PDA

View Full Version : Pop standard or preferred?

pandkx3
04-06-2008, 04:53 PM
I'm torn....Do I book a preferred room or standard? I know this topic has been done to death, but I would like your input. We stayed last summer at pop in standard room. We were lucky in that we were in the 50's section and the walk wasn't that bad.:confused:

reeders4
04-06-2008, 09:30 PM
We stayed in the perferred section last year and we enjoyed being close to the pool and the reception area.

Young@Heart
04-07-2008, 12:03 AM
We like the preferred section. I know many people say it's noisy, but we were on the 3rd floor, on the opposite side of the pool (facing 50's) and had no problems. We were a very short walk from the food court and our free refills! :mickey::cloud9:

pandkx3
04-07-2008, 08:50 AM
We are leaning toward a preferred room. We were lucky last time but on our next trip (2009:thumbsup:) we don't want to be stuck in the back. It's not so much the walk as the refillable mugs. Thanks!:mickey:

TheMartellFamily
04-07-2008, 09:32 AM
Having stayed in the 50, 70, 80, 90 sections IMHO that the extra money spent is not worth it. We feel that even though it is a large resort area there is not much walk to anywhere. For us we have two boys that like to be by the pool and we take our time since our kids are younger so it does not matter where we are. We just do not feel that the extra money in preferred is worth it.

pandkx3
04-07-2008, 01:12 PM
That gives me something else to think about....You are right there never much of a walk. Our boys are 14,10 and 8. I usually give out before they do! We usual notice the distance more in the morning when on a "mission" to fill everyones mugs.:mickey:

JerseyDad
04-07-2008, 01:44 PM
.....we always request a Preferred Room location....and twice we were lucky enough to get 1st Floor / Poolside!!

I like being close to the main building....the buses....the food court....the pool....The Bar!! It's a big plus for me to be able to hit the food court 1st thing in the morning before most guests are up....get a cup of coffee....and sit by the pool and have a cigar.

pandkx3
04-07-2008, 03:17 PM
Thanks for your input. It's alot of fun planning a wdw trip. I ready to go right now! :mickey:

Tigerinvestigator
04-08-2008, 12:03 PM
Have never been able to tell the difference but have always avoided paying extra for the preferred. Have had friends who paid for preferred that had worse locations than our standards!:confused:

JerseyDad
04-08-2008, 01:12 PM
....Have had friends who paid for preferred that had worse locations than our standards!:confused:

....that's definitely more apt to happen now that they've added portions of the 50's and 70's buildings to the list of preferred rooms. That's why it's important to know where the preferred rooms are located, and then specifically ask for a certain location.

pandkx3
04-08-2008, 01:41 PM
Do you think that the 60's are the best? I've got three boys that would love to be by the pool.

JerseyDad
04-08-2008, 01:59 PM
Do you think that the 60's are the best? I've got three boys that would love to be by the pool.

....the Hippy Dippy pool is directly adjacent to the 60's building...and we (actually my wife....at my "direction" ;))...always asks for 60's building /1st floor/ poolside. Two years ago we got the corner room right next to the Play-Doh can...and I was in my glory :cloud9:

It's literally a hop, skip, and a splash away from the pool!! For that reason (pool proximity) we always ask for the 60's building.

....hope we get lucky again this November!!

Von-Drake
04-08-2008, 02:07 PM
We stayed in a standard room when we went in August 2007. We leave in 3 days to go again and are staying in a preferred room one night, then transferring to Shades of Green with my parents. We requested the preferred where the over-sized Mowgli and Baloo are at. Does anyone know what side of the 60's building they are at, toward the pool, away from the pool, etc... Thanks.

Brainiak5
04-08-2008, 02:39 PM
We've been lucky in that we have always had a great location even though we've never asked for a preferred room. I think it's really up to the individual. We have younger kids who enjoy the exploration and all of the stuff to look at so we don't have a need to be right on top of the action so to speak. If I had teens, I think we would want to be closer to the pool and food court, but thats just my opinion. We kind of take a slow it down approach at Disney anyway...if we miss one bus we know anothers coming. We try to leave the hectic pace at home when we can. I'm sure you'll have a great time!:mickey:

JerseyDad
04-08-2008, 03:24 PM
We stayed in a standard room when we went in August 2007. We leave in 3 days to go again and are staying in a preferred room one night, then transferring to Shades of Green with my parents. We requested the preferred where the over-sized Mowgli and Baloo are at. Does anyone know what side of the 60's building they are at, toward the pool, away from the pool, etc... Thanks.

...the Mowgli & Baloo icons are adjacent to the mid-point of the 60's building #5 on the left side of the pool (looking at the pool from the main hall / food court). It's directly across from the other 60's building icon...the Play-Doh can (building #4).

TheMartellFamily
04-09-2008, 10:39 AM
There is the bowling pin pool in the 50's and then there is the computer pool in the 80's 90's section.

Von-Drake
04-09-2008, 12:45 PM
...the Mowgli & Baloo icons are adjacent to the mid-point of the 60's building #5 on the left side of the pool (looking at the pool from the main hall / food court). It's directly across from the other 60's building icon...the Play-Doh can (building #4).

Thanks, I was not sure if they were on the same side of the pool or the side away from the pool. Thanks Again