PDA

View Full Version : Is this cheating?

WDWCrazyKaren
03-27-2008, 08:38 AM
Ok, I don't know about the rest of you, but the last thing I ever want to do on vacation is spend time writing postcards! By the time we get back to the room, all I want to do is gain enough energy back to do it all again the next day. So, here's what I've started doing. Tell me if you think this is cheating.

I always buy a whole bunch of postcards when I'm at WDW. But...I don't send them, I bring them home with me. Then, before we leave for WDW on the next trip, I address, stamp and write out ALL of the postcards, to everyone we are sending them to. I say things like "We are having a truly wonderful time" and "It's just PERFECT weather" and "The kids loved Typhoon Lagoon today". Stuff like that. Then, when I get there, a few days into the trip, I just pull them out of my suitcase and pop them into a mailbox, and never have to waste precious Disney time writing postcards.

Is this wrong?

faline
03-27-2008, 09:11 AM
Unless something drastic happens on your trip and you're not having a wonderful time, or aren't begin truthful, I don't see why you shouldn't save time in this way.

dumbo_buddy
03-27-2008, 09:26 AM
i don't think it's cheating at all! hey, those people are lucky they are even getting a postcard!

when DH and i went to maui i bought some postcards but then forgot to write them out and mail them! so, i wrote them and mailed 'em when i got home and the folks who got them were none the wiser. they just said, got your postcard, thanks

:mickey:

Jonas_Swe
03-27-2008, 09:30 AM
I wouldn't do that myself. :mickey:
But not because I think that it is cheating... :secret:

I write my postcards over several days on my vacations.
That way they will be evelny distributed through my family and friends over a couple of days when they recieve them in the mail. And they will have different stamped days from the WDW Post Office. :clappy:

And I usually write them when I take a rest. Either before of after a meal, or while enjoying an ice cream on a park bench in one of the parks. :mickey:

I believe that my mood at the time of writing reflects what I write and how I write it. And I am always most happy in one of the parks! :cloud9:

I can also add personal last minute live updates, like "Now we're off to meet Mickey", "Sending hugs while waiting for the parade" or "Goofy says hello!"... that makes the card more personal and my family back home can relate to exactly what I am doing at that moment. And knows that when I had the most fun, I thought about them - and wished that they were there to share the moment! :grouphug:

ibrowse17
03-27-2008, 09:34 AM
My DW did that before our honeymoon, and no one seemed to notice. I thought it a bit strange at first, but once we got to Disney the last thing on our minds were postcards. Glad she thought ahead like that:thumbsup:

DisneyDog
03-27-2008, 11:09 AM
Do they still have places in Epcot where you can take your photo and email it out to people? That's what we have done on our last few trips, instead of postcards.

MarkC
03-27-2008, 11:22 AM
Or at least wait until you are on the plane. That way you can kill lots of down time and it will be done while you are on vacation. Or just not send any this time. No big deal either way. The only thing is-- if someone finds out about it, what would they think of you? It would be a stigma you may be stuck with for quite some time. Mark

IloveDisney71
03-27-2008, 11:22 AM
I've always made address labels and brought my stamps but I've never pre-written my postcards. I never even thought about doing that. I don't think it really matters when you write them. I think it's the thought that counts.:mickey:

WriteDisney
03-27-2008, 11:27 AM
Do they still have places in Epcot where you can take your photo and email it out to people? That's what we have done on our last few trips, instead of postcards.

When I was there last february they did. When you exit the figment ride (I believe you can enter from the outside too, not just from the ride) they send you through a kodac photo area that has all these games and computer activities and one of them you can take your photo and send it out to people. It's pretty cool :thumbsup:

I'm sure they have something like this other places.. its just the only one I know of

King Triton
03-27-2008, 12:19 PM

Yes, there's the Kodak Imagination Pavilion, mentioned in the above post, that is connected to 'Honey I Shrunk the Audience'. You can enter it from the outside.

I believe there is also a 'Postcards from Space' at the end of Mission:Space.

