View Full Version : Disney Announces Animated Film Slate

dw2649
04-08-2008, 07:55 PM
Sorry if this is in the wrong forum.

From marketwatch.com:

Disney to release 10 new animated films through 2012
By David B. Wilkerson, MarketWatch
Last update: 6:46 p.m. EDT April 8, 2008
CHICAGO (MarketWatch) -- Walt Disney Co. said Tuesday that it will roll out a slate of 10 new animated films through 2012, including another sequel to "Toy Story" and "Rapunzel," a version of the fairy tale.

The films will include six features from Pixar Animation Studios, four from Walt Disney Animation and the first four in a series of direct-to-DVD films from Disney Toon Studios.
This year's releases include "WALL*E," a Pixar film from the writer-director of "Finding Nemo" on June 27th; Disney's "Bolt" on Nov. 26; and the DVD and Blu-ray release of "Tinker Bell," the first of a series about the world of fairies, due Oct. 28.

In summer 2009, Pixar's first 3-D feature, "Up," will hit theaters. Christmas Day will see the release of Disney's original animated saga "The Princess and the Frog." Another direct-to-DVD release, known under the working title "Tinker Bell North of Never Land," also will be released next year.

Woody and Buzz Lightyear return in Disney's 3-D summer 2010 release of Pixar's "Toy Story 3," featuring the voices of Tom Hanks and Tim Allen. Christmas will see Disney's version of "Rapunzel." "Tinker Bell: A Midsummer Storm" will go straight to digital video.

Newly converted 3-D versions of "Toy Story" and "Toy Story 2" are set to debut in 2009 and 2010.
In the summer of 2011, Pixar's "Newt" will debut, and Pixar's "The Bear and the Bow" will be the studio's Christmas holiday release. The year's direct-to-DVD issue will be "Tinker Bell: A Winter Story."

"Cars 2," the sequel to Pixar's 2006 hit, will be released in the summer of 2012. Scheduled for Christmas, from Disney's animation studios, is "King of the Elves," an adaptation of a Philip K. Dick short story.

David B. Wilkerson is a reporter for MarketWatch in Chicago.

Not much new except I had not heard that they were working on cars 2.

Crow
04-10-2008, 12:49 PM
thanks. always interested in what they are working on

CaptainJessicaSparrow
04-10-2008, 01:16 PM
Ugh, forgive me for being the pessimist here...but the only ones that perked my fancy were The Princess and the Frog, Rapunzel, Toy Story 3 and Cars 2.

I will say when I saw the preview to Wall-E recently, I thought to myself (out loud), "Man, that looks so stupid."

IloveDisney71
04-10-2008, 01:16 PM
Thanks for sharing this. I have not been keeping up with Disney's animation activities. It's good to hear that they are working on some fairy tales (Rapunzel & The Princess and the Frog). I love Disney's fairy tale movie adaptations.
I will be anxiously awaiting all of these releases - especially Toy Story 3! :mickey:

elmjimmlm
04-10-2008, 05:31 PM
I cant wait for the next Toy Story...These are movies that I can watch over and over...:number1:

wiltsan
04-10-2008, 08:09 PM
Great update, thanks. How disappointing though that it appears that only two of the pieces will be animated fairytales. Gone are the days of a princess/prince, a good story and a killer soundtrack (LM, B&B, Poca, Alladin, LK). I enjoyed those so much in my early 20's and now that I have a DD, I want her to be able to have movies with songs as good as the story.

Also, disappointing is the direct to DVD on the Tink movies. They started promoting TB on the website as early as spring 2007 saying that it would be released in fall/winter 2008 - long wait for a DD 3 yrs. who loves Tink. Worth the wait though to be able to go to the theater for the first time and watch a "classic" that will be cherished for a lifetime.

I love the Pixar films too but WallE looks like an ET rip off and so much for adhearing to Walt''s mission of NOT having sequels.

Sorry to be so negative, just would like to see some original pieces and as much traditional animation (with great composing !) along with Pixar.

pdrlkr
04-10-2008, 08:21 PM
:thumbsup:

tinksmom02
04-11-2008, 10:00 PM
Thanks for this! I'm excited for Toy Story 3, disappointed about many of the others. They just don't sound that...original. But, time will tell!

As far as Wall-E, my daughter is very much looking forward to it, and has been perfecting her imitation of him saying "Wall-E" (she does a pretty good job, actually). To me, he looks exactly like the Short Circuit robot, what was his name? Johnny-5, or something?

DisnIse
04-16-2008, 04:54 PM
Wasn't there talk of making the Disney musical version if Aida into a animated feature at one point? I always thought the show would be a little heavy and depressing to turn into animation, but I thought I had heard that at one point.

Just wondering. I'm excited about the rest of the releases!

mjstaceyuofm
04-17-2008, 01:16 PM
Thanks for this! I'm excited for Toy Story 3, disappointed about many of the others. They just don't sound that...original. But, time will tell!Agreed. I didn't know what to make of Lilo and Stitch when I heard of it, but found it to be a quality Disney movie once I saw it. I guess we can say the same for this batch of upcoming movies.