PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Questions about Teppan Edo

Disdad13
04-09-2008, 04:28 PM
I need some advice! We will be in DW this fall (with Free Dining:party:) and want to try a few new places. New to us this year will be Spoodles and Coral Reef. However, I would like to try Teppan Edo as well. The question is, what is it like for people who do not particularly like Japanese food? I do, but my DW - not so much. Plus, we will have our generally picky DS6. I see that they have steaks and stuff, which DW does like, but we have never been to any kind of hibachi restaurant before. Will DW and DS be able to find enough stuff to eat to make it worth it? I think it would be a fun meal just for the theatrics of the chef, but don't want to have a good time and enjoy my meal at the expense of DW and DS. Any input from anybody who is not a big fan of that kind of food who has been there before? Any input would be welcome!

tundramom
04-09-2008, 07:47 PM
We are not big Japanese fans, but we all enjoyed our meal last year. My DD said it was the best meal she had last trip! She really liked the edamame (sp?) with the Tori (chicken). Nothing is heavily seasoned, all the sauces are on the side so you can experiment with the flavors. Between the 5 of us the only negative comment I heard was my S-I-L who said she would not recommend the Green Tea Pudding. We definitely will eat there again:number1: Keep in mind it is a long meal (2hrs easy).:thumbsup:

Disdad13
04-10-2008, 11:23 AM
Keep in mind it is a long meal (2hrs easy).

Really? Why so long? Is that typical, or is that the exception? I would be worried that our DS6 would be bored if we were in there for 2+ hours...

biodtl
04-10-2008, 12:29 PM
My kids were 2 and 9 last time and they loved it. They don't like anything too exotic, but the nice thing about cooking it at the table is that everything is to order. My kids had plain chicken and rice (and I ate their seaweed salad - yum!)

JerseyDad
04-10-2008, 12:55 PM
Really? Why so long? Is that typical, or is that the exception? I would be worried that our DS6 would be bored if we were in there for 2+ hours...

....by the time you're all seated....order drinks...appetizers....main course...then dessert...it's easily a 2 hr experience. But...I really don't think there was ever a dull moment when we've had dinner there (Teppanyaki...and now Teppan Edo)...and we've done it 4 times in the past 4 years! Regardless of the size of your dinner party....you'll be seated as a groupy of 8 (what the hibachi tables can accomodate)...and there's always conversation with other dinner guests...so the time seems to go pretty quick. Also...you'll get to see all the other chefs cooking at adjacent tables...so there is ALWAYS something happening.

Last year we were there with friends, and had 8adults at one table...and all of our kids had (9 of them) at another table (they accomodated us and squeezed one in!!...kids are pretty pliable!! ;)). The kids (ages 7 thru 12) loved having their own personal chef!!

The food is great...and I do not throw "greats" around lightly when referring to food!! We've eaten at many different hibachi restaurants, and overall, Teppan Edo has one of the best menus...and the food is generally more healthy in my opinion (no fried rice...smaller portion of noodles....larger portions of veggies and meat/chicken/fish). And...as with all hibachi restaurants...the food is already cut up for you...so...just eat...enjoy...and watch the whole experience around you.

....pretty sure you'll have a great time.

....I'm already looking forward to dinner there this coming November!! :D :D :D