PDA

View Full Version : Christmas festitivies you DON'T have to pay extra for?

Crystal Palace
03-27-2008, 12:04 PM
My mom and I are planning a holiday trip the first week in December, and I was wondering if there was any sort of Christmas parade or show during the day? Personally, I feel MVMCP is a jip, and if all we can do is look at the decorations with a regular Park Hopper ticket, then I'm fine with that, but I was still curious...

ibrowse17
03-27-2008, 12:10 PM
I really enjoyed the Christmas party, and thought it well worth the extra $$. I think the special parade, fireworks and all the other little touches make it so. You can always see the different resort decorations for free.:mickey:

lightyearfan
03-27-2008, 12:48 PM
My mom and I are planning a holiday trip the first week in December, and I was wondering if there was any sort of Christmas parade or show during the day? Personally, I feel MVMCP is a jip, and if all we can do is look at the decorations with a regular Park Hopper ticket, then I'm fine with that, but I was still curious...

well the only parade that you will see is the Disneys Dreams Come True Parade, the special christmas parade is held 2x during the MVMCP, and watching this parade for the first time last Dec( IMHO) is the best parade that me and dw have seen at WDW and we've seen allot. they also have special shows and a great fireworks show during the MVMCP, that is also outstanding. hope this little post changes your mind about going.

Victor

Figment!
03-27-2008, 12:55 PM
Check out the INTERCOT Seasonal Entertainment Guide (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/../infocentral/holidays/seasonalevents/default.asp) for annual Christmas entertainment events.

McGoofy
03-27-2008, 12:58 PM
It's totally understandable if you don't want to pay extra for MVMCP. There are many other things that are included with your park ticket that you can see. Not to mention, being able to go around to the resorts and check out the decorations. They are beautiful. I think Epcot gives you the most bang for your buck with the Christmas festivities. They have holiday story tellers throughout the World Showcase, the tree lighting ceremony, which is a cute show with a cast of CM's and chacaters, and the Candlelight Processional with a guest narrator and mass choir. If you would like to read my trip reports that also have photos of Christmas activities from this past December, feel free.

Days one and two--Resort decorations and Epcot (http://intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=122645)

Days three and four--MK and DHS (http://intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=122668)

Day five--Animal Kingdom (http://intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=122670)

Crystal Palace
03-27-2008, 01:04 PM
It's totally understandable if you don't want to pay extra for MVMCP. There are many other things that are included with your park ticket that you can see. Not to mention, being able to go around to the resorts and check out the decorations. They are beautiful. I think Epcot gives you the most bang for your buck with the Christmas festivities. They have holiday story tellers throughout the World Showcase, the tree lighting ceremony, which is a cute show with a cast of CM's and chacaters, and the Candlelight Processional with a guest narrator and mass choir. If you would like to read my trip reports that also have photos of Christmas activities from this past December, feel free.

Days one and two--Resort decorations and Epcot (http://intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=122645)

Days three and four--MK and DHS (http://intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=122668)

Day five--Animal Kingdom (http://intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=122670)

Thanks for sharing! It sounds like you had a great time, and the decorations look awesome. I think we will be just fine enjoying those, plus things like the tree-lighting ceremony thing you mentioned. Plus, isn't there a castle-lighting ceremony at Magic Kingdom?

I don't think anything could change my mind about spending an extra almost $50 dollars to see a few extras, so what we can see will suffice.:mickey:

McGoofy
03-27-2008, 01:07 PM
Thanks for sharing! It sounds like you had a great time, and the decorations look awesome. I think we will be just fine enjoying those, plus things like the tree-lighting ceremony thing you mentioned. Plus, isn't there a castle-lighting ceremony at Magic Kingdom?

