PDA

View Full Version : AKL room type question

disneyfanfromoz
04-01-2008, 01:20 AM
I am from Australia and we are coming to WDW later in the year. We are going to stay at AKL because my son LOVES animals and so making such a long trip to America just to come to WDW a savannah view is the deciding factor in the accomodation decisions.

So, we want a savannah view, thats no problem, we are happy to book that and pay for it, but we also want the concierge - club level, because we want to do the Sunrise safari adventure and the wildlife discovery excursion, which is only available for concierge level guests (and have turn down service and the other perks). So we are wanting to book the concierge level room, but are not guaranteed to have a savannah room, I believe it is a possibility, but not all concierge rooms have a savannah room. My son is already so excited about waking up and seeing the animals outside his room.

I have been told by our travel agent to book the concierge - club level room and she will request a savannah view room, but this is not guaranteed but there will be a good chance of getting it.

My only concern is that we arrive (late check-in about 10.00pm due to flight connections from Australia) and we do not have a savannah room, but a pool or a carpark view (which we would be so upset about as it would have been cheaper to book a savannah room and be assured to get one, then to pay more for concierge and get a carpark view).

I had the thought (as we are staying 21 nights), to book the first night as a savannah view room and the remainder of the nights a concierge level room, and hope they don't move us, or another thought was to book the savannah view room and when we arrive at checkin, see if we can pay and upgrade to have our room as a concierge level room. Has anyone heard of this?, do you think either of those would work? or could I do either of those options? The savannah view is very important to our stay (even though we will be at the parks much of the day, it will still be the joy on my son's face waking up and seeing the animals outside). Now with the DVC, are the concierge rooms just any room and they add robes, make up mirror etc, so would my ideas of booking and paying for savannah view then paying difference between savannah and concierge on arrival and have the same room possible.

Would really really appreciate any advice from experienced WDW/AKL guests or cast members, who can help me decide which room to book to make sure that we get the savannah room to make my and my 7yr olds trip of a lifetime that extra little bit special (I know it will be very special just going to WDW).

Thanks so much in advance for any advise.

WRWDisney
04-01-2008, 10:51 AM
If your main purpose for the concierge - club level room is to due the Sunrise Safari, why not book the room for the first night or two of your stay (or any time during your stay, just trying to think about the easiest logistics) and then have a second reservation for a savannah view room for the remainder of the trip. From looking at the prices, it looks like club level rooms run anywhere from $45/night - $85/night more. If you do 2 nights in a club level room and 19 in a savannah view room, you'll save anywhere from $855 - $1,615. On the high-end, that would just about cover the cost of the dining plan for your party of three. Even on the low end, it would just about cove AP's for the three of you or more than cover the actual cost of the Sunrise Safari.

Just a thought. :secret:

Stickey
04-01-2008, 11:03 AM
I suggest that you book a few days in a club room and most of your nights in a savannah view room.

For the savannah view room, request: Zebra Trail overlooking the Arusha savannah; 3rd or 4th floor.
Zebras are located only in the Arusha savannah. You will see zebras, giraffes, eland, wildebeest, ankole cattle, and a few interesting birds.

Tigerinvestigator
04-01-2008, 02:47 PM
I agree with the other posters and would go with the short stay for concierge and then book a Savannah room for the rest of the trip. We love the AKL and cannot imagine staying there for 21 days! Congratulations you will have a blast. This will be our fourth trip to AKL in May and we will be staying 7-8 nights. We have decided our favorite view is definately the water view of the Oasis. It is gorgeous and we like it more than the Savannah view (probably not many like us). The AKL is one of the best resorts at WDW and is among our top 5. Hope you have a fantastic time at WDW and in our great Country!:thumbsup:

mudpuppysmom
04-01-2008, 03:08 PM
Even though we are only staying for a week, we booked a club level room so we could do the safari then I'll "check out" and "check in" on another day for our regular room ressie, but I agree with the idea to book a day or two in club level then the rest in a savannah view room -- because it will save you a bundle, yet you can still go on the Sunrise Safari!

Have a wonderful 21 days!! I'm just a tad jealous......my DS would love to stay that long!! He asks when we can MOVE to WDW all the time!! He thinks it's a different world than we live in, but I don't tell him any different either.....

disneyfanfromoz
04-01-2008, 05:48 PM
Thank you all so much for taking the time to reply.
We are so looking forward to this trip, it is going to be very special and the most wonderful trip. My only worry is the accomodation, we actually wouldn't mind having concierge for the whole trip (yes, a little spoilt I know, but this isn't a trip we will be doing again soon so want to make the most of it).

Does anyone know if I booked the savannah view room, when we arrive and check in, would we then be able to pay and upgrade that room to a concierge room (stay in that room), or would we have to change rooms?
Are the concierge rooms at AKL regular rooms with concierge benefits (since the old concierge rooms became DVC rooms) or are concierge completely seperate rooms used only for concierge at AKL?

Sorry to be a pest.
Thank you so much

Mulan
04-01-2008, 10:24 PM
I would do a split ressie and when you check in, talk to them. Most times they are very helpful as long as the resort is not booked. I would book a savannah view first and then ask if you could upgrade that room. Plus, that way you are guarenteed to have the savannah view that first morning when the animals are moving and eating. Your son will love it!

TammiMcMan
04-02-2008, 10:29 AM
If you want club level for your whole stay, I'd just go ahead and book it. I have not talked to one person who hasn't gotten a savannah view from their club level room. If by some very small chance they can't accomodate you on your first night due to late check-in, they can absolutely move you at the earliest convenience. I wouldn't worry about it at all.

Does anyone know if I booked the savannah view room, when we arrive and check in, would we then be able to pay and upgrade that room to a concierge room (stay in that room), or would we have to change rooms?For a lot of reasons, there is no guarantee that they'll allow you to do this.

Are the concierge rooms at AKL regular rooms with concierge benefits (since the old concierge rooms became DVC rooms) or are concierge completely seperate rooms used only for concierge at AKL?Within the Disney reservation system, concierge rooms have a different code and they usually have some upgraded amenities not found in the standard rooms. To the best of my knowledge, the club level rooms are now located on the 4th floor, overlooking the Arusha Savannah. The lounge and staff are on the 6th floor.

Bri
04-02-2008, 11:19 AM
I would do a split stay between savannah room and concierge room. The only warning I have is that you might want to do the concierge room for longer than 2 days. The sunrise safari is only availble on Sundays and Thursdays and there are only 28 spots available. It would really stink if you did the concierge room for a few days to get the sunrise safari and have the safari be booked during that time. You can book the sunrise safari though AKL concierge service but I don't know how far in advance you can book it or if you have to have a pre-existing concierge level reservation. Good Luck!

TammiMcMan
04-02-2008, 03:12 PM
You can book the sunrise safari though AKL concierge service but I don't know how far in advance you can book it or if you have to have a pre-existing concierge level reservation.90 days and yes, you do need an existing club level reservation before talking with IPO.