planning to not check any luggage in an attempt to save some time.

We plan to go to Disneyland first. I want to stop at the Mad Hatter and get a pair of Mickey Ears to wear throughout the trip (or until I get annoyed with them). We will do attractions and enjoy the atmosphere until about 4-430ish when we will hop to CA to see the Pixar Play Parade at 5:15. After the parade we will eat dinner at Pacific Wharf (soup in a bread bowl). After dinner we will see how tired we are. We may stay at CA until close (8p) and then go to DTD for beignets at Ralph Brennan’s and some shopping (Basin). Or, we may stay at CA until 8p and then hop to DL until close there at 10p. Or, we may leave CA right after dinner and go to DTD then the hotel or go straight to the hotel.

Wednesday, April 23
We’re planning to go to DL at opening at 9a, do one or two rides (maybe Space Mountain and something else) then hop to CA as close to 10a (their opening) as possible. There is the Disney Visa meet and greet, and it’s only open until 11:30a. We’d like to do that if possible, along with some of the bigger rides like California Screamin’ and Soarin’.

Sometime between 12 and 2 we will head back to DL to catch either the 1p or 2:35p of Billy Hill and the Hillbillies, and combine this with lunch. After lunch, we plan to stay in DL and ride and enjoy what we can until the 7p Parade of Dreams. After the parade, we will eat at either Red Rockett’s or Pinocchio’s Village Haus.

After the parade and dinner, we will see how tired we are and either stick it out to the end (10p) or head back to the Candy Cane.

Thursday, April 24
This is a Magic Morning at DL, so we plan to get there for the 8a opening. We plan to do Nemo or Fantasyland during this extra hour. We will stay in DL enjoying the place until our 12n reservations at Carnation Café.

After lunch, we will hop to CA to catch the 1:55 showing of Aladdin. After Aladdin, we will either watch the Pixar Parade again, or do rides, or hop to DL, or …. We will see what we still have left on our “to do” list and play it by ear. We plan to eat dinner at Taste Pilot’s Grill.

Friday, April 25
We have the vouchers for Toontown Morning that we can use either on Wednesday or Friday, but since today is a Food & Wine Festival Day at CA, we think it will be busier than normal at CA. So, we plan to do CA on Wednesday and do the Toontown morning today. Toontown usually opens an hour after the park, but with TT mornings, it opens at 9 for people with a voucher. So, we will start in Toontown and then from there we will finish any unfinished business throughout the parks and DTD. We may hop to CA and check out the Food & Wine Festival, but it doesn’t really interest either one of us. As you may have noticed from our multiple CS meals, we are not into gourmet food.

This is the only day out of our four days that Fantasmic!, the Electrical Parade, and the Fireworks are showing. This is a double-edged sword. If they are not showing on the weeknights, then Disney does not expect huge crowds, which is nice. However, it means we are missing all three events because we are flying out on this day.

I’m assuming my mom will need to leave the DLR area at 1-2ish and I’ll need to leave around 5-6ish to get to the airport. We’ll be using Super Shuttle so I’m sure they’ll tell us the time to be ready.

I’m not making any promises, but I think I read somewhere that the Candy Cane Inn has complimentary internet access. If this is the case and I’m not a total zombie, I may be able to do daily, “live” trip reports with photos. If not, look for the reports sometime after April 25th.

tinkwest
04-13-2008, 01:24 PM
You are so organized. Good for you. Hope all your well thought out plans work out to make your trip extra special.

Try to get to the Billy show about an hour ahead of time to grab a good table and get through the usually long and slow food service line.

BronxTigger
04-13-2008, 05:26 PM
Thanks. I'm trying to find a balance between scheduled things (like not-to-be-missed shows and parades) and unscheduled things.

Good to know about the Billy Hill show too. I had read somewhere to get there about a half hour early but that is a good point about slow food lines.

DisneyDudet
04-13-2008, 08:14 PM
Sounds good! You gotta do ToT at DCA too! We noticed HUGELY that there was very little people at DCA, during any given day, so that will help! We loved Taste Pilot's Grilll, as well!

