PDA

View Full Version : We are booking our trip!!!

Kennywife
04-07-2008, 01:27 PM
I am booking through MJ a 4 day cruise!!!! We are getting cat 8 so I cna be up higher and avoid seasickness. (Been on the Wonder before on deck 2 and nearly barfed all teh 1st nite) :ack:

We are going to do a land and sea pkg. I am thinking of doing 5 or 6 days at WDW so as to not strain my legs too much. (I have a disability from an accident 5 years ago) We will go there first and then to the cruise.

Anna

7 day land and sea June 18-25. Honeymoon!

Next trip: in planning now

2010: Disney Magic cruise to Western Caribbean (hopefully for 10 year anniversary)

TammiMcMan
04-07-2008, 04:10 PM
Congratulations Anna. Your combo trip sounds terrific. I've always heard that being lower in the ship lessens the effects of sea sickness. If it came on that badly when you were on a low deck, then you should probably discuss remedies with your doctor. There are non-medical items, like sea bands and also non-drowsy options like Bonine. The most important thing to remember about Bonine, is that it should be taken prior to boarding the ship... don't wait until you start feeling quesy.

Donald_Quackers
04-07-2008, 07:17 PM
I've also heard that ginger can work for some people as well.

I'm going on the 4-night cruise December 7-11. I'm going to bring dramamine just in case, but I've never had any sort of seasickness (not that I can recall anyway). The only time I've ever had anything was reading in a car.

TammiMcMan
04-07-2008, 08:05 PM
I'm going to bring dramamine just in case, but I've never had any sort of seasickness (not that I can recall anyway).Just a word of warning with Dramamine, it does cause drowsiness. I've heard from a lot of people who have experienced sea sickness, taken Dramamine and basically slept away the entire first night of the cruise. Bonine has the same active ingredient, but does not cause drowsiness.

The only time I've ever had anything was reading in a car.My oldest daughter suffers from motion sickness on very long car trips, but didn't have any issue with sea sickness at all. Hopefully you'll be fine as well.

Donald_Quackers
04-07-2008, 09:43 PM
I already know that part of Dramamine...but I've never had to take that, and it takes a lot to knock me out anyway.

Case in point, the first time I've had anything that did that was when I was being given IV demerol while I was in the hospital for a pulled hamstring.

I really don't expect to have any problems, but I might bring ginger instead, now that you make me think about it...

JMTStone
04-08-2008, 10:45 AM
Congrats on your trip, Anna. I also use Bonine and my DD15 uses it as well. We were surprised that she was only sick once on our last cruise (she forgot to take the pill and I forgot to remind her).

Have a wonderful time!

JerseyDad
04-08-2008, 02:11 PM
I am booking through MJ a 4 day cruise!!!! We are getting cat 8 so I cna be up higher and avoid seasickness. (Been on the Wonder before on deck 2 and nearly barfed all teh 1st nite) :ack:

We are going to do a land and sea pkg. I am thinking of doing 5 or 6 days at WDW so as to not strain my legs too much. (I have a disability from an accident 5 years ago) We will go there first and then to the cruise.

Anna

....not so much the height of the cabin on the ship that matters...but the location relative to the mid-point of the boat. Imagine the ship as a big see-saw...if you are very close to either the front or back...the motion of the ship is magnified. Try to see if you can get a cabin that's close to mid-ship...and you should be fine. We were on the Wonder in November, and one night was kinda' rough (16 foot waves)...but we hardly noticed since we were just about the middle of the ship (Room 7042), right next to the mid-ship elevators. However, some of our friends that were on the cruise with us had a cabin ALL THE WAY BACK...on the same deck...and were pretty "messed up" the next morning :sick: !!