PDA

View Full Version : Attire at California Grill

FamilyofDisneyFreaks
04-10-2008, 03:43 PM
We will be going to WDW for 5 days in May for my DS's 5th birthday and my mom's (DGM) 60th birthday. For her 60th birthday, she wanted to go to California Grill. The day we have a 5:40 ADR, we are also attending the Pirates & Princess Party which starts at 7. We are staying at Caribbean Beach.

My question is: DS wants to wear his pirate costume for the party. Is this inappropriate for California Grill? Or do we need to bring a change of clothes for him before we enter the park?

Adults attire: DGM and myself were just planning on wearing sundresses and then donning crowns for the party. DH and DGF are planning on nice shorts with button up shirt and neither is into adding any pirate 'arrrrrgggghhhhh' to their wardrobe for the party.

Thanks for the help!!

mook3y
04-10-2008, 04:40 PM
We will be going to WDW for 5 days in May for my DS's 5th birthday and my mom's (DGM) 60th birthday. For her 60th birthday, she wanted to go to California Grill. The day we have a 5:40 ADR, we are also attending the Pirates & Princess Party which starts at 7. We are staying at Caribbean Beach.

My question is: DS wants to wear his pirate costume for the party. Is this inappropriate for California Grill? Or do we need to bring a change of clothes for him before we enter the park?

Adults attire: DGM and myself were just planning on wearing sundresses and then donning crowns for the party. DH and DGF are planning on nice shorts with button up shirt and neither is into adding any pirate 'arrrrrgggghhhhh' to their wardrobe for the party.

Thanks for the help!!

I would imagine there would be no issue with your DS being a pirate.

The dress code does say no shorts though.

Kairi_7378
04-10-2008, 05:00 PM
I haven't seen men wearing shorts at the CA Grill before. I would also consider having DS not wear his costume out to dinner (in case he spills something on it.)

EpcotNut
04-10-2008, 05:09 PM
Remember - It is Disney and I would assure you that they would fully understand. I will say, however, that you should plan for 2 hours minimum for your dinner experience. So plan on being at MK closer to 8 pm. Also, be sure to got to the check-in desk on the 4th floor (I believe) prior to heading up to the restaurant - especially if you are running close on time. Enjoy!!:thumbsup:

Mackflava99
04-10-2008, 05:19 PM
I think the costume is fine, but shorts might be an issue

Duchess99
04-10-2008, 09:03 PM
I personally don't think the pirate costume is appropriate for California Grill. It is WDW, but this is a Signature Restaurant. CA doesn't allow shorts, so I don't think they would like costumes either.

SBETigg
04-10-2008, 09:05 PM
Shorts are not an issue. The costume should be no problem. The dress code is not extensive and allows for shorts as long as they aren't ripped. Even t-shirts are now allowed. Not recommended, but the dress code has been amended to allow for most theme park attire that isn't torn or bathing suit skimpy. Most people do dress a little nicer. I've seen plenty of men and women in nicer shorts at California Grill.

Dress Code (http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/dining/dresscodes/default.asp)

CA Grill is excellent, but I think you're shorting yourself out of valuable party time. You can get in as early as four with your P & P admission and it's well worth every minute in the park. Any chance of rescheduling to make the most of both experiences? A California Grill dinner can take some time, and the food is excellent, will you leave stuffed and not ready for running around the park. Also, it's one of the best places to watch the P & P fireworks outside the park.

Natazu
04-10-2008, 10:03 PM
No worries. Kids are at California Grill in costume for various events all the time.

As for adult attire, we've been there about 40 times in everything from shorts to professional attire and never felt uncomfortable. Actually, I was a little uncomfortable in a pair Zellis I hadn't broken in but outside of that, it was all good.

FamilyofDisneyFreaks
04-11-2008, 03:59 PM
Remember - It is Disney and I would assure you that they would fully understand. I will say, however, that you should plan for 2 hours minimum for your dinner experience. So plan on being at MK closer to 8 pm. Also, be sure to got to the check-in desk on the 4th floor (I believe) prior to heading up to the restaurant - especially if you are running close on time. Enjoy!!:thumbsup:

Thanks for mentioning this, EpcotNut. I decided to try and see if we could switch days for our ADR and we could!! So, no issues with the costume.

As far as the shorts for the men, I read lots of posts on here regarding attire for CG and everyone was saying nice shorts were in the dress code as ok so I was surprised to hear so many say they weren't. But, knowing my DH and DGF, they will probably wear pants if they think some people might think they're out of line, regardless of what the dress code says.
:blush:
Thanks!