PDA

View Full Version : Kona

the real Alice
04-09-2008, 10:49 AM
We are thinking of trying out the Kona Cafe on our trip from May 29 - June 2nd. We are having trouble deciding between breakfast & dinner. Both menus look fantastic. Any opinions on which one is better?

Also during this time period would it be possible for us to go without reservations?

Thanks!

PetefromRI
04-09-2008, 11:32 AM
We've eaten here for BFST and Dinner and they are both very good but I think Breakfast wins out because of the Tonga Toast and the Big Kahuna.The pressed pot of Kona coffee is also the best.We've never made reservations for Breakfast and always got in within 5 or 10 minutes.I think that for dinner you would have to make ADRs.It's one of our favorites!

SBETigg
04-09-2008, 11:50 AM
Many people recommend Kona. I can't, because we've had awful food and service problems there. But if you do decide you would like to try it, I recommend getting an ADR. It's almost impossible to walk up to most popular WDW restaurants and get in without advance dining reservations, and Kona does rank as one of the more popular restaurants (proving that most people enjoy the food and service much better than we have;)).

I do recommend Grand Floridian Cafe.

Welovejiminy!
04-09-2008, 11:56 AM
We have eaten at Kona for dinner and would highly recommend it. My family loved the food. I had no problem withthe service(suppose it depends on the day). I don't think you can go wrong eating there. I made reservations, but people were getting in within 15 minutes or so without. I'm an ice cream lover so I recommend the Kona cone for dessert. Have fun!!!!!

John
04-09-2008, 12:50 PM
My absolute favorite restaurant on property - ate there twice last week. Highly recommended.

pox24
04-09-2008, 12:58 PM
We rate it only fair for dinner, however breakfast... Tonga Toast... that's a different story.:thumbsup:

Jared
04-09-2008, 01:52 PM
My absolute favorite restaurant on property - ate there twice last week. Highly recommended.
It might be my favorite, too. I recommend dinner, but I'm not a breakfast fan anywhere. I don't eat breakfast meats, and I prefer a bowl of cereal or some toast in the morning rather than anything heavier.

Dinner, though, is wonderful.

:tasty:

Bethanymouse
04-09-2008, 08:41 PM
We love the Kona Cafe. Last year we ate there on different days for both breakfast and dinner. Both were wonderful! We loved the Kona breakfast, the tonga toast was wonderful and so was the Kona coffee. We also enjoyed the dinner, it was different food than we had eaten throughout the rest of our trip. We plan to eat both breakfast and dinner there again this August!

Disnamic Duo
04-10-2008, 10:24 AM
Tough choice. We've eaten both breakfast and dinner at Kona, and we really liked them both a lot. If I had to choose, I guess I'd give the nod to dinner. Breakfast was really good. I liked the Tonga Toast (although I like the french toast at POR better). Our dinner there was really exceptional though. My wife had a filet which she loved, and I had the Pan Asian noodles (very good).

You should probably try both...

elmjimmlm
04-10-2008, 05:14 PM
We havent eaten there yet but are going to eat dinner...I think that the items on the menu look great...As much as Kona is raved about here, I dont think that you can really go wrong with either...

Natazu
04-10-2008, 10:11 PM
While breakfast is really good, I'd definitely look at doing dinner. It's quite exceptional.

I wouldn't chance walking-up for dinner. You can probably get in for an early breakfast without an ADR but I wouldn't chance it any other time.

AHOTE
04-11-2008, 12:29 AM
:number1: Kona is a great choice. The food was excellent and so was the service. It's one of our ADR this year too. :number1:

epceddie
04-17-2008, 01:40 AM
My wife and I had a wonderful dinner at Kona on our honeymoon back in October. The food was wonderful, we had a great waiter and we had a nice conversation with some people from Nebraska at the next table. They bought us dessert and we sent them drinks before we left.
We've also had lunch at Kona and loved it. Especially the creme brulee with the bananas.

LandFan
04-17-2008, 10:04 AM
We aren't big breakfast fans either - but we LOVE Kona for dinner!! They have fabulous teriyaki steak, great pina coladas (the real stuff) and many other great items.

javamama
04-22-2008, 02:55 PM
I just ate there last Thursday night for dinner yummy, go for dinner IMO. The shrimp and scallops rocked, dh loved his steak, and creme bruelle(sp) we all meaning our party of 10 had a great meal! I wasn't a big fan of the Tonga toast at capt cook's sorry:secret:

katzctkpt
04-22-2008, 03:09 PM
This is on our to dine list for Dec. We haven't decided on bkfst or dinner but, it's leaning more towards dinner. I definately would get an ADR. What ever you decide it'll be good.

Bethis26fan
04-23-2008, 04:02 PM
I want to try this too, I think I'm going to have to make the effort for it this trip.

Mommy2boys
04-28-2008, 07:59 PM
Im thinking we may go there for breakfast and for dinner

Soul_Power
04-28-2008, 09:19 PM
I highly recommend Kona for dinner! We ate there last summer and considered it one of the best restaurants that we stayed at during our 8 day trip! Everything was excellent - food, service and atmosphere!

DisneyWizard
04-29-2008, 11:19 AM
Either way works. I like to eat there for Breakfast and when we return to the Poly for dining we eat at Ohana. But dinner at Kona is good too.

Funcruiser56
05-01-2008, 04:02 PM
We really enjoy Kona alot. It took us a long time to venture out of the parks or away from our resort to try other resorts resturants. Kona is one of our favs.
We like it for dinner, have had very good food and service. We order the Kona Press pot every meal- best coffee on property!
A big plus for dinner also is after you eat head out to the beach relax and watch the fireworks from the MK and the water parade- we have this planned for our first evening in December!

If Tonga toast is what you want to try then go to Captain Cooks at the Poly and save yourself alot of $$.

Bev

Friend of Figment
05-01-2008, 05:41 PM
I've never had a bad meal here any time of day. You can get Tonga Toast more cheaply at Captain Cook's as someone pointed out.

As far as ADR - as a solo diner I've had good luck getting in right when they open for dinner. I'm not sure how it would be for a larger party.

Stitchahula
05-03-2008, 10:10 AM
We went there last year and for some reason they had to split our party to 2 different tables. The teens were at 1 tables the rest of us at another. The teens were almost done with their entree before we got our appitizers. The food was great and the service for 1/2 of our party was good. I think it's worth going to because of the food and taking a chance that you get a good server.

LudwigVonDrake
05-04-2008, 12:15 PM
I've only eaten lunch at Kona and it was delicious :tasty:

mickeysmouse
05-04-2008, 02:27 PM
I say breakfast, we always hit this one for bfast and never regret it.

also because of the lovely tipping policy with ddp breakfast is much more reasonable-

:smile:

TheMartellFamily
05-04-2008, 08:36 PM
We changed our dinner plans from one place to Kona Cafe for our up comming trip in Aug. We felt that this place had great reviews that we wanted to try it. We are excited about this place as for when I was there for breakfast and liked it we knew that we could not go wrong. I hope we made a good decision when we go. We are excited to try dinner.

HndrdPrcnt
05-04-2008, 11:26 PM
Well, we are currently booked to eat here for both breakfast and dinner (different days). I was hoping that this thread would help me to decide upon one or the other, but instead it actually confirmed that we need to do both. If, however, we can only do one (we are doing a grand gathering so I sometimes have to compromise) then I will try to persuade everyone that we should do dinner. However, I am very interested in trying this Tonga Toast that everyone talks about!!!:mickey: