PDA

View Full Version : Expedition Everest Loop?

bellerose
04-01-2008, 07:38 PM
My friend told me that there is a loop in Everest when you are speeding backwards. I told her there was no loop, that you are just going really fast up a steep incline. Who's right??:confused:

DisneyCrazy4444
04-01-2008, 07:43 PM
There is no loop on everest. Im very sure om this one.

Bobby T
04-01-2008, 08:14 PM
I concur.

tundramom
04-01-2008, 08:34 PM
No 360 for sure, but because you are going backwards while travelling on a curve that goes lateral and vertical it is quite deceiving to your vestibular system:dizzy::coaster:

GrmGrninGost
04-01-2008, 08:49 PM
No 360 for sure, but because you are going backwards while travelling on a curve that goes lateral and vertical it is quite deceiving to your vestibular system:dizzy::coaster:

Yeah, and it feels like a loop too! :mickey:

Love of Disney
04-01-2008, 09:16 PM
I haven't been on it before. Does it go forward and backwards? :cool:

GrmGrninGost
04-01-2008, 09:44 PM
It goes forward, then backward, then forward again. The part that feels like a loop is in the backward portion. :mickey::coaster:

Stu29573
04-01-2008, 10:44 PM
The "loop" is actually a helix. If you flipped it on it's side it would be a corkscrew. Of course, then the people would fall out....:mickey:

WDWdriver
04-01-2008, 11:25 PM
I am a CM at the attraction. There is no loop.

pdrlkr
04-01-2008, 11:56 PM
No loop! :blush:

MinnieMommie
04-02-2008, 12:07 AM
From what I know there is no loop on EE. If there is a loop on the backward track then I must be more disoriented on the ride than I imagine! :mickey:

AHOTE
04-02-2008, 01:01 AM
FYI If you have a shoulder harness then there is a loop, a lap belt or bar, No Loop. No exceptions it's an industry safety standard. Loop or No Loop it's still an awesome experience,:coaster: except in a downpour :rain:, LOL

moe513
04-02-2008, 07:29 AM
no loop

mouselover93
04-02-2008, 07:50 AM
definitly no loop

Diznee4Me
04-02-2008, 07:57 AM
No loop - but it feels like it.:sick::D

Tbelle1976
04-02-2008, 08:11 AM
Don't remember a loop, just rode it last week. But it's an awesome ride! :mickey:

irish1967
04-04-2008, 01:39 PM
Who's ight??:confused:

I think you are both right...

You are right about the "no loop"

Your friend is right about the "backwards!"

grwoolf
04-05-2008, 01:25 PM
FYI If you have a shoulder harness then there is a loop, a lap belt or bar, No Loop. No exceptions it's an industry safety standard.

This is true most of the time, but it can't be a safety standard. At Six Flags over Texas, there is a double looping coaster called the Skock Wave. No sholder harness, just lap bars that hold you tight at the knees. I think Mr. Freeze at Six Flags is the same way. I think I've been on a couple others with lap bars also. I much prefer the sholder harness, the knee bars really pin you in in an uncomfortable way.

big blue and hairy
04-05-2008, 02:41 PM
it's... an awesome experience,:coaster: except in a downpour :rain:, LOL
Not that I'd want to do it that way every time, but DW wife and I did Everest in a downpour with ponchos, it was kinda neat!

:sulley:

joanna71985
04-05-2008, 02:54 PM
FYI If you have a shoulder harness then there is a loop, a lap belt or bar, No Loop.

That's not always true. I have been on coasters that went upside down, that didn't have shoulder harnesses.

tinkerstinker
04-05-2008, 08:08 PM
Definitely no loop, just a backwards helix that goes fast and boy, can you feel the pull. It seems to last several seconds and this, IMO, is the most intense part of the ride. Though not at all scary, it CAN make you a bit queasy. I get motion sick pretty easily and this one gets me every time. Doesn't stop me from riding it though!

All in all, I hate big thrilling coasters and I just don't think this ride is scary at all. The visuals are amzing, both in the queue and on the ride!

Melanie
04-05-2008, 10:28 PM
That's not always true. I have been on coasters that went upside down, that didn't have shoulder harnesses.

