PDA

View Full Version : Old Key West vs Saratoga Springs

Terk24
03-31-2008, 06:32 PM
Debating between two resorts. What are the pros and cons to both....food, rooms, busses, etc Any info would be great!!! Thanks:mickey:

KineGirl
03-31-2008, 07:28 PM
OKW is our first home resort and we love it! Seems to be pretty convenient to everything. The Keys atmosphere is soooo relaxing :marg: Lots of steel drum music, tropical plants, lakes and golf course. Ive stayed in a studio, 2 & 3 BR at OKW and the villas there are my favorite anywhere Ive stayed to date. Very beautiful! We stayed at SSR (villa) a few years back and we liked that too but I suppose we just prefer the island atmosphere in contrast to the elegant horse country atmosphere of SSR. Both resorts have decent restaurants. OKW is huuuuge but there are bus stops everywhere. If you do book here try to get a bldg as close to welcome ctr as possible to avoid long walks to the main pool, store, bar & counter service.

Maleficent's Dad
03-31-2008, 07:35 PM
Both are DVC resorts, and unless you stay in a studio, you'll have signifcantly more room, including a kitchen, a washer dryer, and a hot tub. Studios have a small kitchenette area, and at OKW, there are 2 beds (whereas SSR has one and a pullout).
Both resorts have a Community Hall, basketball, tennis, barbeque areas, picnic tables, 2 pool bars, resorts share a boat to DTD, and several quiet pools.

The accomodations, no matter what size, are significantly larger at OKW.

OKW

Much more established & mature resort
Has an area near the main pool resembling a small boardwalk
Small bar, kind of like a shack, really (lots of character, however)
Take-out window for food
Sit-down restaurant at Olivia's (B, L, D)
Very nice gift shop area
Accomodations are LARGE
Great parking at resort
Very spread out
Golf course runs through the resort

SSR

Very large resort
Has Turf Club (no b'fast) for sit-down eats
Artist's Palette is a unique eatery/gift shop area
Nice main pool with zero-entry
Newer resort
Walk to DTD
Short ferry ride to DTD
Golf course ON premises (with driving range & practice green)
Confusing layout (IMO)

For what it's worth, we prefer OKW as it's more comfortable (and those large rooms are a draw). Many on these boards prefer SSR, but we've stayed there only once (when still under construction), but we will return. Actually, we'll be back to both eventually (DVC).

missbrookwood
03-31-2008, 07:54 PM
I agree that I like the theme of OKW. It is that of a Jimmy Buffet song. The pool area is nice and it does have the feel of a small boardwalk however I love SSR. It feels so elegant. I love the horse racing theme. The pool is great and the rooms are beautiful I have stayed in a one bedroom and a studio. We loved them both but the one bedroom was incredible. The main pool is so nice but the quiet pools are just that. Very quiet and that is nice when you want to just chill and be alone. The food court was good food also. A little nicer that most. It even has an incredible spa that you can use on one of your afternoons. I would choose this resort. It is great to look over the lake and see DTD.

Terk24
03-31-2008, 08:10 PM
For what it is worth...if anything...??? :thumbsup: We are DVC members and will be staying in a 2br. Thanks so far for the info. Any feelings on the bussing???

Maleficent's Dad
03-31-2008, 09:37 PM
Any feelings on the bussing???
Disney buses...
Much debate on this subject...

I will say that it has improved over the past few years - meaning it's more efficient. But from my experience, buses at both resorts are comparable.

In both resorts, there are numerous bus stops - this gives you an idea of their respective sizes. You could be on the bus 5-10 additional minutes after you get into the resort until you reach your stop.

Lucyrella
04-04-2008, 11:03 PM
We were originally booked at POP last year, and I got an email saying we could upgrade to either OKW or SS, we chose the OKW. We had a 1bdrm villa, in a perfect location of the property.... (thanks to Malificent's Dad above for all the tips.) We were in a lower lever with a golf course view right across from the pool and main area. It was quiet, and just a blast to be on. I am going to miss it this coming September, we are booked for POP again, it was so relaxing. With 2 small children, being able to park right in front of your villa was a key factor for us... it was nice! ENJOY!:cloud9:

g8rgirl29
04-05-2008, 04:18 PM
We stayed at OKW Sept 07 in bldg 25. We learned quickly that if you are in bldgs 23-26 and don't mind a short walk that it is better to catch the bus to the parks at the hospitality house (last pick up of the resort) and get off at our stop Peninsular Rd (1st stop on return). This kept us from "touring" the resort repeatedly. The longest we waited for the bus anywhere was 17 min, and that was only one time, it usually averaged about 10 minutes. The buses were only full to capacity at park closing time.
I love the look and feel of OKW. From what other guests said the livingroom at OKW is larger than SS. You can leave the sleeper sofa open without problems navigating around the room at OKW where you need to fold to navigate at SS. Also full sized washer and dryer at OKW.