PDA

View Full Version : Southwest Question

poeticeclipse
04-04-2008, 09:55 AM
I've done some reading on here and people are talking about getting an "A" ticket or a "B" ticket. What does that mean?

We're flying Southwest for the first time and i'm unsure of how they do things.

Thanks!

faline
04-04-2008, 10:02 AM
Southwest does not have assigned seats on the plane. You choose your seat on the plane as you board and can choose any open seat(s) you want.

The order in which you board the plane depends upon when you check in. Southwest does not allow people to check in until 24 hours before their flight. At that time, you can check in on line. When you check in, you are assigned a boarding group - A, B or C. Those with A boarding passes board before those with B's and C's. Now, Southwest also divides each section of passes into numbers. Therefore, if you get A20 as your boarding pass number you would board before someone with A35 as their number.

Hope this helps!

poeticeclipse
04-04-2008, 10:33 AM
It does help! Thank you!

I understand it now... :)

Dream'nDisney
04-07-2008, 10:12 AM
Also, don't forget to go to the front desk of your Disney hotel 24 hours before you depart to head home. They will get online for you and get you on the "A" list for your return flight. :mickey:

onjbj
04-07-2008, 10:46 AM
When SWA opens up the next round of flights, what time do they generally do it? I know it is supposed to be on 4/17, but what time of day do I need to get online to get my flights? Thanks!!

mickeys_princess_mom
04-07-2008, 11:55 AM
I've done some reading on here and people are talking about getting an "A" ticket or a "B" ticket. What does that mean?

We're flying Southwest for the first time and i'm unsure of how they do things.

Thanks!
Be sure to check online every Tuesday for specials!I love flying Southwest!:wave: :plane:

Jasper
04-07-2008, 12:15 PM
As a side comment, unless you are traveling with a large group getting an A boarding pass is really not that big of a deal. I don't have any actual statistics to prove it, but this method of boarding has always seemed faster to me than boarding with pre-assigned seats. (large group meaning roughly 6 or more people)

The main reason people claim for wanting an A pass is that since there are more seats open when they board they get to sit near the front of the plane which means they get off the plane faster. While there is some validity to this issue I also think that for many people getting an A pass is also just a matter of American's competitive nature. Naturally you won't get too many admitting to this latter reason but just from "people watching" at the gates I do believe it is a factor.

BMan62
04-07-2008, 03:40 PM
When SWA opens up the next round of flights, what time do they generally do it? I know it is supposed to be on 4/17, but what time of day do I need to get online to get my flights? Thanks!!

Unless you are going to be flying on a holiday, I wouldn't worry too much about purchasing your flight immediately unless you know that that will be the cheapest price for your particular flight.

When you purchase has no bearing on your boarding pass letter. That depends solely on when you check in - the closer to the 24 hour window opening, the better.

I normally wait until about 5 weeks prior to my trip and get a Ding! fare. At that point, they are trying to get the seats filled and the prices tend to come down.

BMan62
04-07-2008, 03:44 PM
The main reason people claim for wanting an A pass is that since there are more seats open when they board they get to sit near the front of the plane which means they get off the plane faster.

Actually, we try to get "A" boarding passes to make sure we sit together. DW has a fear of flying and, on one trip we were unable to check in early and ended up not being able to sit together. She pretty much freaked out the whole flight. We swore, "Never again!"

Kidsmom
04-07-2008, 03:54 PM
I always go for A.

When traveling with the family, we are a family of six, so we need two rows.

While traveling alone....I like an asile (sp?) seat to stretch my legs...nothing worse than a middle seat.

poeticeclipse
04-07-2008, 04:07 PM
Another question since you all are doing such a great job on my other one.

Does Southwest provide a snack and if so, what kind? Do they have any entertainment on board? I know they don't have movies playing but do they have satellite radio like AirTran?

mickeys_princess_mom
04-07-2008, 10:52 PM
Another question since you all are doing such a great job on my other one.

Does Southwest provide a snack and if so, what kind? Do they have any entertainment on board? I know they don't have movies playing but do they have satellite radio like AirTran?
Peanuts (crackers now and then...) and soft drinks...You can purchase alcohol. No movies or radio, but every now and then they sing.;)

PirateLover
04-08-2008, 12:38 AM
Peanuts (crackers now and then...) and soft drinks...You can purchase alcohol. No movies or radio, but every now and then they sing.;)

We've had pretzels/party mix on our Southwest flights, though we did have peanuts once. That surprised me because I had thought that airlines weren't allowed to serve peanuts anymore because people can have severe allergic reactions even if it is just in the air.

mickeys_princess_mom
04-08-2008, 09:21 AM
We've had pretzels/party mix on our Southwest flights, though we did have peanuts once. That surprised me because I had thought that airlines weren't allowed to serve peanuts anymore because people can have severe allergic reactions even if it is just in the air.

Sure have been eating them for years....Had em in December.....:shrug: