PDA

View Full Version : Port Orleans Riverside or Pop???

gamblefamily5
04-04-2008, 06:20 PM
We are planning a trip in Sept and can't decided between PORiverside or Pop. We have stayed at Pop before and it was fine, it is just now we have 3 kids that are going all over the age of 3. They will be 4, 10, and 13. Should we rent two rooms at POP or stay at POR? Just wanted some advice! Thanks!:mickey:

PetefromRI
04-04-2008, 06:33 PM
Going with 3 kids I might consider connecting rooms at the Pop.The three kids in 1 room,that way you guys will have some time as a couple alone but on the other hand,the POR is a beautiful resort with a great food court,quiet pools,great themed pool and hot tub and plenty of room for the kids to run.It might be alittle tight in the rooms so that's why I thought that the Pop might be better for you.Not much help,am I?

SurferStitch
04-04-2008, 07:08 PM
DH and I have stayed at both twice. We will not return to POR because of many reasons (too many to detail here), but would stay at Pop again in a heartbeat.

We had two dirty, dark, dingy, musty rooms at POR. Terrible mousekeeping both times. Dirty floors, marked up walls, cobwebs inside and out....:ack:. CM's at the front desk and the gift shop were lazy, rude and uninterested most of the time we interacted with them, and DH and I are friendly, easy-going people. We stayed in Parterre Place both times, too. The trips were only 3 months apart. The later December trip was booked before the first September trip (a last minute deal popped up with 7 days for the price of 4, so we stayed at POR for that before the next trip with friends. That way we would know the lay of the land before arriving with them). Our friends said their room was pretty bad, too.

POP gave us clean, bright rooms with a great mousekeeping staff. Great bus service, and the best resort food court we've ever eaten at. :thumbsup:

E-OR
04-04-2008, 08:29 PM
Our family is going to WDW in September too. We had reservations for POR but switched to POP. If staying at a moderate we usually stay at POFQ (and love it) but decided to try something different and booked POR. After reading all the positive posts on POP we decided to switch. We have stayed at all the values but POP and figured we would give it a try. The theming, food court w/icee machine, and location all looked like something we would like to try. My 24 year old son is going to WDW with 2 friends in two weeks and will be staying at POP as well. I am anxious to hear what he thinks. With 5 family members I might stay at POR and get one room to save money. The resort looks really nice, sit down restaurant, great pool, bike and boat rentals, and the boat to DD are great features to have. Half the fun is planning the trip!

slpngbty56
04-04-2008, 10:34 PM
We are a family of 5 and have stayed at POR numerous times. We love it and have never had any of thr problems mentioned above. We are going in Sept and we are staying at POR again. Only 153 days to go!:mickey:

gamblefamily5
04-04-2008, 11:30 PM
:mickey:

mrsgaribaldi
04-05-2008, 01:10 AM
If it's just me and my DH and we have the money, POR is great. No money, POP is great. That's where we are staying in May. If I had 3 kids, 2 rooms in Pop might be better. The kids could sleep in one room and the adults stay awake in the other and relax. Plus, another bathroom would be a big bonus. Both resorts are great though:thumbsup:

Young@Heart
04-05-2008, 02:00 AM
If it's just me and my DH and we have the money, POR is great. No money, POP is great. That's where we are staying in May. If I had 3 kids, 2 rooms in Pop might be better. The kids could sleep in one room and the adults stay awake in the other and relax. Plus, another bathroom would be a big bonus. Both resorts are great though:thumbsup:

This is exactly what we're doing for our August trip. Our DC will be 14, 12, and 5. Our 2006 trip was our first time at a value (POP), and we all loved it! Esp. DC. They didn't care for POR at all. Not even the pool. I like it, but I also like POP, so we let our DC decide. :mickey:

We paid quite a bit more for our 2 preferred rooms at POP than we would have for 1 room at POR, but I know the extra space will be great, and DC will love returning to their favorite resort!!!

PhilHarHarMagic
04-05-2008, 09:39 AM
POP with two rooms is my favorite affordable resort destination. We have 4, but we love having 2 TVs, 2 bathrooms, and 4 beds.

chick20679
04-05-2008, 10:00 AM
Personally, I would pick POR (be sure you specifically request an Aligator Bayou room with a trundle bed).
I guess it really depends on your family though. If you need extra bathroom space, then maybe Pop would be better.
Cost shouldn't be much of a factor, since it looks like it will be the same price either way.
Have fun deciding! :thumbsup:

GrmGrninGost
04-05-2008, 11:22 AM
POP is my favorite value resort, but it does not compare to POR! :mickey:

homeschool mom
04-05-2008, 11:28 AM
We have never stayed at POR so I can't make a fair judgment there, but I can say we have stayed at Pop many times and have NEVER been disappointed! We are a family of 7 and so we always get two rooms. It's so nice to have 2 bathrooms, showers, TVs, etc... Especially when you have 3 teen girls (4 on our last trip) and 2 little boys. We love the theming and the gift shop and cafeteria are nice as well. We have always enjoyed anything we have gotten to eat there.

