PDA

View Full Version : Disney Announces Two New DVC Resorts on the Monorail

Maleficent's Dad
04-01-2008, 09:17 AM
Released today!

The Orlando Sentinel
From the Associated Press
April 1, 2008

Standing in front of reporters at Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort, Chief Financial Officer Nick Azzara announced this morning plans for Disney to expand their popular time-share division by converting two of their deluxe resorts into Vacation Club villas.

“The Disney Vacation Club is happy to announce that we will be converting units at both the Grand Floridian and Polynesian resorts into Vacation Club villas,” Azzara said in a prepared statement. “There as been an overwhelming demand for villas at these locations. As most of you know, the Disney Vacation Club has already begun construction at Disney’s Contemporary Resort. With the addition of the Grand Floridian and Polynesian projects, we feel that our members will have more choices in which they may choose to invest in their vacation homes.”

Disney often refers to their time-share units as “homes,” giving members the false impression that they are owners of property at Walt Disney World. In fact, members sign contracts which give them more of a lease on Disney’s properties. Most Vacation Club contracts expire in 2042, with some going to 2054. When the contracts expire, Disney resumes control of these properties.

In fielding questions about the new projects, Azzara pointed out the success that the vacation club has already experienced. Indeed, Disney’s Vacation Club has had unparalleled success in the greater Orlando area, encompassing over 150,000 members since its inception in 1991.

“As Disney Vacation Club grows,” Azzara said, “we need to provide options for both new and existing members. The Contemporary, Polynesian and Grand Floridian Resorts will provide members with these options.”

But not all agree with Azzara’s assertion that the Vacation Club’s expansion is good for business.

“The Poly is our favorite!” said Mary Neubart, a guest at Disney’s Polynesian resort. “We’ve been staying here since the 70’s. It’s one of the original resorts! They can’t change it now.”

While the Vacation Club forges ahead with plans for expansion, guests like Neubart feel that change may not always be a good thing. “When we came here in 1975 for the first time,” Neubart said, “there were three places to stay – the Poly, the Contemporary, or Fort Wilderness. I like the originals; they were part of Walt’s initial concept for Disney World. Why does everything in Florida have to be a time-share?”

Azzara didn’t take questions from guests. After reading his prepared statement, he took few questions from reporters. Before leaving, however, he promised more news to come.

“The Disney Vacation Club will continue to explore what is best for its membership. Members have been stating for years that they wanted monorail access. With our current plans, we will now have three vacation club resorts on the monorail.”

Azzara continued, saying, “We will be posting initial artist renderings of our new plans on line this week. This is an exciting time for the Vacation Club and all of its members.”

Exciting for members of the Disney Vacation Club maybe, but not for all guests traveling to Walt Disney World.

Ed
04-01-2008, 09:32 AM
Did he say anything about the stories being carried on the local TV stations today about WDW expanding the monorail to the Animal Kingdom Lodge? :confused:

Crow
04-01-2008, 09:39 AM
Now if only I could afford a DVC.
they should have some value ones.
Hey mayb w the success of the DVC they can drop rates at the resorts:thumbsup::thedolls:

Ian
04-01-2008, 09:43 AM
Ignore me please!

IloveDisney71
04-01-2008, 09:46 AM
Now if only I could afford a DVC.
they should have some value ones.
Hey mayb w the success of the DVC they can drop rates at the resorts:thumbsup::thedolls:

I also wish I could afford to become a DVC member...maybe I'll win the lottery one day!
I don't see Disney dropping rates on anything anytime soon. :(

GrumpyFan
04-01-2008, 09:50 AM
This is an April Fool's joke, right?

Ian
04-01-2008, 09:54 AM
This is an April Fool's joke, right?I knew that! :blush:

ibrowse17
04-01-2008, 09:55 AM
This is an April Fool's joke, right?

I was wondering the same thing. Are they really reporting an extention of the monorail to the AK? That would be cool:thumbsup:

Jeff G
04-01-2008, 09:55 AM
Released today!

Did he say anything about the stories being carried on the local TV stations today about WDW expanding the monorail to the Animal Kingdom Lodge? :confused: :thedolls::thedolls::thedolls:

1DisneyNut
04-01-2008, 10:01 AM
It must be April fool's day. lol
When did he give this speech, 5:00 AM? :secret:
There isn't any mention of this on the Sentinel's website or anywhere else for that matter.

dudeman1975
04-01-2008, 11:09 AM
Good April Fools joke. Rooms in deluxe resorts are hard enough to come by these days. Contemporary is now one of the most difficult with the subtraction of one wing.

TheRustyScupper
04-01-2008, 01:40 PM
1) It will be interesting to hear the following information.
2) Especially if it is April 2nd or later.

big blue and hairy
04-01-2008, 02:33 PM
Nice touch with the quote box. Judging from your screen name, the apple didn't fall far from the tree....that's just evil, especially to people who read it before their first cup of coffee.

:sulley:

BluewaterBrad
04-01-2008, 05:55 PM
Great Joke!! You got me!! I almost picked up the phone to make a fall ressie at the Poly untill I read the replies!:mickey:

Maleficent's Dad
04-02-2008, 09:06 AM
Okay, so if you haven't figured it out by now, my OP was a complete fabrication.

However - IAN - you were totally busted! You went for it; I wish you had left your original post up... ;)

The funny part of the whole thing is that my original "idea" for April fools was to write an article about how Disney was now required to charge all those who have stayed in Cindy's Castle a "TAX" for their stay - including former guests (some sort of legal thing). But I figured that it would have been too cruel as IAN has already stayed there and would have believed the story!

Tinkermom
04-02-2008, 09:38 AM
Geez Ian, anything that starts with "Disney Announces..." on APRIL 1st should clue you in! :razz: How long have you been around here??? :rotfl:

I wish I had seen Ian's original reply!