PDA

View Full Version : Travelling Blues

wizardmickey
03-30-2008, 07:27 PM
My darling Mrs. Ice (Christy for the handful of you who've met her) called me from Scotland this afternoon telling me to do a websearch concerning problems at London/Heathrow's new Terminal 5. This is what I found out:

Heathrow LONDON — Heathrow Airport opened a gleaming new terminal Thursday in an effort to ease congestion and brighten up the aging hub near London, but initial delays left passengers less than enthusiastic about the expensive new structure.
Terminal 5, a large space flooded with light and with an open view of the airfield and countryside beyond, was built to ease congestion and brighten up the busy but increasingly run-down and cramped London airport.
The first plane arrived from Hong Kong without a problem. But then the passengers from Miami found they could not get off the plane because of jetway problems.
Once those were solved, they said they waited 30 minutes in the new baggage hall, where airport officials had vowed the state-of-the-art belt system would be ready "from day one" to repair Heathrow's reputation as a place where arrivals are slowed by poor baggage handling.
The new terminal's problems forced British Airways to cancel 33 of 534 departing flights on Thursday flights.
British Airways has exclusive use of terminal — which is able to handle 30 million passengers a year — and is moving many of its flights from Heathrow's other terminals to the new building
Technical problems with the baggage handling system have beset the opening of Heathrow's new fifth terminal, forcing incoming passengers to wait up to two hours for their luggage.
Despite assurances that hi-tech systems would end the notorious disruption suffered by arrivals at the airport, passengers were left fuming at the long waits.
In addition, travellers heading through departures faced long queues to pass through check-in and security.
To add to the teething problems a set of escalators, which had worked perfectly for six months before the opening, broke down, while there were also difficulties for people trying to pay at a car park during the early morning.
British Airways, the sole occupant of the new terminal, was eventually forced to cancel 68 out of 380 flights Thursday.
About 20 per cent flights out of Terminal 5 have been cancelled Friday and officials say the problem may extend into Saturday.
"They're calling this an absolute national embarrassment," CTV's London Bureau Chief Tom Kennedy reported Friday.
Tony Pascoe, 35, and his mother arrived at the airport at 4 a.m. Friday to fly to Vienna for a holiday.
Pascoe, whose mother is flying for the first time ever, told The Daily Telegraph that none of the desks were open when they arrived and then they were told that their flight was cancelled.
BA chief executive Willie Walsh offered his sincere apologies to customers Friday, admitting to getting "off to a very poor start."
The baggage system is supposed to be able to handle 12,000 bags an hour.
"I'm not a happy bunny,'' said Sarah Lowdon, whose flight to Newcastle was cancelled Thursday. "They said they'd refund my money but the time I've lost is mine. They said it was because of baggage problems, but all I have is a carry-on. I'm being penalized for their mistakes," she told The Associated Press.
Other problems included a shortage of parking spots for employees and major delays in the security screening of staff, said Kennedy.
Terminal 5 is Britain's largest enclosed space and is equipped to handle up to 30 million passengers a year.
At the opening two weeks ago, which was attended by the Queen, officials said the new terminal would help solve congestion at Heathrow's other terminals.

wizardmickey
03-30-2008, 07:36 PM
(Part 2)
Now, from what she's hearing from people over there, the numbers are actually much higher and worse than the media is letting on (apparently still trying to save some face by playing it down.)
She's put in a call to her company's Logistics Coordinator to have her return flights rerouted. She normally goes through Skifoldt in Amsterdam when going back and forth from the UK, and on a rare occasion has gone through Gatwick. But, it seems with Terminal 5 opening, all BA traffic no longer goes to Gatwick anymore (but she could still go through Skifoldt if her flight plans can be changed.)
Needless to say, she has spent 2 weeks already in India and Dubai back to back and is now in Scotland for about 4 days and she doesn't really want to have to deal with the catastrophe that is going on at Heathrow when it's time for her to come home. So, please everybody cross your fingers/say a prayer and keep her in your thoughts as she tries to make her way home next week.

wizardmickey
04-02-2008, 01:37 AM
She either begins her flights back late tomorrow (Wednesday) or very early Thursday her time (I get so confused) and is supposed to be home by Late Thursday night.
But as of the last communication with her office this afternoon (I have to relay info back and forth for her since she's offline), flight plans had not been changed, and apparently the delays at Heathrow are now up to 40% delayed &/or canceled, with luggage "vanishing" for anywhere from 2 hours up to 2 days!

Chescat
04-02-2008, 01:54 AM
Ouch, think I'd go from someplace else or send my suitcase home via delivery somehow. :secret:

milklady
04-02-2008, 07:59 AM
Its such a shame that she is stuck with going threw this mess. Give her our thoughts and tell her deep breaths. And i thought Atlanta was bad gosh! Hope she is home soon in your arms.

wizardmickey
04-02-2008, 07:28 PM
Short of driving from Aberdeen (Dyce) to.... uh, wherever she would have to drive to catch another flight out, I guess that wasn't an option.
BUT.... GOOD NEWS! Last minute reprieve: We were on IM/Computer to Computer calling, and she recieved message that she was being rerouted to Skifoldt, Amsterdam! So she'll miss all of the London Madness this trip!! Having to go from Scotland to Amsterdam to Houston to here will add 2 hours to her trip, but she will come home all in one piece with all of her stuff!!
YAAAAAAAAAAAAYY!!!!!!!!

mickeytinkerbellprincess
04-02-2008, 08:09 PM
Glad that everything worked out, Ice. Say hello for me! :)

terri.m
04-03-2008, 09:29 AM
I'm so happy things are working out to get dear Mrs Ice home early!! I saw something on the news about the problems they are having there. I hope next time she has to go that way they send her a different route!

Give Christy a big hug from Ty and I when she gets home! :mickey:

TinkRocks
04-04-2008, 08:41 AM
...and people wonder why I haven't been 'back home' for years.

Don't get me wrong - England has it's good stuff too, but some things are just an embarrassment. Airports are a pain - Heathrow and Gatwick are horrific. I think being a major hub between North America and Europe, as well as London being a major tourist destination, doesn't help the situation.

I have a couple of friends that work for airlines at the London airports - one of them quit last year and moved to France and the other is just really unhappy but doesn't want to leave the 'good position' she has with the company (travel perks, etc.).