#1donaldfan
04-05-2008, 06:32 PM
POR AB hands down.....it's cheaper to get one room at POR with the trundle bed anyway...

....we've NEVER had bad mousekeeping, dirty room, or for that matter ANYTHING negative at POR....

It's a very nice resort with so much to see and do, with dual access to DtD, great bus service, good food court, GREAT breakfast at Boatwrights, 5 quiet pools, one signature pool, carriage rides, bike rental, boat rentals, boat ride to DtD...the list goes on and on....plus you can take a short 10 minute walk over to the FQ and use their pool, food ..etc.....

...it's a no brainer IMHO, POP is a value which is nice, but fewer amenities, POR is a moderate with a deluxe feel....:mickey:

Mickey91
04-06-2008, 12:14 AM
POR - Mansions. I love the feel of the old South. The slide at the pool is awesome!! The entire resort is relaxing. I didn't even mind the walk from our room to the bus or the food court.

POP is my favorite value and made this a tough decision for me.

GINNY69
04-06-2008, 03:09 PM
I Think POR is really nice I stayed at the POP once and I thought it was ok, the grounds were nice and it was nicely themed, but I am not one of those overly pickey people but I thought the food court was not good in fact it was one of my least favorite of all the resorts I stayed at. The food was just ok nothing great and I thought the CM's there could have been a little more friendlier and I know its a value but its always crowded .. Spend the extra money and go moderate..

AliceinDisney
04-06-2008, 06:27 PM
Port Orleans riverside is beautiful, I definitely recommend that one.

gamblefamily5
08-28-2008, 12:25 AM
Just wanted to let you all know that we decided on POP b/c my parents decided to go and so one of our kids is going to stay with them in their room! Yippee Skippee!!!:joy: We leave in one week!!!

SurferStitch
08-28-2008, 06:26 AM
That's great! You won't be disappointed. Pop is much nicer than POR as far as cleanliness and service go. Your family will have a wonderful time there.

If you do breakfast at the food court, try the breakfast pizza. It's excellent! I got hooked on them the first time we stayed there. Also, I had the Ceasar salad for a late night snack once, and it was wonderful. They also had a very good shrimp lo mein that really impressed me.

Eeyore's My Favorite
08-28-2008, 02:19 PM
If POP & POR were your only choices I'd definitely go with POR. DH & I have had nothing but horrible experiences at POP both times we've stayed. However, if you wanted a different alternative for 5, what about the Family Suites at AllStar Music? You'd have 2 bedrooms, 2 baths, 2 TVs AND a Kitchenette area. DH & I looked in on that while we were at ASMU in January & they looked great. Have heard & read nothing but positive reports on the family suites. Buses were not an issue at ASMu. We had more issues with buses at POP than we did at ASMu or POR. Just an alternative! :mickey:

Simba'sBud
08-28-2008, 03:30 PM
Either choice would have been fine, so it looks like your decision was made for you. Although the POR is a little nicer and full of extra things to do, you will have a great time at POP. Remember, you're gonna be at WDW, and if your like my DW and I, you don't spend a considerable amount of time at your resort anyway.

Hope you guys enjoy your trip!! :mickey:

LizLovesDiz
08-29-2008, 01:09 PM
We were going to stay at POR in Oct. but decided to stay at our Pop again.We never had a problem there,the buses are always there when you need them,the rooms are always clean,it's location is great for us,and the food court is good too.For the money you can't beat it !!! :mickey: Have a great trip

Insanity Clause
08-29-2008, 05:13 PM
We will be staying at POR in April with 3 kid and 2 adult. The kids are 7,9,10 and we chose this one so we wouldn't have to get a suite and our 7 year old can use the trundle.

Wickster1970
08-30-2008, 12:01 AM
:ditto:

badkitty
09-01-2008, 05:01 AM
I really enjoy PopC. SInce I am rarely in the room, the value is great.

wilshade
09-01-2008, 07:32 AM
Pop Century has always been good to me and I am always comfortable there.

Mousemates
09-01-2008, 10:21 AM
given the fact that both are full beds and not queens, the PoP comes out ahead (on a purely economic basis) in our book.

Donald Duck Rules
09-01-2008, 02:10 PM
I have never stood @ POP Century but have stood at the othervalue resorts adn Riverside blows them away. Quieter, nicer, more amenties and not for a whole ton more