PDA

View Full Version : Artist's Point, California Grill, or neither?

WriteDisney
04-08-2008, 04:18 PM
I already have Artist's Point booked for our upcoming Sept vaca (me and DBF) but I'm having second thoughts. We have family who were just in WDW and ate at the California Grill (and went back to the viewing platform and watched wishes) and thought it was amazing.. so now I don't know if I should change our ADR to California Grill..

We really wanted to see the Wilderness Lodge.. never been.. but maybe we don't have to eat there to visit...

Also, were on the dining plan, so it would count as two meals... we ate at Yachtman's Steakhouse last time we were there.. and although it was very nice.. we weren't sure it was worth using two table service dining credits and vowed to not do it again...

We were looking for a special meal for our trip, since it's basically our biggest vacation of the year. So, intercot, what do you think? Should we stay with Artist's Point, change to California Grill, or do neither?

Thanks a bunch!

murphy1
04-08-2008, 05:49 PM
I LOVE AP!!!! It is one of the best kept secrets in dining at WDW. The food is fantastic. I haven't seen anyone have a bad meal there and service is great. I want to go back again. I had the signature salmon and I don't normally like it, but it was fantastic and dh had the buffalo steak. The atmosphere is great, too!

wendy*darling
04-08-2008, 06:09 PM
I would leave it for this trip. AP is wonderful- and visiting the Wilderness Lodge is terrific as well.

We also had the cedar plank salmon and the buffalo steak- loved every bite. :thumbsup:

Sure- California Grill is a wonderful restaurant- but you need to have someplace to look forward to on your next trip! Always have a plan for coming back... :D

Natazu
04-08-2008, 11:33 PM
First, I agree with you about Yachtsman. It barely meets the criteria for Signature Dining. But, if you've been to California Grill, you know it does. For seafood, Flying Fish is equally as good. Artist Point is another treat and also worth 2TS meals in my opinion. Also on that list would be Citrico's and Narcoossee's.

If you think using two TS credits on a meal will stretch your dining, by all means, save 'em. There are many, many wonderful 1TS restaurants, some you may not have even thought of. Here are a few examples: Kona Cafe, Grand Floridian Cafe, Olivia's, Wolfgang Puck, 'Ohana, Concourse Steakhouse, Marrakesh... it's easy to fill a week, even two.

WriteDisney
04-09-2008, 09:55 AM
Thank for your input! The poster that talked about salmon and buffalo steak completely sold us :thumbsup: That's definitely what we're looking for and I appreciate the help! And its true that we could always save California Grill for next time!

SBETigg
04-09-2008, 10:01 AM
I think it's a good plan, Artist Point this time and California Grill next time.

I disagree with Jym slightly on saving the DP credits. I think if you haven't tried at least one of the Signature dining experiences at WDW, you are missing out. The food and service at some of the one credit places can be really good, but none of it actually comes close to most of the Signature dining I've tried. It's worth using the two credits and maybe taking a night off from dining to do counter service. (just maybe not for Yachtsman, I haven't been there yet :) )

mudpuppysmom
04-09-2008, 10:58 AM
We usually try to eat at least one Signature meal each trip. Our last trip in January we ate at Cali Grill and all three of us REALLY enjoyed it!! Even though I could not eat mean (pregnancy and no meat this time:ack:) I enjoyed everything I had to eat!! DS thoroughly enjoyed looking out the window and all that was to be seen. DH always enjoys himself (as long as he can have wine with his meals -- he likes to try new things each time and never gets the same thing twice). After our meal we did go out on the platform, even thou it was too early for the fireworks and man was it COLD!! So we decided to go, but we did take some pictures before we left.

Last year we ate at AP and while DH liked it, I didn't. I know I had the buffalo sirloin and I usually like buffalo, but I wouldn't say that was what "turned me off".....I think it was the service that turned me off. Our server was very quick with us and he never offered to help with suggestions when asked. Our server at Cali Grill basically catered to us when we asked for suggestions. Maybe it was that we had a child with us, but to me kids and WDW are like peas and carrots -- they go together so as long as they are well behaved in these types of places, I think they should be welcome. Anyway, at AP maybe the kid was the breaking point for our server (plus we had waited almost 40 minutes past out ADR time which really did not agree with me either!). Maybe it was an off night too, who knows, but I will not go back soon -- I might go back in several years to give it another try, but not in the near future -- there are too many other places we would like to try!

For me, I'd choose Cali Grill over AP right now.

disney100%
04-10-2008, 09:38 AM
My DH and I ate at AP on our last trip (rather than our usual California Grill). We were skeptical about AP, since we loved CG so much. We absolutely loved it! The portobello soup is delicious. I had the salmon and my DH had the buffalo. We both enjoyed every bite of our meal. For dessert I had the cobbler, which was also delicious! My husband did the wine pairings (I was pregnant, so I could only watch him enjoy the wines ;) ). We especially loved going over to Wilderness Lodge, as we had never been there before.

sillyolbear
04-10-2008, 09:47 AM
But, if you've been to California Grill, you know it does. For seafood, Flying Fish is equally as good. Artist Point is another treat and also worth 2TS meals in my opinion. Also on that list would be Citrico's and Narcoossee's.

Amen!

c&d
04-10-2008, 10:29 AM
I love Artist Point so I would say stay put. You could cancel some of your other TS reservations to free up 2 pts and then eat at both.

When we go next week we're eating at both Narcooses and Artist Point so we'll just use counter service for some of our dinners. We've found with the dining plan there was a lot of food and not eating a TS every day worked well for us.

Crow
04-10-2008, 04:23 PM
my trip in Feb i ate at FF,AP &CG
previously I have eaten at YS & found that the steak was great but probly wont go back.
all of the 3 up top are great!
the view at AP I had this time was in a booth, not close to a window though which was the only bad thing. WL is my fav resort but I cant afford to stay there much. The portobello soup is something Ive had on each of my 4 times there over the yrs so thats a must have. Id probably go w the salmon. Ive had the salmon, buffalo & beef
FF had an amazing red snapper
CG grill has the best sushi & flatbread. I liked that better than the entrees i think.
on my next trip I hope to hit all 3 again.
Id say stay w AP this time & enjoy walking around WL before/after