PDA

View Full Version : Trip Insurance?

Tinkerkel
04-10-2008, 11:34 AM
Just booked a trip for Sept. 20-25:mickey3: & I'm so excited! Anyway, when I booked the cast member quoted me an amount for trip insurance. What is your opinion, do we really need insurance for our trip?

faline
04-10-2008, 12:17 PM
If I book a package, I will usually also get trip insurance. Generally, I have not done trip insurance if I'm booking room only. However, with the ever-increasing cost of airfare, I may need to reconsider that!

WriteDisney
04-10-2008, 12:26 PM
We've always done it in the past, it's better to be safe than sorry. With most insurance, it covers most of the problems that might arise during your vacation. We all hope for the best when it comes to vacation time, but its nice to know we're covered just in case. I say go for it :thumbsup:

If you don't use it, you don't use it. But if you need it, it's there! :mickey:

IloveDisney71
04-10-2008, 01:07 PM
I always get the trip insurance just in case. I've got older family members with health issues so I never know if our trips will be interrupted.

pandkx3
04-10-2008, 01:42 PM
We always purchase trip insurance. With three boys, you never know if someone is going to sick.:sick: Since we always go in June and live in S. Mississippi, we never know what the weather is going to be like. :mickey:

DDuck66
04-10-2008, 01:56 PM
I guess I will be in the minority because we have never used the insurance. The important thing is to see what exactly it covers for. There are also (or so I have heard) other companies that you can purchase the insurance from, so it is never a bad idea to get another quote. Since you are going in Sept, that is prime Hurricane Season...does the insurance cover you if a hurricane is coming in????

KAJUNKING
04-10-2008, 02:06 PM
I guess I will be in the minority because we have never used the insurance. The important thing is to see what exactly it covers for. There are also (or so I have heard) other companies that you can purchase the insurance from, so it is never a bad idea to get another quote. Since you are going in Sept, that is prime Hurricane Season...does the insurance cover you if a hurricane is coming in????

we never get trip insurance, with disney even if you cancel the day before your trip they only charge you $200, if there is a huricane projected to hit south florida or wherever your from disney will move your trip free of charge, ive been to disney 3 times in the past 2 years with no trip insurance, even if it cost $200 this time i would still come out ahead.

MicMouse
04-10-2008, 02:18 PM
I also questioned purchasing the insurance when I booked my trip for June.

But, I would say go for it, especially if you are flying in. The last few weeks have been kind of crazy for the airline industry, and you never know...your airline could go belly up or your flight could be canceled for maintenance!

LauraF
04-10-2008, 03:21 PM
I've never found it necessary to book trip insurance, but I've considered it in the past. Looking at it, the amount I would pay in change fees if I had to delay my trip by a day or two is still less than the cost of the insurance itself. Makes it an easy decision. :)

Taja
04-11-2008, 02:16 PM
Definitely read the contract to see exactly what is covered if you have to cancel. You might expect things to be covered that aren't.

If you google "travel insurance" a number of companies will be returned. TravelGuard has a good reputation, although I haven't used it recently. As with Faline, I may have to reconsider that considering the higher cost of airfare. :)

thrillme
04-11-2008, 03:05 PM
I personally don't get it. If you have to cancel there's a certian timeframe in which you can cancel and get your money back. After that it's a bit of a charge. If it's truly an "emergency" for cancelling Disney is often quite good about working with you to an extent.

If you book on your own with Southwest. Southwest will give you "credit" on your flight and you can use that credit to book a new flight at a later date. Other airlines charge about $100 a ticket to "rebook" at a later date. IF there's a problem with the airline or HURRICANE...both the Airline and Disney will work with you to "reschedule".

Be careful when getting travel insurance. It doesn't always cover EVERYTHING and quite often both airlines AND Disney are willing to work with you in some "emergency" cases anyway (like I'm sure if you come down with "TB" many airlines would be willing to let you reschedule rather than insist you get on the plane or lose your money).