PDA

View Full Version : A couple helpful tips for renting a car!

laprana
04-03-2008, 12:33 PM
Just thought I would share a couple tips for renting a car at WDW from Alamo that I've discovered while planning for our May/June trip! These are only for Alamo and for renting from the location at the Orlando airport. They might work with other Alamo locations, but I haven't tried anywhere else, so I'm not positive on that.

I've found that if you book through the Alamo website, it's best to do it on Wednesdays, especially during the morning and afternoon. They seem to lower the prices on Wednesdays! We first made our car reservation a couple of months ago, and it was going to cost about $460.00 for 12 days for a full-size car. You don't have to pay immediately when you make the reservation, so we decided to wait and keep checking back to see if the price went any lower. We're really glad we did! I've been checking every week, and every Wednesday the price for our rental dropped! We now have it down to about $340.00 (including all taxes and fees) and I'm hoping to get it even lower than that over the next 6 weeks or so before our trip.

If you already have a reservation, all you have to do is enter the reservation number at Alamo's website to cancel it. You can then re-book the reservation at the lower price!

I've also noticed that the rates seem to go up on Mondays and sometimes on weekends. Probably because that's when a lot of people are booking their cars. But, sure enough, if you check back on Wednesday, the rate has usually gone down!

It also helps to do a web search for Alamo discounts. There are quite a few of them out there, and if you can find an ID# code, you can still use the online check-in feature to bypass the counter. If you use a coupon code, you can't check-in online because you have to present your coupon at the counter. We found an ID# code that is saving us 10% plus gives us 1 additional driver for free! Since they charge $25 a day (I think) for an extra driver, that alone is saving us lots!

Just thought I would share this with the hope that it helps save someone a little $$ on their next trip! It might not be a huge amount, but every little bit helps when you're planning a WDW trip, especially nowadays! :thumbsup:

Beast_fanatic
04-03-2008, 05:42 PM
I'll have to check to see if the same things hold true for National as they are Alamo's sister company.

PhilHarHarMagic
04-03-2008, 11:35 PM
Thanks for sharing these great tips! :high5:

SandmanGStefani24
04-04-2008, 01:57 AM
it also helps to join the rental comany's frequent renter club, or whatever they call it. i always rent from avis, and am part of their avis preferred group (which is free to join) and i have rented enough times (i guess) that when shopping for rates my rate is usually 20-25% cheaper that standard rates for them. every little bit helps!

plus avis just rocks in general!
:drummer::rocker::tuba::pipes: