PDA

View Full Version : What are some of the Old Wives Tales you know?

Gooftroop5
04-11-2008, 04:15 PM
After my palms being itchy (dry skin I know from washing my hands a lot) got me looking into which was which. Left money in or out? Well there are a bunch of different opinions out there. Basically it is whatever you were raised with.

I was raised with a bunch of them....

1.) When ever I use to get a sudden chill that goes right away I was told "a rabbit just ran across your grave."

2.) "if your nose itches you are going to kiss a fool."

3.) Whoever falls asleep first on your wedding night is the first to die. :paranoid:

I know more but want to see what others have to say.

MMouse6937
04-11-2008, 04:37 PM
My Mom actually thought that cats steal the breath from babies. When DH and I were thinking of having a baby (changed our minds) but she said we would have to get rid of Belfour because he would steal the babies breath. I asked her if she was crazy!!:rolleyes:

I always heard that an itching nose meant you were going to be rich! I WISH!! :D

disneydeb
04-11-2008, 04:44 PM
1. if your palms itch, money will soon cross your palsm.
2. When you are pregnant, don't raise your hands above your head, because it will loop the cord around the babie's neck.
3. If you tickle a baby it wil be a stutterer.

I may think of more if I do, I will add to my list.

KineGirl
04-11-2008, 05:11 PM
If you have alot of heartburn when youre pregnant your baby will be born with alot of hair (true for me) :sick:

Ian
04-11-2008, 06:52 PM
There are a few of these "old wives tales" that are actually true.

For example:

Red sky at morning, sailor take warning. Red sky at night, sailor's delight.

My Grandmother always used to say this and it happens to be correct.

Weather systems typically move from west to east, and red clouds result when the sun shines on their undersides at either sunrise or sunset. At these two times of day, the sun's light is passing at a very low angle through a great thickness of atmosphere, the result of which is the scattering out of most of the shorter wavelengths — the greens, blues, and violets — of the visible spectrum, and so sunlight is heavy at the red end of the spectrum. If the morning skies are red, it is because clear skies to the east permit the sun to light the undersides of moisture-bearing clouds coming in from the west. Conversely, in order to see red clouds in the evening, sunlight must have a clear path from the west in order to illuminate moisture-bearing clouds moving off to the east.

magicofdisney
04-11-2008, 08:14 PM
*When my grandmother was a little girl, it was believed kerosene would help an upset tummy. Her mom would mix a tablespoon with sugar. It totally really messed up one of her kidneys.

*Wasn't there something about crossing your eyes and they'd freeze that way?

chicklittlemom
04-11-2008, 10:21 PM
*Wasn't there something about crossing your eyes and they'd freeze that way?

I think that one was: If you get hit when your eyes are crossed, they will stay that way.

My DGma was Irish and she had a million "old wives" tales. Here are a couple I remember:

*Don't have pictures of birds or live birds in the house. If so, there will be a death in the family. :sad:
*Don't have any unlit candle wicks in the house. This causes bad luck.:flame:

Of course, there's the simple ones about spilling salt and having to throw some over your shoulder. I'll have to think about some more.

princessjojo
04-12-2008, 09:16 AM
My grandmother used to always tell me to "go out the same door you came in"

"if your nose itched, someone was coming to see you"

"if your ears were burning someone was talking about you"

"if your left palm itched, you would shake hands with a stranger; your right, you would get money"

"At night, you look to the north at the crescent moon. If it was u shaped, it was holding the rain; if tilted it would rain pouring rain; if upside down, there would be storms."

crazypoohbear
04-12-2008, 10:20 AM
Itchy nose means your are going to kiss a fool or get into a fight.

If a bird flys into your window someone you know will die.

Black cat crosses your path it's bad luck

Don't walk under ladders it will bring you bad luck

break a mirror - 7 years bad luck

PirateLover
04-12-2008, 11:37 AM
Don't pick up coins if the tails side is facing up.

Wear a new outfit on Easter for goodluck

If an eyelash falls out you can blow on it and make a wish.

Pulling out a gray or white hair will cause ten more to grow in its place.

If you start knitting something for someone else, you have to finish it or they will get bad luck.

Hold your breath while going past a cemetery or you will breathe in the spirit of someone who has recently died.

If 13 people sit down at a table to eat, one of them will die before the year is over.

MsMin
04-12-2008, 11:59 AM
I was told that if your palm was itchy you would be getting money but it you rub it on your..... it comes fast..
A hair cut on Good Friday will keep away headaches.
Never buy a broom in August-- it will give you bad luck.
It's bad luck to cut your nails on Sunday.
If you laugh on Friday you will cry on Sunday.
Set an extra plate at the table and you will get an unexpected guest.
If you give someone a wallet you must put a penny in it or it will always be empty.
If you give someone a knife or knives as a gift you must give a penny to stop the knife from cutting the relationship.
Offer a spoon or fork to a pregnant woman and if she picks a spoon it's a girl and the fork is a boy.

Disneymom4ever
04-12-2008, 01:39 PM
My mom has always said "Never put your shoes on a table or counter, you will have very bad luck!" Also "Don't cross your eyes, they can become stuck", as well as "your eyes will go bad sitting too close to the TV", and "Never walk under a ladder, very bad luck as well". She has lots of others that I can't think of right now. I'm just reliving my childhood!

She's a very supersticious person. Wow, no wonder I'm paranoid! :eek:

daparish
04-13-2008, 07:10 PM
I was told that if your palm was itchy you would be getting money but it you rub it on your..... it comes fast..
A hair cut on Good Friday will keep away headaches.
Never buy a broom in August-- it will give you bad luck.
It's bad luck to cut your nails on Sunday.
If you laugh on Friday you will cry on Sunday.
Set an extra plate at the table and you will get an unexpected guest.
If you give someone a wallet you must put a penny in it or it will always be empty.
If you give someone a knife or knives as a gift you must give a penny to stop the knife from cutting the relationship.
Offer a spoon or fork to a pregnant woman and if she picks a spoon it's a girl and the fork is a boy.

One more to add to our New Orleans list:

My grandmother would have a fit if we opened an umbrella in the house. It would certainly bring you bad luck.

Disneymom4ever
04-13-2008, 08:10 PM
Oh, I forgot about the umbrella! That was a big one in my house also!