I don't think anything could change my mind about spending an extra almost $50 dollars to see a few extras, so what we can see will suffice.:mickey:

Thanks. Glad I could help. Yes, the castle lighting was for everybody. I hope they do it again this year. The way it worked when we were there is that it was close to regular park closing, so if you were coming just for the MVMCP, you needed to get there early to see the castle lighting. The MVMCP is a lot of fun, but you can still find many Christmas things to do without paying the extra for the party. Have a great time!:mickey:

dfamasb
03-27-2008, 01:08 PM
I love visiting during the holidays!! I agree that Epcot has the most holiday "stuff" to do, but just seeing the decorations is wonderful. The Osbourne Lights are nice, and the Tree Lighting. You can really tell it's Christmas even without the shows and parades! If you've got extra time, Seaworld :secret: had some free Christmasy stuff going on last time I was there.

Crystal Palace
03-27-2008, 01:08 PM
well the only parade that you will see is the Disneys Dreams Come True Parade, the special christmas parade is held 2x during the MVMCP, and watching this parade for the first time last Dec( IMHO) is the best parade that me and dw have seen at WDW and we've seen allot. they also have special shows and a great fireworks show during the MVMCP, that is also outstanding. hope this little post changes your mind about going.

Victor

Thanks for your info. I'll think about it, but it's almost cost of another full day in the parks (with my Florida Resident discount).

That's pretty costly.

Crystal Palace
03-27-2008, 01:11 PM
Thanks. Glad I could help. Yes, the castle lighting was for everybody. I hope they do it again this year. The way it worked when we were there is that it was close to regular park closing, so if you were coming just for the MVMCP, you needed to get there early to see the castle lighting. The MVMCP is a lot of fun, but you can still find many Christmas things to do without paying the extra for the party. Have a great time!:mickey:

Thanks! I'm sure we'll have a blast! I hope they do the same thing with the castle this year. I saw a video of it on another website, and it was absolutely gorgeous!

Nascfan
03-27-2008, 01:34 PM
I concur with Tara, Epcot has the most. The holidays around the world are fascinating with the storytellers, many of whom are VERY into character. Plan to spread that over two days if you can to avoid running back and forth.

The Osbourne lights at Studios are jaw dropping. You will not believe it, even when you see it.

In '05, there was a stage show at MK, Mickey's Night Before Christmas, held throughout the day. Check showtimes when you're there. Very interesting and cute.

Touring the resorts is an attraction in itself. Ride the monorail around stopping at each of those and especially see the gingerbread house at Grand Floridian.

disneylovinmom
03-27-2008, 06:40 PM
At Hollywood Studios (formerly MGM Studios) they have a wonderful Christmas parade with all the characters in the afternoon and the Osbourne Family Lights are FABULOUS!! Especially if you are there when they turn them on.:mickey:

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
03-27-2008, 09:44 PM
:santa3:I was there in December and went to MVMCP. I am sad to say that the I was not a fan of the party.

But, Epcot was awesome. Osborne Lights were amazing as was the parade at the Studios.

I loved looking at the decorations at the resorts. We were not able to see the Gingerbread house at GF which I really wanted to see but, everything else was amazing.

I really hope they do the Castle lights again. It was simply breathtaking.

You will have a great time...even without the party.

We are taking the kids this December for a week and we are skipping MVMCP and doing all of the other festivities.

LandFan
03-28-2008, 11:57 AM
We really liked the MVMCP last November and are going again this November but there is a LOT to see even if you don't go to that.

Epcot:
The storytellers and santas are awesome! We saw most of them and we liked them all.

Illuminations has a small christmas ending to it.

There is a tree lighting ceremony every evening around 6pm at the entrance to the World Showcase and it is cute!

MK:
THere is a castle lighting ceremony every evening around 6pm

AKL: The parade becomes Mickey's Jingle Jungle parade and is holiday themed

DHS: The parade is holiday themed as well.

Resorts: There are tons of gingerbread creations at the resorts! I heard all about the gingerbread house at the GF, but what I realized is that there were a ton more. For example, the contemporary had a pinnochio gingerbread display, the beach club had a working carousel gingerbread display, the american adventure had a gingerbread house as well by where you can eat.

It was just beautiful everywhere!