PDA

View Full Version : Airline Worries

E-Ticket4
04-12-2008, 09:41 AM
So I am a bit stressed about the current airline situation with cancelled flights, bankrupcy, price. I am not sure if we should buy now for our Sept trip (We are bouncing back 9/27 - 10/02 with free dining and no children), or if there is any good reason to wait and book in a couple months.
I have flown Air Tran before - but are they considered one of the smaller airlines and at risk of going under?
Do the bigger airlines (American, United) have some sort of "protection" that would keep them from not ceasing services?
What's everyone's best guess about pricing? But now or wait? Thanks for your thoughts.

I'm off to dye my hair cause this is making it more gray!

azdisneymom
04-12-2008, 09:52 AM
I'm off to dye my hair cause this is making it more gray!

:laughing: Personally I would go with the larger airlines. Hopefully by the time you go this airline trouble will have calmed down and you won't need to visit your hair salon again.

bicker
04-12-2008, 10:07 AM
My recommendation is to check which airlines travel insurance underwriter Access America is offering coverage for. They're experts, and they're putting their money where their mouth is, so you can bet that their covered suppliers are the ones most likely to still be operating.

Here's a link to their list:

http://www.accessamerica.com/Documents/Library/uploadedfiles/CoveredSuppliers/Covered%20Supplier%20List%2004%2011%2008.pdf

The list is subject to change, of course, but right now it has only the following domestic airlines: Airtran, Alaska, American, Continental, Jetblue, Midwest Express, Sun Country, Southwest, US Airways.

bouncer
04-12-2008, 11:44 AM
My feeling is that the CEOs of the larger airlines should have reduced their bonuses and paychecks so that their businesses could run more smoothly. Maybe then they could afford to pay the mechanics and inspectors to effectively do their jobs rather than push off needed inspections until someone decided to rat out the FAA's circle of cronies. IMO it is a GREAT thing that they are taking the time to do these inspections all at once, then you won't have to guess when you are walking down the jetway whether or not this particular plane has overdue inspections.

I would not be afraid to book or fly on Airtran as their fleet of planes are newer (last 7 yrs)Boeing 717s. Also Airtran in the last 6 months tried to purchase the airline based in Milwaukee - Midwest Airlines aka Midwest Express. Midwest purchased the same type of planes that Airtan did making a takeover that much easier. However, Midwest held out for better buy out options from another source. It does seem as if some of the smaller airlines used their $$ a little more wisely though they also make sure that the CEO is paid first and well. As far as the bigger airlines having some sort of protection: I certainly hope not! If my small business chose to spend like they did, my business wouldn't get a government bail out and I hope they don't either.:mad:

My advice: book now with Airtran and book with traveler's insurance. Good luck.

Brainiak5
04-12-2008, 11:53 AM
I wouldnt book any trips without travel insurance right now. Its a few extra dollars but if you factor in the stress of cancelled trip along with the financial setback, its money well spent.

I agree with the previous post regarding Airtran. They are a substantial carrier and have newer jets. I flew them last month and my buddy spoke with one of their mechanics who was sitting next to him. He said that they've been very busy and he was surprised he was able to get the time off for the trip. I don't know if thats insider information, but at least one of their ground troops felt good about his situation. :mickey:

cal5755
04-12-2008, 05:05 PM
We booked our flights for our September trip already and we are flying on airtran. We also have trip insurance and booked our flights through Disney. Good luck and have a magical trip!!

WonderlandsMostWanted
04-12-2008, 08:21 PM
My recommendation is to check which airlines travel insurance underwriter Access America is offering coverage for. They're experts, and they're putting their money where their mouth is, so you can bet that their covered suppliers are the ones most likely to still be operating.

Here's a link to their list:

http://www.accessamerica.com/Documents/Library/uploadedfiles/CoveredSuppliers/Covered%20Supplier%20List%2004%2011%2008.pdf

The list is subject to change, of course, but right now it has only the following domestic airlines: Airtran, Alaska, American, Continental, Jetblue, Midwest Express, Sun Country, Southwest, US Airways.

Thank you for posting that! We booked parts of our trip separately, and I'm so happy I can now have EVERYTHING covered with one company! You made my day!

thumperbug
04-12-2008, 08:27 PM
Book your lfight now. With the increasing cost of fuel on a daily basis the cost is only going to increase.

bicker
04-13-2008, 10:52 AM
Generally, executive salaries are a drop-in-the-bucket as compared to operating expenses, so reducing executive bonuses and paychecks is only a symbolic move, and sometimes it sends the wrong signal, i.e., "we're in trouble" instead of "we're all in this together", and that could hurt the airline far far far more than it would help.

AllyMonkey
04-13-2008, 12:09 PM
Or instead of spending the extra money on the travel insurance (which in most cases will only protect you if you are unable to fly due to an unexpected fatality- ie sickness doesn't count), buy it with your credit card. Visa protects all purchases made on the cards if the airine is unable to provide the services for which you paid. With 3 airlines out of business in the last two weeks, that's all we've been doing at the credit card I work for- giving money back to customers who can no longer use their tickets because there is no airline to honor them.

Side note for other travelers- if the airline changes your flight schedule and the new choice is not acceptable with your travel plans, you are not required to accept the different schedule. You can also contact your credit card company in this sitation- as long as you've told the airline first that you won't accept the revised itinerary. :thumbsup:

bicker
04-13-2008, 03:01 PM
Different credit cards have different policies in that regard, and many credit card companies will even provide you more assistance then even their own policies have provided for, but folks shouldn't expect that. The law only requires them to help you within 60 days of the closing date of the statement on which the purchase of the airline tickets appeared.

Forewarned is forearmed.

E-Ticket4
04-13-2008, 08:37 PM
Thanks for all the replies! I think I am going to go ahead and buy. Airtran out of Milwaukee for out return flight, and American out of Chicago heading down, I know - lots of problems this week with American. We have a good sized gift card for American. Good idea about the credit card security - I have the Disney Visa. I hope that it has this.

MB

AllyMonkey
04-14-2008, 05:40 PM
The law only requires them to help you within 60 days of the closing date of the statement on which the purchase of the airline tickets appeared.

Actually, the regulations differ depending on the type of dispute. While most banks request you to contact them within 60 days of the statement on which the purchase appeared, the credit cards actually have 120 days from the date of the charge to complete their research of your dispute- that is a federal requirement. Most banks request that you write to them within the 60 day window to guarantee that they will have enough time to help in the event that they need to get more documents from the customer. HOWEVER, with that being said in the event of a problem like a cancelled airline ticket because the airline has gone out of business the bank's timeframe in which a charge can be disputed is based upon the date on which you were supposed to receive the services... in this case the flight. If it was an airline that is still in operation the credit card would have to wait until the scheduled travel date has passed but because there is no chance that Skybus, ATA, or Aloha Air will be able to provide ANY flights to ANY passengers, the credit cards can issue a credit now. :thumbsup: And yes, that includes the Disney Visa (that's all we've been doing for the last two weeks).

bicker
04-15-2008, 02:08 AM
The credit cards can always do more for the customer than the law requires. The point is that the law concerning support for consumer due to airline bankruptcies expired without being renewed. What consumers get from credit card companies now (beyond the 60 days) they get subject to the credit card's discretion. Folks who are lucky enough to get that assistance should view it as generosity, and appreciate it as much. Either way, folks should be prepared for either getting a refund or not, though the credit card company.