Goodness! Where? Remind me to never go there! :nono:

AHOTE
04-06-2008, 12:20 AM
Not that I'd want to do it that way every time, but DW wife and I did Everest in a downpour with ponchos, it was kinda neat!

We were in the front seat, got stuck on the hill when the deluge hit:rain: by the time the ride restarted we were soaked to the skin. That wasn't the real problem, warm and wet in Florida I can deal with. Being in the front seat with nothing to hide behind, that added to the experience. It was the rain drops at 60 Mph that put a real hurtin on us.:coaster: We watch the sky now before we ride EE. :D:

AHOTE
04-06-2008, 12:33 AM
FYI If you have a shoulder harness then there is a loop, a lap belt or bar, No Loop. No exceptions it's an industry safety standard. Loop or No Loop it's still an awesome experience,:coaster: except in a downpour :rain:, LOL

:oops: I misread a report; I should have said safety harness versus lap belt or bar was a "proposed" industry standard. The proposal never went into effect. :sorry:

big blue and hairy
04-06-2008, 12:41 PM
We were in the front seat, got stuck on the hill when the deluge hit:rain: by the time the ride restarted we were soaked to the skin. That wasn't the real problem, warm and wet in Florida I can deal with. Being in the front seat with nothing to hide behind, that added to the experience. It was the rain drops at 60 Mph that put a real hurtin on us.:coaster: We watch the sky now before we ride EE. :D:
:scared:
We didn't get stuck...although I can tell you the rain hits pretty good whether you're in front or not.

Just sitting and waiting in the rain doesn't sound like fun, but riding it once was cool (literally and figuratively)

bellerose
04-06-2008, 01:14 PM
Thanks for all the answers. And the best part is that my friend actually worked at Disney and still didn't beleive me. She called her friend that still works there and found out it had no loop. So thanks!!!:cloud9:

#1donaldfan
04-06-2008, 01:39 PM
no loop, but I sure wish there was....

...THAT RIDE IS AWESOME!!!!!:mickey:

tinkerstinker
04-06-2008, 07:45 PM
Goodness! Where? Remind me to never go there! :nono:

I could be wrong, but my oldest loves thrill coasters. It seems to me that Son of Beast in King's Island, Cincinnati, OH is a wooden coaster WITH a loop and WITHOUT a shoulder restraint.
Someone correct me if Im wrong, as my DD isn't here right now to ask.

jszczur5
04-07-2008, 01:35 AM
No shoulder harness restraint = no loop!

Mufasa
04-07-2008, 04:12 AM
I could be wrong, but my oldest loves thrill coasters. It seems to me that Son of Beast in King's Island, Cincinnati, OH is a wooden coaster WITH a loop and WITHOUT a shoulder restraint.
Someone correct me if Im wrong, as my DD isn't here right now to ask.

Son of Beast had a loop, but that was removed after the 2006 season.

The original train cars for Son of Beast (since replaced with lighter trains manufactured by Gerstlauer I believe) were manufactured by Premier Rides which around 2001/2002 gained some attention in the industry for introducing a retrofit lap bar/ankle restraint design that they fitted on a number of their looping coasters in place of the over the shoulder harness design which was applauded for better rider comfort (some of their coaster designs, particularly with their launched coasters had complaints from riders that they would bang their head against the restraints).

The other manufacturer that immediately comes to mind that has built coasters capable of inversions with a non over the shoulder restraint system is Maurer Sohne's X-car designs.

Other ride manufacturers like Vekoma have been experimenting with a hybrid lap bar and vest design in place of an over the shoulder restraint on some suspended style coasters (so the restraints are more flat and fit across your chest rather than being heavily padded and putting direct pressure across your shoulders).

WDWdriver
04-07-2008, 09:28 AM
Thanks for the input, Mufasa. Always good to hear from you.

For those of you who don't already know, Mufasa is a Disney Imagineer.

tinkerstinker
04-08-2008, 06:38 PM
Thank you so much Mufasa for your info! Its been a few years(at least) since my DD was at King's Island, but I was sure she had told me this. After posting that here, I caught a show on thrill coasters that evening and I believe another coaster that has a loop without shoulder restraints was mentioned, but can't remember it.
Your information is very interesting, thanks again!:mickey: