View Full Version : Florida Teen Wins YOMD "Grand Marshal World Tour"

Ed
03-30-2008, 07:30 AM
From OrlandoSentinel.com

Eustis teen and family begin worldwide Disney theme-park tour

Dewayne Bevil
Sentinel Staff Writer
March 30, 2008

Luck and a bit of grandmotherly advice catapulted a Eustis (FL) teenager from an Epcot ride to an around-the-world tour of all 11 Disney theme parks.

Joshua Peterson, now 18, was exiting Mission: Space when he was tapped by Disney World workers as the winner of the "grand marshal world tour" prize, one of the gifts tied to the company's Year of a Million Dreams promotion.

"We were going to go eat first, but my friend's grandma told me that we might as well go on the ride first so we wouldn't get sick," Peterson recalled.

His prize-winning spin happened last March, early in the Million Dreams push, which has been extended through 2008.

"I didn't know anything about it until after they came up to me on the ride and said 'How do you feel about winning?' " Peterson said. "I never knew what they were talking about."

At first, the confusion included his mother, who was not at the theme park that day.

"When they called me and told me he won the grand marshal world tour and that he was at Epcot, I thought he got to be in the parade at Epcot going around World Showcase," said Tracy Lauritzen, Peterson's mom, who will accompany her son on the trip along with his 7-year-old sister, Jill, and stepfather, Kevin Lauritzen.

The selection of winners is "totally random," said Faron Kelley, project director of the Year of a Million Dreams for Disney. A computer program determines the exact location and time for each prize to be awarded. Select cast members then descend upon the winners. "It's almost a covert operation," Kelley said.

Although Peterson, a senior at Eustis High School, was an annual passholder with a penchant for attractions such as Expedition Everest at Disney's Animal Kingdom and Splash Mountain at Magic Kingdom, his prize-winning day was the first time he had ridden Mission: Space.

"He was on the right seat at the right time," Tracy Lauritzen said.

The whirlwind tour begins with the Magic Kingdom parade on Wednesday. After hitting the three other Disney parks in Central Florida, the family will be flown to the two parks in Anaheim, Calif., followed by stops at the Asian parks (Hong Kong Disneyland, Tokyo Disneyland, Tokyo DisneySea) and the two in France (Disneyland Paris and Walt Disney Studios Park).

"They will be treated as VIPs in these locations," Kelley said, complete with tour guide. Housing, airfare and meals are included in the prize. The official rules list its "approximate retail value" as $45,370.

Disney said it gave away 1.25 million prizes last year, ranging from Disney Vacation Club memberships to not-available-in-stores mouse ears to front-of-line privileges to an extra hour at water parks. A prize similar to the one Peterson landed is still available but has not been awarded yet this year. The same is true of the prize that provides exclusive private time on Castaway Cay, Disney's private island in the Bahamas.

Dewayne Bevil can be reached at [email protected] or 407-420-5477.

Copyright © 2008, Orlando Sentinel

Nascfan
03-30-2008, 08:21 AM
Very cool! Congratulations the the lucky family. :mickey: :thumbsup:

disneydeb
03-30-2008, 09:05 AM
It is always nice to know somone is a winner.:thumbsup:

Ian
03-30-2008, 09:20 AM
That's awesome! What a great experience ... that's one lucky family!

ibrowse17
03-30-2008, 10:51 AM
How cool for that guy. It does settle an argument between my DW and I. She says she would rather win a night at the castle, and I have said I would rather have the world tour. Oh well, you can not go wrong with either.:thumbsup:

pdrlkr
03-30-2008, 12:13 PM
Awesome! :thumbsup:

CaptainJessicaSparrow
03-30-2008, 12:58 PM
I saw them heading out to award this prize! I was walking and saw the huge group of about 5 white vested DT and a few leaders with them and I was like, "Oh....someone is getting lucky!!"

BluewaterBrad
03-30-2008, 03:47 PM
Thanks Ed. Another good article!:mickey:

c&d
03-31-2008, 10:37 AM
Very cool, hate to have to pay the taxes on that prize.

Jeff G
03-31-2008, 10:57 AM
I'm so jealous:mickey:, that is an awesome prize!

magicofdisney
03-31-2008, 01:45 PM
This would have been my first prize of choice. What an unbelievable experience. I wonder if he's come down from the clouds yet.

Very cool, hate to have to pay the taxes on that prize.
Good point. How do they go about determining the amount? Is it based on the single prize estimate or do they add that to your yearly income and base it on that total?

Buttercup
04-05-2008, 10:48 PM
Lucky guy!
Here in Canada we don't have to pay taxes on lottery or prize winnings. I imagine they base it as part of your income and determine the taxes on that.

FortheloveofStitch
04-05-2008, 11:12 PM
I thought Disney provided enough $ to cover taxes. Might be wrong. I am sure someone remembers.

Hope my turn comes in 6 days!!!!

FlaTinkRAMESAM
04-05-2008, 11:17 PM
wow... very cool.

I just want some stinkin ears...

GusNJacque
04-06-2008, 03:57 AM
What a great prize. What a fun thing to do.

I would GLADLY pay taxes to win a chance of a life time event like that.

Ibrowse17--I don't know that I could pick between the two prizes of which one is :cool:

KineGirl
04-06-2008, 05:02 AM
Aww sounds like a good one to win this particular prize! Him and his family are very lucky but then Im sure they know that :mickey:

Now thats what I call Disney Magic!!!

joanna71985
04-06-2008, 07:59 AM
Wow. That is one lucky kid!