You are just so planned out, Bethany!

Jared
04-13-2008, 09:55 PM
I told you I'd read your report!

Sounds like you have everything planned well. You know I'm so envious you're actually going to Disneyland.

Have an amazing time, and I will continue talking to you on AIM now.

:)

NotaGeek
04-13-2008, 11:52 PM
Have a great time! :mickey:

Melanie
04-14-2008, 01:44 AM
Sounds like good plans! Enjoy! :balloon:

disneydrmr
04-14-2008, 09:24 AM
Hope you and your mom have a great trip! Eat some beignets for me! They are VERY addictive! Don't ride Screamin' shortly after eating.. we made that mistake and I was sick the rest of the night! You will LOVE LOVE LOVE the Alladin show! Try to catch the Totem Cermony with Brother Bear in CA if you have time! That was a really cute show! And make sure you ride the Roger Rabbit Car Spin (can't remember the real name at the moment) my sister, friend and I laughed ourselves silly on this ride! Have a great and magical time! And tell Stitch hello for me please!

pogo
04-14-2008, 11:21 AM
I hope you have as good a time as I think you will ! :mickey:

Travel safe and enjoy the time with your Mom ! This is a special trip indeed ! :D

offwego
04-14-2008, 12:13 PM
What a great plan. Sounds like you have everything well thought out.

I hope you have a wonderful time!!

Tink&Goofy
04-14-2008, 08:50 PM
I hope you have a wonderful time! Too bad about Fantasmic - its a great show - and different than at WDW.

Just remember, DL is usually significantly more crowded than DCA - especially on the weekend. If you are at DL in the afternoon, and it starts getting crowded, head over to DCA for some breathing room! Enjoy!

ElenitaB
04-15-2008, 04:27 PM
Have a great time! Looking forward to reading your trip reports and seeing all the pics you'll be taking with your new picture machine! :mickey:

ChipnDaleGal
04-17-2008, 10:54 AM
We stayed at the Candy Cane for the first time last week and we just loved it. I hope you and your mom will as well. Your plans look great. I can't wait to hear what you think of the Billy Show. I hope you both have lots of fun and nice weather. :mickey:

DisneyDudet
04-20-2008, 03:15 PM
I wish I had a video of Billy Hill and the HIllbillies! It was so good!

Have fun.. if I don't talk to you, I'll text you while you're there!!

BronxTigger
04-23-2008, 11:06 AM
Hi everybody!

I'm at the Candy Cane Inn right now! I figured out how to connect to the internet but I don't have a report written up yet. I took 248 photos yesterday and at some point I'll post them. I did take notes so I'll be able to write a good report later.

The "short" version of yesterday:
-The plane ride was good but long.
-I got in EARLY by about 20 minutes.
-Super Shuttle was quick; I was at the hotel by 11:45.
-We were in the park well before 1:00.
-We rode Buzz, Space (2x), Star Tours, Matterhon (Fantasyland side), and Tiki Room.
-We hopped to California Adventure and had dinner (Pacific Wharf) and then watched the Pixar Play Parade (good).
-After dinner we went to the Animation Academy twice (Dopey & Tigger). I want to go back and draw Mickey at some point, also Piglet if I can.
-We went back to the Candy Cane at 7:30 and I was asleep by 8:30. I was hoping to wake up early today to write my report but I slept until 6am!
-We are heading out now to the parks!

NotaGeek
04-23-2008, 12:01 PM
Sounds like a good first day! Have fun at the Park today! :balloon:

tinkwest
04-23-2008, 06:29 PM
...I took 248 photos yesterday and at some point I'll post them. ...

:eek: 248! :jaw:

DisneyDudet
04-25-2008, 12:29 PM
Well, seeing as I didn't know you posted this until you told me, I'm glad you're having a great time!

Way to go on Space twice!!!! Thats good work right there!

Cant' wait fo ryour full reports!

Melanie
04-26-2008, 01:48 AM
You guys had a nice first day! :thumbsup:

disneydeb
04-27-2008, 03:58 PM
Thanks for the first day report. I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures.