PDA

View Full Version : I Feel Vindicated

TheRustyScupper
04-09-2008, 12:08 PM
One of the divisions I run is a plastics company. I have been involved in plastics for better than 20-years.

1) I have warned people about using plastic bottles for water.
2) We actually published a paper about it.
3) People have pooh-poohed me for years!
4) Now, a government study almost vindicates me.
5) It shows that plastic bottles with 1-3-6-or-7 on the bottom can be harmful.
6) They release an agent mimicking some hormones in the body.
7) Those hormones in pregnant women can cause birth defects in some.
8) Including autism.
9) And some of these are baby bottles!
10) The release level of agents are different, and affect people differently.
11) This is why I haven't used plastic water bottles in years.

NOTE:
A "1" bottle is safe for one use only, unless it gets heated, then can be unsafe.
A "3", "6", or "7" bottle can be dangerous during the first use.
Look inside the triangle on the bottle bottom.
For a clip of this, go to the website for "NBC Today Show", 4/9/08.

mickeys_princess_mom
04-09-2008, 08:43 PM
Wow! Thanks for posting this--sure will be checking....

BronxTigger
04-09-2008, 09:27 PM
One of the divisions I run is a plastics company. I have been involved in plastics for better than 20-years.

1) I have warned people about using plastic bottles for water.
2) We actually published a paper about it.
3) People have pooh-poohed me for years!
4) Now, a government study almost vindicates me.
5) It shows that plastic bottles with 1-3-6-or-7 on the bottom can be harmful.
6) They release an agent mimicking some hormones in the body.
7) Those hormones in pregnant women can cause birth defects in some.
8) Including autism.
9) And some of these are baby bottles!
10) The release level of agents are different, and affect people differently.
11) This is why I haven't used plastic water bottles in years.

NOTE:
A "1" bottle is safe for one use only, unless it gets heated, then can be unsafe.
A "3", "6", or "7" bottle can be dangerous during the first use.
Look inside the triangle on the bottle bottom.
For a clip of this, go to the website for "NBC Today Show", 4/9/08.

So, then, what should we use to carry water in? Are the bottles like Nalgene and the "bootlegs" of those bottles also dangerous? They use a different kind of plastic than a standard one-time-use water bottle.

GrumpyFan
04-09-2008, 11:53 PM
Wow, thanks for the info! Kinda scary, but good to know.

wdwgrl377
04-10-2008, 10:10 AM
Thanks for making me aware of this. I will check from now on. But I've got to add too like one poster asked, "What do we use to carry water in?"

merlinmagic4
04-10-2008, 10:49 AM
Thanks for making me aware of this. I will check from now on. But I've got to add too like one poster asked, "What do we use to carry water in?"

I believe stainless steel water bottles are recommended. You can get aluminum ones but I think they have their own issues. You can get stainless steel water bottles on amazon but I don't know where else. It seems like glass must be the safest material to drink from but that's not really practical, I guess.

Ian
04-10-2008, 11:04 AM
Yeah, I'm a little confused by this, as well. Does this mean milk, ice tea, orange juice, bottled water, lemonade, and anything else that comes in plastic is dangerous?

I hate to say it, but that seems a little unlikely. I'm always skeptical of these sudden revelations and kind of assume, until proven otherwise, that they're motivated by some other agenda.

For example, certain segments of society want to do away with plastic due to the petroleum and waste product issues.

Plastic has been around for 50+ years ... why all of a sudden is it so dangerous? :secret:

GrumpyFan
04-10-2008, 11:24 AM
I'm confused now. Several reports I've read would seem to indicate the contrary is true. Who do we believe?

Maybe we should just play it safe and use glass or something else.

Disney Doll
04-10-2008, 11:49 AM
So, then, what should we use to carry water in? Are the bottles like Nalgene and the "bootlegs" of those bottles also dangerous? They use a different kind of plastic than a standard one-time-use water bottle.

I just checked the water bottle I use regularly and it's marked with a 5 on the bottom so I guess it is safe. It's a sports bottle and is meant to be washed and reused. Milk cartons are usually marked with a 1 so you're safe unless you decide to save the plastic carton and reuse it. I doubt many people do that.

Jeff G
04-10-2008, 11:56 AM
I read a very interesting artilce in the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel a few months back about bisphenol A which is a key component in many plastics and also aluminum. Bisphenol A is a synthetic hormone that is known to cause cancers, diabetes and reproductive side effects in lab studies. In the article they found that 93% of the Americans tested had this synthetic hormone in their urine. The article also talks about the different studies, results of the studies and who is behind the studies.

The article is a great read but is very long so I won't post it here. To read simply search JS Online & bisphenol A and it will be the top story on google.

poeticeclipse
04-10-2008, 12:55 PM
I saw the clip on The Today Show yesterday morning. I went around the house to check some of the water bottles that DH and I use. DH has used the same oversized durable plastic water bottle for over 3 years. It's looking quite dingy but other than that we always thought it was just fine... until I saw the number 7. He's really bummed out and is contemplating getting a new one and putting "water bottle" in retirement. My family even calls the darn thing "water bottle."

Luckily, the bottle that I often use is a number 5 as is my Pop Century refillable mug. I've reused my plastic water bottles (Dasani or Nestle) in the past but now I know better.

FlaTinkRAMESAM
04-10-2008, 02:48 PM
So the 1 on regular water bottles means that we shouldn't reuse it? Because I will drink the water, then refill it a couple of times (before I lose it)...

ugh.

LauraleeH
04-10-2008, 07:49 PM
I drink Zephyrhills which is a 1. Great. I don't refill them but I do take them to the beach with me and leave them in the car and stuff. Florida is so hot, and the water always gets warm...

PirateLover
04-10-2008, 11:59 PM
So does this mean you shouldn't use and refill plastic SOLO type cups either? They are a 6 (at least the America's Choice brand is), and a staple at parties of all kinds, and in houses of people who don't like to do many dishes....

magicofdisney
04-11-2008, 12:25 AM
I've been researching this for a little while now. From what I understand, stainless steel is the safest to drink from. You can find stainless steel canteens all over the place and online.

Plastic has been around for 50+ years ... why all of a sudden is it so dangerous? :secret:
It's not suddenly dangerous, it's just that people are finally starting to believe the reports being presented.

Scar
04-11-2008, 06:25 AM
On a related note, did anyone else watch "The Graduate" last night on AMC? ;)