PDA

View Full Version : Sept or Oct

disneyluva
04-03-2008, 10:26 AM
If they offer free dining (I hope) - is it really that bad (hot) to go in Sept vs. the end of Oct. We would be looking of a savings of about $600. Last time my sister in law was there in Sept - they had a hurricane and missed 1 1/2 days in the parks.

We've been there in Feb, Jan, Nov,(all three wonderful) and June(too crowded and hot) - but never Sept.(I'm assuming hot but not crowded - I can't deal with heat and crowds ever again - but one or the other is managable).

Is the savings worth the weather risk? Please give opinions.

Off property - 4X as a child
Contemporary - 1998
GF - 2005
GF - 2006

Disneyatic
04-03-2008, 10:40 AM
We went in Sept of last year and it was miserable. We decided then that we would never go back in September.
We are from Texas so I thought we could handle the heat. But it was literally 100% humidity and upper 80's low 90's almost everyday and a nightmare!
The heat and humidity totally zap you and we found ourselves not being able to do as much because we were so tired and just miserable from the humidity.
It also rained ALOT, we were prepared for quick, daily storms but we got more like daily 3 hour storms. It wasn't crowded, but it was quite a bit of people and we waited in some lines for 45 minutes (like POTC and Splash Mountain).
The free dining was nice, but we found that our park time was seriously cut down because of the weather so it wasn't worth it for us.

crazeedizneefinatic
04-03-2008, 11:27 AM
I agree september is hot and humid. Depending upon how many days you are staying you can plan around it. We always go to the parks in the morning head back to the resort for a midday swim and freshen up. We usually head back to the parks around 4 or so. It takes a bit of planning and you can use the EMH in the evenings to maximize your time out of the heat of the day, that's usually the days we head back. We stay 10 days so we never feel rushed or we are missing something. I think if we stayed 5-6, like we used to, it might feel rushed.

I don't feel that time of year is crowded. The wait times are very manageable, especially if you utilize fast pass. We are partial though we love to go in the fall. We are going a little later in september this year and going into october. I don't know if the heat will be any better but that's okay, it's worth the lower crowds. I think the only times it's not hot and humid in Florida is in the winter months when it's not so humid. Although we were there in February a few years back and it was in the 80's.

As far a hurricanes, I would not worry. We have been going that time of year and only ran into 1 storm that closed the parks 1/2 a day. It was nice though, the parks stayed closed for outsiders and only resort guests were allowed that day, the parks were empty and we got a ton of things done.

If humidity is a problem for health reasons I would not recommend september but we think it's managable.

Jeri Lynn
04-03-2008, 11:52 AM
I have been many times in September, it is HOT and it is HUMID. When I was younger the heat and humidity did not seem to bother me, but as I got older I found it very draining. On one of our trips I have vivid memories of taking the international gateway out of Epcot back to the Beach Club and stopping at the store that is located there, and then telling the girls as we were leaving...just 300 more steps, just 200 more steps..and so on.

This year we are possibly going to try the 3rd week of October.

We have also gone in the beginning of November with beautiful weather and the beginning of December with beautiful weather, we only had one cold year.

WriteDisney
04-03-2008, 12:11 PM
We're going in September this year, never been before. We just couldn't beat the deals for that time of year. We've been in December, February, and March/April in the past.

Honestly, theres always going to be SOMETHING that could possibly ruin a trip for you. I see your from New York, I'm from the Northeast as well, last time I was in WDW a huge storm hit home the week before and while we were there. I was hearing about people being stranded down there (not that thats really that bad)... but I was worried the week before that we wouldn't make our flight cause of a storm. Another story... I have family who just went down end of March, around Easter. Beautiful weather, however tons of crowds. I went down in December, New Years, tons of crowds, but beautiful weather. Then again, both March or December it could be chilly and crowded, or hot and crowded, who knows?

I guess what I'm just trying to say, is that it seems like if you look for it, there always going to be reasons NOT to go during a certain time of year (trust me after trying to plan this trip for 2008 it was very difficult to choose).. so all you can do is prepare for the worst, but be optimistic. You're in WDW!! I've never been there and not felt the magic, regardless of the weather or how many people are around me....

I'm not sure if that actually answers your question.. but I felt like that might help the overall planning process :thumbsup:

Dyanna
04-03-2008, 12:47 PM
We went this past Oct & it was quite hot then too. Used a water mister everyday to keep us cool & to keep the baby from melting in her stroller. The crowds were heavier than expected during the week of Columbus Day as we did not know until we got there that many southern states have fall recess this very same week. The longest wait for a ride we had seen was for Soarin which was at 75 minutes. Would rather go back again at this time than go in the summer on any day.

disneyluva
04-03-2008, 02:35 PM
Thanks All!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Disney Doll
04-03-2008, 02:40 PM
I was in your exact situation recently and I decided to go ahead and book October. We are going the week after Columbus week- Oct 19-25. We really wanted to go to MNSSHP, but we are used to going in Feb. I went once in July and I will never go in the summer again. I can remember waiting for a parade and feeling sweat just dripping down my back. We love the cooler weather in Feb and I'm hoping that by the end of October we will miss some of the heat. We like to spend time in the parks and usually only do a few table service meals each trip so for us the weather was far more important than the possibility of free dining.

Lucyrella
04-04-2008, 11:14 PM
We went last year the end of August to the first of September, it was hot, but it was 105 degrees in Evansville IN that week and only in the 90's at Disney.... so that didn't bother us too much. We took advantage of the EMH and did really well. WE have 2 small children and they did great. I was also worried about hurricane weather, but with the insurance and with the Storm Chasers reports, we did fine. This year we are going the 3rd week of September to celebrate our youngest birthday this time around. Hope you have a great time!

JenniferS.
04-05-2008, 07:31 AM
We went in Sept of 2006 & 2007. We are going again this Sept. It is unbearably hot and humid. We were only really bothered by it while we had to wait for buses at our resort. That's why this year we are staying at the contemporary. We hope this will help because we only have to wait for the monarail and that is indoors!!! You just have to find ways to stay cool. Sometimes in MK we walk down all of main street INSIDE the shops to soak up some of the a/c. We let the kids play at Ariel's Grotto to get wet. Sometimes, mid day we'd go back to the hotel for a swim. It did rain ALOT, but mostly at night. It was actually a lil refreshing. We love Sept because there are hardly any lines. Most we walked right onto, and the longest line we waited in was 30 min. We did have to get FP for Soarin' though. I can't wait to get there!!!

disneygirlie11
04-05-2008, 10:06 AM
The worst part of going in September for us is all the Love Bugs. They were ridiculous. They covered our red car sooo much it looked black. It was so bad we will never go back that time of year

JerseyDad
04-06-2008, 11:27 AM
.....we've always (except once) gone to WDW at the VERY end of Oct / 1st week of Nov. And the weather has been great...and the crowds were a FRACTION of what we experienced during our one trip at Easter / Spring Break time.

I think that by the end part of October, the "official" hurricane / tropical storm season is winding down...and the heat and humidity tends to drop off pretty noticablly. In all our times we've been there in the fall...there was ONE...15 minute rain-storm. We spent that time in one of the shops on Main Street in MK...shopping. (that was one expensive bit of precipitation!!)

AVITWeb
04-06-2008, 12:13 PM
We went during this time in 2006 and it was not terrible. We did the whole go back and rest thing in the middle of the day (I prefer the parks at night anyway.)

The love bugs were pretty bad that year, but you know, it wasn't so bad that we couldn't handle it. Its now just a story to tell...The year before, for our honeymoon we went in early November, and while the weather was a bit nicer, there were a few more people "Jersey Week"...I think I would prefer October, but Sept is not out of the question.

BelleLovesTheBeast
04-06-2008, 06:12 PM
We went this past Oct & it was quite hot then too. Used a water mister everyday to keep us cool & to keep the baby from melting in her stroller. The crowds were heavier than expected during the week of Columbus Day as we did not know until we got there that many southern states have fall recess this very same week. The longest wait for a ride we had seen was for Soarin which was at 75 minutes. Would rather go back again at this time than go in the summer on any day.

What was the average wait time that week?

My DH and I usually go in Sept to celebrate our anniversary but this year have to postpone it for a wedding that may or may not happen. She's booked the wedding for Oct 25th so we are probably going to do Disney Oct 15 - Oct 22.

How hot would you say it was? She says its cool but from what I can find on the weather channel website...the average high temp for Oct is 87.

Mickey91
04-06-2008, 09:42 PM
We love Sept! It can be hot (90's), but it can also be cool (60's). We have not been that we thought it was unbearable. The crowds are not as bad though they are beginning to pick up. We have also been the last week of Oct. and it was far more crowded then than it has been in Sept. :mickey:

pink
04-07-2008, 04:45 AM
We have been going during either the first or second week of October for years now and it's always been very nice during that time. There are lines but not nearly as many as there were when we went in June. We usually only experience about 1 good rainstorm and then that's it. The humidity is down to a minimum and it's always a great time to visit! As for September, I've never been there during that month before but we are going this year. :mickey: