PDA

View Full Version : Dining in Resorts

jordy2028
03-31-2008, 01:49 PM
Hello all. What a wonderful site!!! We've got ADR's at:
Day 1 - Spirit of Aloha at Polynesian
Day 2 - Whispering Canyon at Wilderness Lodge
Day 4 - Fare Park 1900 at Grand Floridian (Character Dinner)
Day 6 - Boma at Animal Kingdom Lodge
Day 7 - Hoop Dee Doo Revue at Fort Wilderness
My question is while we'll most likely arrive fairly early to these resorts, are there specific areas in these resorts that we won't want to miss? Thanks for your guidance!

McGoofy
03-31-2008, 03:33 PM
:welcome: to Intercot!

You have some fabulous ADR's!:mickey:

It looks like you will be at all Deluxe resorts. I love walking around the lobbys and checking things out. Each resort that you will be at has it's own unique qualities. Definitely if you have the time, arrive early and allow yourself time to explore. The Polynesian has 2 levels that you can walk around. I also enjoy walking outside and looking at the pool area. Wilderness Lodge--just to walk into the lobby is amazing. You will feel like you are in lobby at Yellowstone. Go out back beyond the pool area and see Old Faithful! The Grand Floridian is lovely. Check out the grounds as well as both levels of the lobby. Animal Kingdom Lodge--again this is another amazing lobby. You can go outside and look at the animals. Fort Wilderness--well, just allow yourself plenty of time to get there. This always seems to be slow going for anybody trying to get to HDD!! I'm not sure what is out there to explore, but I am sure that somebody will come along to mention that. We have been to HDD once, but we were cutting it close to our reservation so we didn't have time to walk around. It was a 9pm show, so it was late when we were done, so we were just trying to get back to our resort. Have fun. I think you will love all of the places that you chose!:thumbsup:

wendy*darling
03-31-2008, 04:30 PM
:mickey: Welcome to INTERCOT! :mickey:

You will find a ton of information and help from fellow Disney-lovers here!

Your ADRs look very good.
Visiting the resorts is a lot of fun. It's good that you are considering allowing enough time to look around while you are there.
Every one of those you have chosen has something cool to see.

The Poly is lush and beautiful. Walk around the lobby (ground floor) and out onto the beach. You have a terrific view of the MK from here.
The Wilderness Lodge is gorgeous! It is a huge log structure- the lobby is spectacular. They have a Hidden Mickey hunt here (it's pretty hard too)- just ask for the list at the concierge desk. Also check out the little stream that starts in the back of the lobby- follow that stream as it becomes the pool! While you are out back- there is a geyser that "erupts" on a schedule (ask at the front desk for this schedule as well).
The Grand Floridian is elegant. Again- a beautiful multi-storied lobby. 1900 Park Fare is on the ground floor just off to the side. In the evenings there is often a live swing band playing on the balcony. During the afternoon you may hear a pianist at the grand piano in the lobby. The shops are very nice and the massive chandelier is truly stunning!
At the Animal Kingdom Lodge you have a number of great things to look at. The massive lobby is full of African artwork, beautiful colors and yummy smells. If you walk out back- you can see some of the animals on the Savannah!
And Fort Wilderness can be a day trip in itself. But if you are just going for dinner- I recommend arriving by boat from the MK. It's a pleasant walk from the dock to Pioneer Hall. The Settlement Trading Post is along the way as well. If you have more time- walk among the camping loops and enjoy the peaceful setting.

Enjoy! :mickey:

lightyearfan
03-31-2008, 04:36 PM
:welcome: great choices, me and dw are doing the resort dining for our breakfest, we figured what can we do to change things up a bit so we decided on breakfest at different resorts, here are our choices:
(BREAKFEST)
1. BOMA'S (AKL)
2. KONA CAFE (POLY)
3. SPOODLES (BOARDWALK)
4. BOATWRIGHTS (POFQ)
5. WHISPERING CANYON (WL)
6. CAPTAINS GRILLE (YACHT CLUB)
7. OLIVA'S CAFE (OLD KEY WEST)

all except for Boatwrights are new, so enjoy your trip and good eats.

Victor

chicklittlemom
03-31-2008, 06:10 PM
:welcome: to Intercot!

I can only tell you about AKL- but there is alot to see there!

There is a Hidden Mickey hunt. Ask the Concierge Desk for the sheet and also ask them for a map of the Lodge. The map has a "paw print" icon that shows good places to see the animals. If you are there after dark, go out to Arusha Rock and ask for night-vision goggles. Very fun to watch the animals.

Zawadi Marketplace has some beautiful African-themed gifts. I love walking through the shop.

Lots of African artwork to enjoy. There was a CM that just walked around with us and talked about the different artifacts.

I love the Lobby. Took so many pictures of it! And the smell is amazing...

Enjoy your trip :mickey:

Belle_0717
03-31-2008, 07:31 PM
Don't miss the Wyland Gallery at Poly. AKL has tons of fun things to do and great shopping. You defiantley have to check out the savanah and the flamingo pond. Victoria falls lounge is a great palce to get a drink while waiting for your table, or you can sit around the 2 firepits they have.