PDA

View Full Version : Any thoughts on visual accomodations?

Turk82
04-05-2008, 05:47 PM
I booked my cruise (for just me) back in December. Shortly after, a couple (friends of mine) decided to go on the same cruise. I was thrilled to have someone else I knew going.

In the end of January I had a major eye injury secondary to a soccer accident. I really, honestly thought that it might take me a couple days/weeks (MAX) to recover.

On Tuesday, I was told (for the first time since the injury) that my vision may NOT recover due to nerve/retinal damage. Nothing is certain yet, but I'm rapidly losing hope.

Financially (at this point anyway), I can still make the trip work (I budgeted every $ out and put all that I thought I wanted to take into a CD that matures just a few weeks prior to when the full payment is due).

What I am wondering, is, am I crazy to think I can go without really being able to see? I'm not actually blind, but my visual accuity is quite low and I have a significantly reduced visual field, going out anywhere is pretty scary if I am alone (curbs, stairs, doorways, etc). I am extremely grateful for accomodating computers or I would be going nuts (the words on my screen are like 2+ inches tall). Like I said, I was planning to go (more or less) by myself...is that nuts? I had been very excited about the shows...but are they auditory enough to enjoy even if there is little vision? Any thoughts at all?

RobWreck
04-06-2008, 12:05 AM
Absolutely the shows are audibly entertaining... moreso the Golden Mickeys than the others, IMO. As your vision is beyond your control, you'll have to rely on your other senses... the sound and smell of the sea breezes, the feel of the warm carribbean sun, the taste of the endless delicious food. If your sight was going to return in 6 months, then it may be worthwhile to reschedule, but if this is something you're going to have to learn to deal with for the rest of your life, then might as well start right now.
Rob

JMTStone
04-06-2008, 09:20 AM
I agree with Rob. Treat yourself to this trip. Sounds like you deserve it. Knowing Disney's quality of service, I'm sure any CM you talk to will guide you along if you run into any problems. You'll have friends there too! You don't have to see perfectly to enjoy dinner, music, the sun, etc.

I had Bells Palsy last year. I couldn't close my left eye and ended up wearing a patch. We ended up cancelling things I thought I would be too uncomfortable doing. Then I got depressed that we weren't doing anything. You have something to look forward to... don't lose that.

And what would we do without your posts, Meg?

Turk82
04-06-2008, 01:00 PM
Thank you all so much...I was really letting it get me down. I DO really want to go and I think I will. Even if I don't do what I had initially pictured, it will be a great trip...besides gives me something besides surgury, MRIs, dr visits, etc to look forward too. :mickey:

DisneyDudet
04-07-2008, 10:21 AM
I think that you would still have a great time! Since you can still navigate, you can still make it around, although it might take you a little bit longer. There are some places that can get crowded, but I am sure you could handle it. There are sounds EVERYWHERE! The music in the hallways were my favorite. It was amazing Disney music. I could just sit in the hall and listen to it all day! Plus you have the sounds of the ocean and everything!!!

Since you MIGHT have a hard time seeing, I suggest you send in a disability request. I know it can be a little upsetting to do, but this can help you with things like show seatings (closer reserved seating), as well as possibly booking you in a handicap accessable room, which is laid out more openly. This can help you with navigating the stateroom. Since you have issues with lower level maneuvering, this could benefit you very much.

All the hallways have handrails, which are helpful on those few rocky nights you might encounter!! And since the room doors ALL looks similar, even to those with PERFECT vision (not me) can get confused. I suggest making a bright and personal door magnet so that you can know its your door, plus make it festive for the trip! I'm sure this won't be a big issue, since you will have your friends, who can help point out your room, but I get lost down those halls!

I can't imagine ANYONE not having a good time. I think that even though your sight might not be the best, you will be able to enjoy the trip. I hope you have a great time planning your trip!!!