PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone heard of any 'incidents' with the sharks @ TL?

Volksjager
03-28-2008, 11:45 AM
Unsure if my son will do it this time, but I'm hoping he will.

Jasper
03-28-2008, 12:04 PM
While there are certainly some nasty tempered sharks like the Great White, most, like the Nurse Shark, are completely harmless to humans.

While I can't say for sure what type of sharks they use at these interactive pools, I can say that they use the harmless ones.

SBETigg
03-28-2008, 12:31 PM
I've never heard of any problems with the sharks at TL. First, they do use kinds that have no interest in mixing it up with the humans. Second, they separate them with water temperature differences. Apparently, the sharks won't enter cooler water zones, which is why the water is super cold for the snorkelers. My husband and son tried to swim it last time but my son couldn't cope with the frigid water temps. Maybe next time. Best wishes with it.

thrillme
03-28-2008, 01:11 PM
The water is quite chilly but the sharks are bottom dwellers.

One is the Lepord Shark. EXTREMELY docile in fact...they even sell them for home aquariums. (I had an egg case once but it didn't hatch).

The other also a bottom dweller is a Bonnethead. A little larger but also much more afraid of you than you could possibly be of them.

I don't know how old your son is but the water is chilly and the snorkle can be a little challenging. My son was 7 and when he first tried it and was quite amazing. Mastered the snorkle like Jaques Cuesto.

The amuzing thing was one time I "asked" the CM what sharks were in the tank...She informed us that only a small number species of sharks ever harm humans and these weren't them. Poor thing later informed us that she believed they were the TIGER and the HAMMERHEAD ...Uhhh...She probably could have thrown in the Great White as well. Needless to say the group in front of us jumped out. I KNEW what one was for sure (I used to keep a saltwater tank and they sold smaller versions in stores) but I never saw the second species but I knew what it wasn't...

The second wave of chuckles hit me when I was standing in the wave pool as I thought about this again. A friendly life guard came up and asked what was so funny (I must have looked silly just standing there laughing to myself)...I told him and he asked that I describe the CM at the lagoon...He started laughing and knew EXACTLY who she was...couldn't wait to let everybody know so they could RAZ her about it.

elizabeth turner
03-28-2008, 01:30 PM
I have been told that there is plexi (sp?) glass a few feet off the bottom so that the sharks and stingrays can't come near the snorklers. Deos anyone know if this is true?

Goofeygal
03-28-2008, 01:45 PM
I do not believe it is true. I saw a stingray near the steps that you use to exit the tank.

Volksjager
03-28-2008, 02:55 PM
Thanks all!! We are off to SSR tomorrow and will get to TL on Monday. Hopefully my DS(13) will enjoy the sharks.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
03-28-2008, 10:45 PM
I would think with the chance of law suits they make very sure that the sharks in there are not ones that will be aggressive towards you.

Maleficent's Dad
03-29-2008, 10:18 PM
Has anyone heard of any 'incidents' with the sharks @ TL?
From what I've heard, there have only been two guests that were eaten by the sharks :shark: at Typhoon Lagoon. ;)

There is no plexiglass separating guests from the fish.

There are no problems with the sharks. These are not the type of shark that could potentially attack a human being.

BTW, you have a better chance of getting struck by lightning than you do of getting bitten by a shark. And that statistic applies to swimming in the ocean. I'm sure Disney's sharks are even more docile than those in the wild!

thrillme
03-30-2008, 09:15 PM
Nope no plexie glass...just you and the bottom of the sea. Like I stated earlier...they are harmless.

Speedy1998
03-30-2008, 09:51 PM
BTW, you have a better chance of getting struck by lightning than you do of getting bitten by a shark. And that statistic applies to swimming in the ocean. I'm sure Disney's sharks are even more docile than those in the wild!

You have to remember we are not sharks primary food source. Many scientist believe that most shark attacks occur because of mistaken identity, most attacks occur in areas where the sharks primary prey is plentiful.

wedway76
03-31-2008, 02:08 PM
The water is quite chilly but the sharks are bottom dwellers.

One is the Lepord Shark. EXTREMELY docile in fact...they even sell them for home aquariums. (I had an egg case once but it didn't hatch).

The other also a bottom dweller is a Bonnethead. A little larger but also much more afraid of you than you could possibly be of them...

The amuzing thing was one time I "asked" the CM what sharks were in the tank...She informed us that only a small number species of sharks ever harm humans and these weren't them. Poor thing later informed us that she believed they were the TIGER and the HAMMERHEAD ...

I think you are correct, the two species that I recognized were Bonnetheads and Leopard Sharks, and as you said both are bottom dwellers (and bottom feeders) that eat mostly mollusks and crustaceans (crabs and an occasional small octopus). Unless you swim down and poke at them, they really pose no threat at all.

Your CM friend wasn't all that far off, Bonnetheads are actually in the Hammerhead family, but I think the CM got her cats mixed up, Tiger and Leopard, but it makes a WORLD of difference.

BluewaterBrad
03-31-2008, 02:14 PM
That would make an interesting "horror type" movie!:secret::mickey:

yjgirl715
03-31-2008, 02:17 PM
That was a very informative description of the "shark swim". Learn something new each time I visit Intercot. Thank you very much. Can't wait to try it.

thrillme
03-31-2008, 08:30 PM
Your CM friend wasn't all that far off, Bonnetheads are actually in the Hammerhead family, but I think the CM got her cats mixed up, Tiger and Leopard, but it makes a WORLD of difference.

Yep...you're right on the money. Bonnetheads are definately members of the Hammerhead family which is NOT a friendly shark we have them puppies here in Texas waters... I Remember seeing a GIANT one caught in Port Aransas one time...Of course it's gotten bigger since I was 10 :D but I could just about swear it was 20 ft long HA HA...

I think she got her "cats" mixed up too. When she said that I just laughed quietly because I KNEW better (never saw the "bonnethead" till the following year when I was DETERMINED to see it)...I never corrected her...perhaps I should have but we were sent in and I never got the chance. BUT...It cleared off a line of people in front of us so we got in quicker.

Volksjager
04-04-2008, 07:31 AM
UPDATE: 'The Boy' did indeed swim with the sharks! :thumbsup:
He enjoyed it but did comment on the salt water and the fact that his snorkel didn't work well underwater.....go figure.

Anyway, thanks all it was good to be able to say that I asked and got lots of positive feedback.

Cheers!

SBETigg
04-04-2008, 07:58 AM
UPDATE: 'The Boy' did indeed swim with the sharks! :thumbsup:
He enjoyed it but did comment on the salt water and the fact that his snorkel didn't work well underwater.....go figure.

Anyway, thanks all it was good to be able to say that I asked and got lots of positive feedback.

Cheers!

Thanks for the update! So glad it worked out for him. :)

Laughin' place
04-04-2008, 01:52 PM
I have enjoyed this many times with my boys, and I can assure you it is a safe and awesome experience. We will be there in 57 days !!
I did hear one rumor, however....apparently a shark in a Tigger suit punched an obnoxious teenager....:silly: