PDA

View Full Version : Art of Disney

elmjimmlm
04-10-2008, 05:25 PM
We have walked by so many times in Epcot and never went in...My question is are the pricing on lithos reasonable to purchase or when we are there again, keep walking and dont bother to go in?

Altair
04-10-2008, 06:29 PM
Just an example: When silver was $5.00 an once The Art of Disney store was selling proof 1 oz silver Disney coins for $50 to $75. Today silver is $19.00 and ounce and you can still buy the same coins in the secondary market for $25 to $30.

MsMin
04-10-2008, 07:20 PM
They had some really great lithographs in the art store on Main Street and since we were going to finish at DDT I figured I would take more time to look at them there and they had NONE.... they were $15 with a nice mat so I think they were very reasonable.
Also there was a special deal at several of the park stores where you could buy a set of 4 park lithographs for 10 w/ a $40 purchase. They are very nice.

Piglet822
04-11-2008, 01:11 PM
Even if you don't buy anything I think it's worth a visit to Art of Disney - they have some pretty amazing things in there. My favorite is the cross stitch kits. I've actually finished one :) Now I have to start working on the other three :blush:

5fromabove
04-11-2008, 01:46 PM
One really neat thing that they do at the Art of Disney in DTD, is sketch whatever characters you want. DH loved the movie "The Incredibles" . At one point on our trip, while helping to tackle WDW with 5 kids, he joked that if I see a "Mr. Incredible" tee shirt, I owe him one. Well, I never did find one...and I looked in numerous gift shops. Then while at DTD, I stopped into the Art of Disney store and found one of their artists. I paid her $35 to draw Mr. Incredible on animation paper, and she added whatever writing I wanted to it. It's cheesy, I know... ;) but I had her write, "To Steve, my Mr. Incredible."She presented it to me shrinkwrapped and matted. We left WDW on our anniversary and I gave it to him at lunchtime that day. The kids all thought it was cool too. Kind of a neat way to get something personalized. The artist was VERY good and she was friendly. Here she is drawing at her desk and the art is put above on a "smartboard" type thing so I could watch what she was doing.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v647/5fromabove/WDW%202007/WDW%2007%20part%202/PICT1093.jpg

and

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v647/5fromabove/WDW%202007/WDW%2007%20part%202/PICT1092.jpg

:)

Polynesian Dweller
04-11-2008, 06:10 PM
I guess the best thing to say is go in and see what you think of the prices. Its worth a trip inside just to see the artwork on the walls, some of it is terrific and worth seeing just as a gallery.

How reasonable a price is depends on what its worth to you to have it. I've bought some Disney Classic figures from there and been quite content. Lithos are of less interest to me so I wouldn't be willing to pay as much. People who value the lithos will pay more.

julyjewel
04-11-2008, 11:12 PM
That was neat to have a sketch of Mr. Incredible. My husband would like that. I'm in search of a nice gift for our 10 year anniversarry in Dec.

5fromabove
04-12-2008, 06:44 PM
That was neat to have a sketch of Mr. Incredible. My husband would like that. I'm in search of a nice gift for our 10 year anniversarry in Dec.

Thanks, I thought it was pretty cool and unique :) Hope you have a wonderful Anniversary, are you going anywhere special? :)

divinedi
04-19-2008, 08:14 PM
As another has said, it's worth it just to go into the store and look around :thumbsup:, everything is really interesting to look at!

Piglet822, I have two of the cross stitch kits, the Castle with Tinkerbell flying over and the fireworks, and the one of Minnie and MIckey sitting on a bench with their back to you. I must admit that although I love doing it, I don't have much time, so my Mom made the Tink one, it's REALLY nice! It's going to my DSIL(her and her girls love anything with fairy's in it) who we're meeting up with in Disney, OMG, April 29, can't believe it's so soon now.

Which one did you make? They are so nice!

PAYROLL PRINCESS
04-20-2008, 09:01 PM
As others have said, even if you don't buy anything it's well worth the trip to go in and look at all the fantastic art that is in there. They have poster art for about $15.00.

krorx
04-22-2008, 10:21 AM
We had never been in there until our last trip. My daughter wanted something to do with Alice and Wonderland to hang in her room. We got a wonderful sketch of the chesire cat matted and framed. It's a treasure she will always have to remember her trip to Disney. :mickey:

elmjimmlm
04-22-2008, 10:42 AM
Thanks...Now we know this is definate must do...:)

JPelle76
04-22-2008, 11:29 PM
I love going into the art of disney. Even if you have no intention of buying anything it's definatly worth looking at, it's just like going to an art exhibit, where the subject is all Disney! :mickey: What could be better then that!!!

And by the way that is really a great story about mr. incredible!!!!!

Davyjones
04-23-2008, 09:43 AM
After my wife and I bought our house, we were in WDW and decided to get 2 prints for the new home. So, we went to the Art of Disney store and got a Lion King - Simba and Nala print for the bedroom and a Stitch reading the "ugly duckling" book print for our office. They were both very nice and reasonably priced for the size of the prints. I hand carried them on the plane back because I didn't want them to disappear. We had them framed back here in Indy.
:mickey:

elmjimmlm
04-23-2008, 09:47 AM
I guess I have also had a fear of going in and something getting broken...There has been countless times that one of my kids have broken something in a store...:blush: