PDA

View Full Version : Pop

mickeynminnie08
04-03-2008, 10:11 AM
I do believe I have thought of a new question every single day.
We are staying at Pop in August and were thinking of going to the Boardwalk after checking in. My question is.......Is it or anything else for that matter in walking distance? :confused:
Also, what are the best things to request....lake view, xtra towels,etc.?

WVParkfan
04-03-2008, 10:59 AM
I'll take a shot at that, since we did that once before (from All-Star Sports, not Pop).

Unfortunately, you really cannot walk anywhere on Disney property. They don't want you to, and there aren't many sidewalks. You cannot walk from Pop to the Boardwalk.

So, what is your best option? Here's what we did, based on advice we got on this board:
- We took a bus from our hotel to DHS (Disney studios park, used to be called MGM). When we got off the bus, instead of walking into the park, we went to the boat dock and got on a Friendship Boat. The boats travel between the Studios and Epcot, but make stops at the Dolphin Resort, the Boardwalk, and the Yacht club.

Getting back was a little more difficult. You could, of course, take the same route. However, we stayed late at the Boardwalk and needed another plan. So, we went into the Boardwalk Resort and went out to their bus station. We took the first bus we saw (went to Downtown Disney), and then transferred there to a bus back to our resort.

You'll have a good time on the Boardwalk. Good food, etc. Just make sure you aren't in a hurry to get there and back. It does take a little while.

McGoofy
04-03-2008, 11:26 AM
I'll take a shot at that, since we did that once before (from All-Star Sports, not Pop).

Unfortunately, you really cannot walk anywhere on Disney property. They don't want you to, and there aren't many sidewalks. You cannot walk from Pop to the Boardwalk.

So, what is your best option? Here's what we did, based on advice we got on this board:
- We took a bus from our hotel to DHS (Disney studios park, used to be called MGM). When we got off the bus, instead of walking into the park, we went to the boat dock and got on a Friendship Boat. The boats travel between the Studios and Epcot, but make stops at the Dolphin Resort, the Boardwalk, and the Yacht club.

Getting back was a little more difficult. You could, of course, take the same route. However, we stayed late at the Boardwalk and needed another plan. So, we went into the Boardwalk Resort and went out to their bus station. We took the first bus we saw (went to Downtown Disney), and then transferred there to a bus back to our resort.

You'll have a good time on the Boardwalk. Good food, etc. Just make sure you aren't in a hurry to get there and back. It does take a little while.

I second that. I can't think of any better way to do that. DHS is a short bus ride from Pop. If you don't want to ride the Friendship Boat, there are also walking paths that you can walk from DHS to Epcot--which would get you to Boardwalk as well. Anytime you need to get back to your resort from another resort and it is too late to catch a bus from a park, you can always go to Downtown Disney (as long as it is still open) and catch a bus back to your resort. Otherwise, a taxi would probably be your only other option.

As for your lake view request, you could call before you go to request a location. They usually make room assignments a few days before your arrival. They will write down the location you prefer, but there is no guarantee. At Pop, you can ask for a "fireworks view" (they will know exactly what you are talking about). It is on the back side of the 50's building. We have seen MK fireworks and Epcot fireworks from that location. You can sort of hear them a little bit because the sound carries over the lake.

As for towels, you can call for that when you get there. They'll bring them right to your room.

Have fun!:mickey:

mickeynminnie08
04-03-2008, 02:06 PM
Thank you both. I was actually wondering if there would be a time we would be able to take in the friendship boat. I've heard that it is very hard to navigate Disney property by car...is this true?

mickeynminnie08
04-03-2008, 02:13 PM
What kind of view is lake side of the 60s or 70s area?
It's quite funny, we're so excited about our trip that my husband just keeps reminding me of the disney commercial. "I'm too excited to sleep". We are driving from Illinois straight through, so being too excited to sleep is gonna be a BAAAD thing. Thank you all for your great advice, I just LOVE INTERCOT!!!:thumbsup:

McGoofy
04-03-2008, 02:17 PM
Oh, I just noticed that you are new....:welcome:to Intercot!

Navigating Disney property by car I suppose could be overwhelming since the property is so huge. However, there are signs to everything that clearly mark what direction to go. Also, if you have some sort of GPS navigation device, we've noticed that most of Disney property shows up, so that also would make it easy to get around the property.

mickeynminnie08
04-03-2008, 02:43 PM
Thank you for the welcome. I love these discussion boards!! No GPS, but I do have a "Streetwise Orlando" map that has a section on Walt Disney Resort Area. It looks like we turn North onto Victory Way from the parking lot and then left on Buena Vista Drive and on the right is the Boardwalk....or turn right and a couple miles down the road on the left is Downtown Disney. Does the bus at PC go to Downtown? It sounds like that might be more interesting for my son anyway. Wow, look at me ramble.:unsure::idea::blah:

McGoofy
04-03-2008, 07:17 PM
Your directions sound correct. I can picture it in my head!:mickey:

Downtown Disney is really cool. Yes, you can catch a bus to DTD from PC. There's a little something there for everybody. It's also nice if you arrive to WDW too late to want to use one of your tickets in a park, but you don't want to hang out at your hotel. You can go to DTD, and there is plenty to do there. Here is the link to Intercot's description of Marketplace (http://intercot.com/themeparks/downtowndisney/marketplace/default.asp). That's where all the cool stores are. World of Disney is a great place to find souveniers. My almost 10 year old son loves the Lego Store and Goofy's Candy Co. From the Marketplace area, you can keep walking over to Pleasure Island and Westside. There's definitely more to see and do at Downtown Disney than at the Boardwalk, but if you have time, check out both.:thumbsup:

Young@Heart
04-03-2008, 09:54 PM
Navigating Disney property by car I suppose could be overwhelming since the property is so huge. However, there are signs to everything that clearly mark what direction to go.

ITA. Our 2006 trip was the first time we had a vehicle w/ us, and we loved it! There were signs everwhere and we never had to look at a map. The only time we had difficulty was leaving DTD one night-I thought I had figured out a "short cut" and ended up driving away from POP. :blush: But it was very easy to get back on the right road.
We never had issues w/ traffic or parking, and the ease of not worrying about bus schedules was a nice change.
Enjoy your trip! We're also going to be at POP in Aug. We're counting down every day! :cloud9: