PDA

View Full Version : Shark Reef in Typhoon Lagoon

heatherb
04-06-2008, 01:41 PM
Is this included with admission, and how young can the children be swim in Shark Reef with their parents. I am thinking specifically of my daughter that is 3 1/2. My husband and I snorkle in the caribbean, but I would feel more comfortable trying it for the first time with my daughter in a "mock" situation than in a real ocean. Any parents out there try it with a child this age? Also, should I bring a life jacket, or are they available there? Can they be used there? Just wondering. We are coming down on Friday.

thrillme
04-06-2008, 02:25 PM
3 1/2 is AWFULLY young to do the snorkle thing. The admission is included unless you want to do the OTHER side of the lagoon then you get something like 20 minutes with an air tank. That you'd have to pay for.

You might try out how they do with a snorkle set in a regular swimming pool. It's a little awkward getting the breathing pattern down thru a snorkle, the face mask can be quite "uncomfortable" on the face AND the water in the lagoon is quite chilly. It is also salt water. If the mask isn't quite right on the face it can burn.

Once you take off from the "shelf" there's really no place to "stop" if there's an issue except for a couple of "islands" BUT...you've got to "get" there...they're not very big either. There are lifeguards in the lagoon but if a little one has to be rescued because their having problems it may not be a good thing.

They have plenty of life jackets available at the park. They prefer you use them instead of one you bring from home. If the child is not a strong swimmer then they strongly recommend the life jacket because they are not supposed to "kick" (they can injur the fish). They have life jackets there that they pretty much INSIST the little ones use. You are supposed to "float" only and use your arms to propel along. If the child is kicking the lifeguard will stop them and float them out.

I really wouldn't recommend it for any child under 5 and only then if they are very comfortable with swimming and floating (deadman style float). But if ya'll are professional snorklers you may have already surpassed some of these issues with her. I've definately seen some young 'uns with some AMAZING capabilities.

Since there are 2 of you I'd say take turns. Get your gear and when one comes gets done then the other can stay in the submarine with her and watch the other parent from the portholes.

mudpuppysmom
04-06-2008, 02:43 PM
I'll chime in here that we took DS last year in May and he was 5 yrs old. He could not get the breathing down with the snorkel, so he did not go. I've never snorkled before, but thought I could do it and once I got in the water and about three feet from the "shelf" as the other poster called it I sorta freaked out and went back and got out (which they do NOT encourage-- once you are in you are in they tell you, but they saw I was never going to make it across).

There was a guy kicking his way across and they grabbed him up right away, so no kicking allowed either. Also, once you are across, you are not supposed to go back and float around either -- which someone was doing too -- he was going back to the start line I guess! They grabbed him up too.....so they are pretty vigilant about watching the swimmers.

I did see a bunch of kids doing it though, but I'm with the other poster.....I think 3 is awfully young unless they can really prove they can float and also do the snorkel well.

gerald72
04-06-2008, 06:02 PM
My 3 kids all bailed out.
1 couldn't get the snorkel/breathing figured out, 1 thought the water was too cold, and 1 had to pee.

deanna-montana
04-06-2008, 06:23 PM
Yes it is included with admission. I personally think 3 1/2 is wayyyy to young to do this. Even if you disagree, you may have a hard time getting the breathing thing down with her. And if you do the water was very cold.:shrug:

heatherb
04-06-2008, 06:40 PM
Thanks for your input. I love this website! It is always so hard to plan what to do on the trip when you can only base things on the pictures, and what others that have experienced it say. Thanks everyone!

Maleficent's Dad
04-06-2008, 08:46 PM
Is this included with admission, and how young can the children be swim in Shark Reef with their parents.
Not sure about how young/old children are required to be, but YES, it IS included with admission.

My husband and I snorkle in the caribbean, but I would feel more comfortable trying it for the first time with my daughter in a "mock" situation than in a real ocean.
DW and I made a commitment when our kids were born that they would be proficient swimmers.
Last summer, DS was 8 years old and we spent weeks (on a daily basis) "practicing" snorkeling with him in the pool - he was, IMO, VERY well prepared to snorkel in a "real" situation.
Do NOT discount Disney's attempt at a "real" situation. Shark Reef, for young people, is NO "Mock Situation," not even close. It is - to a young child - "as real as it gets."

DS was able to snorkel in the Caribbean this year - in a REAL life situation on a coral reef. However, he was unable to cross Shark Reef at TL. The water was too cold, the sharks were too real.

No comparison. Bring him to an island and put him in warm water with real fish, no problem. Put him in very cold water with lots of sharks (even if it's in Disney), he was unable to complete it.

Just my experience...
Hopefully if you go forward, it turns out well for you! :mickey:

Texas Tinkerbell Too
04-09-2008, 06:02 AM
We are also going for the first time to the waterparks in Sept. We are really excited about the shark reef. My DS are 5 and 9. I hope they do not "freak out." Do you think they are too young also? My 5 year old asked me if the sharks would bite. How should I answer his question?

Gotta Love Eeyore
04-11-2008, 08:50 AM
We went last year when my kids were 6 & 8. As the previous posts mention, the water is very chilly. Our kids are good swimmers, but I had never really thought about the whole snorkle breathing part. It actually took me a second to get it right in that cold water. DS (8) did fine. DD (6) got just off the shelf and had a slight panic moment. Luckily, I was holding her hand and was able to get her to relax and figure it out.

My advice is practice all you can with a snorkle and mask before you go, and stay close by once you get in the water.

It truly is a cool experience and my kids can't wait to try it again this fall!

Gotta Love Eeyore
04-11-2008, 08:51 AM
It was our experience that the sharks stayed pretty close to the bottom of the pool.

Texas Tinkerbell Too
04-11-2008, 10:57 AM
Thanks Eeyore for the info on your 6 and 8 yr old. My DS have played with our masks and snorkels in the bathtub, but we will practice much more this summer in the pool. I can't wait to see the shark reef :shark: even if it is freezing :freeze: cold water. I LOVE to snorkel.

thrillme
04-11-2008, 02:24 PM
We are also going for the first time to the waterparks in Sept. We are really excited about the shark reef. My DS are 5 and 9. I hope they do not "freak out." Do you think they are too young also? My 5 year old asked me if the sharks would bite. How should I answer his question?

The 9 year old is perfectly fine. My DS was 7 and he sailed across the pool with the snorkle. He took to it just fine but he found the mask uncomfortable.

I see no harm in telling your 5 year old the sharks in Disney's tank do NOT bite and they stay real close to the bottom too. In fact...the Lepord shark is VERY popular in "touch tanks". Down at our Corpus Aquarium we have a sting ray/shark tank in which visitors can lean over and touch the marine life (San Francisco has one on Pier 39 too). Granted some sharks do bite but not these...

I'd go ahead and give the 5 year old a try if he/she is pretty comfortable with water and swimming. DEFINATELY have him/her put on a life vest to keep from kicking. Let them both try out snorkles in pools/bathtubs frst. Five "might" still be a "little" young but they're close enough to be worthy of giving it a whirl with a life vest (depending on their swimming abilities). Just warn them that the water is cold. Once you're ALL the way in you're fine.