PDA

View Full Version : Flight dilema and questions

hmcfall711
03-28-2008, 09:33 PM
We are flying down to Orlands to do a Land and Sea package in October. We have flown down the last 3 years in October (much nicer to get their in less than 2 hours instead of a 10-12 hour road trip). The only carriers that offers non-stop service to MCO from my area are Delta and Allegant.

Last year for 2 adults we payed about $650 for a non-stop round trip with Delta. This year it is almost $300 more. (roughly a 33% increase and about 1/2 of what the entire week with Disney is going to cost) I know that the price of operating aircrafts have increased drastically with fuel costs, but this seems crazy.

With Allegant we can fly for less but the only departing flights are at night. We would have to arrive the night before of package begins and rent a car because we would not be able to use ME or pay for shuttle/taxi/ car service and then pay for an extra night or stay at another local hotel off site. Which would end up being the same as flying direct with Delta.
:thedolls:

I have searched tons of fare sites and AAA, as well as, delta's site. There really are not any other discounts we qualify for and most carriers are not offering much of a break for anyone, anyway.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions that could make this easier and maybe a little bit more budget friendly? :confused:

Any help or ideas would be fabulous.:blush:

peemagg
03-28-2008, 10:54 PM
Do you have more than one airport within a couple of hours of your home? I have found quite a difference in prices from airport to airport. For instance if we go out of Flint on Airtran it would cost us around $300 round trip per person. If we fly out of Detroit on the same airline it will cost us more like $125 round trip per person. It might pay for you to drive a little bit further and catch a flight at a different airport.

chick20679
03-29-2008, 12:10 PM
Well, to me, I would rather fly into MCO than SFB because then you can use DME. So that cuts out Allegiant. And if you want a direct flight, without having to drive four hours to another airport (CLT looks like they might offer some cheaper fares, if you're up for it), I would say I'd either take whatever Delta's price is or just drive to Orlando.
Also, I know connecting is sometimes a pain, but it seems like in your situation, somethings got to give. You'll just have to decide just what 'thing' that gives is right for your family. Either convenience, money or travel time.
Good luck with whatever you decide! :pixie:

hmcfall711
03-30-2008, 02:42 AM
Thank you for your input. I thought that both of those ideas were probably my only choice. :confused:
I am hoping something great will come along soon. As of now my DH feels like he wants to drive. :envy: Not me.I really hate the idea of riding for 10 or more hours. It is almost worth any amount of money or number of transfers, to fly instead of driving/ riding that far. :fit::

Mainly because when we get there my DH is tired and does not enjoy the first day as much. :alarm:

Thanks again for the second opinions. Any others would be welcomed.

Bri
03-30-2008, 06:17 PM
i agree that you should consider taking a flight with layovers or looking at a nearby airport. we are going in december and we are leaving here at 630 am and get to disney at 1130 am, we still have most of the day and we got our roundtrip tickets for $260 each for 2 tickets. we are flying out of our small local airport, but sometimes philadelphia is significantly cheaper and it's only a 2 hour drive from our house.