The new Spaceship:Earth ride exits into an area where you can send a 'Postcard from the Future'. You can also enter this area without taking the ride, but I'm not sure if you can send a postcard without taking the ride, since it uses a photo taken of you during the ride.

I haven't done anything in there recently, but I wouldn't be surprised if somewhere in 'Innoventions' you could send a virtual postcard or some type of e-mail.

I'm trying to think of similar kinds of things in other parks and can't think of any offhand...does the Cinema on Main St. in MK allow this since they've VMK enabled the place?

ThanxForNoticin
03-27-2008, 12:33 PM
We used to do the postcard thing. But over the past few years, a 5-minute call on the cell phone gets us in touch with those who might wonder about us while we're away.

thrillme
03-27-2008, 12:51 PM
I get the postcards for ME...because the postcards usually have better photograps than I can take.

I take along a bunch of email address and send from Epcot, etc.

Personally I think it's a great idea. In fact I might be able to top you a little. It's not uncommon for me to stop at the Disney Store or order on-line a handful of "Disney" stuff for souvineers for all those people you HAVE to bring junk back for. It's much cheaper to buy a 2 for 10 coffee cup at the disney store than the $15 each cup downtown.

Kidsmom
03-27-2008, 02:02 PM
our last trip we sent some pictures from our phone...characters and the kids, me and DH enjoying wine in France, etc.... A lot of rubbing it in --- We are here and you are not!

We received a couple from our friends back home having fun together as well....texting is great!

poeticeclipse
03-27-2008, 02:10 PM
More power to you!

I would have never thought it was okay until last year on our honemoon. We brought an address book down to WDW with us and on our 2nd day bought postcards. We were there for 8 days and every day we said to each other "we're doing postcards today..."

Yeah, we still have the pack of postcards. We also have every intention putting postage on before we leave and getting the address part filled out on the plane ride down. Then, actually writing a short blurb once we are there. If I make myself do it pool side I know i'll get them done.

DisneyDog
03-27-2008, 02:14 PM
Hmmm,sending a photo from your phone is a great idea. I didn't think about it because it's been 4 years since I've been back. Last time I went, I didn't have a camera phone. I guess I should start entering email addresses into my phone's address book. Much easier than waiting in line to have your photo taken and entering in info while others are waiting. Plus, it gives you something to do while waiting in a ride queue!

KineGirl
03-27-2008, 03:23 PM
What about letting the kids fill them out .. my DD loves to do this. She still prints out her addresses, folds them around her postcards (which she picks out with care) with a rubber band & pen and whips them out when shes in line- "Im getting ready to become a commander at Buzz" or "Im eating ice cream on Main St" - along with a little note. Then we get back to the resort she posts them. It keeps her busy and her friends and our family have come to enjoy them over the years.

Janmac
03-27-2008, 04:30 PM
I have done the address labels and stamps but I never thought about pre-writing them - tho I usually didn't have any ahead of time to write. I have done a lot of post cards while waiting for meals to arrive.

It seems to me to depend on where the postcards are going and why are you sending them. If the people you're sending to are mostly interested in a Disney postcard, postmarked Disney, then pre-writing isn't cheating. It's sensible.

I like the idea the one poster had of pre-buying souvenirs. I understand that's the norm in Japan where the different tourist destinations are represented in the airport shops for ease of pre or post souvenir buying.

Do you suppose they have pre-written postcards for sale too? :D

Jan

Jasper
03-27-2008, 04:53 PM
OK, I realize I may be in the minority here but are post cards really even necessary any more? Since it seems like just about everyone has a cell phone these days why not make a call to that someone special from WDW. And, with so many telephones having cameras you can do the same thing as a postcard with your cell phone.

Jonas_Swe
03-27-2008, 05:25 PM
OK, I realize I may be in the minority here but are post cards really even necessary any more? Since it seems like just about everyone has a cell phone these days why not make a call to that someone special from WDW. And, with so many telephones having cameras you can do the same thing as a postcard with your cell phone.
That's exactly the reason why I love to send and receive postcards. Since it's quite unusual these days, when you get one you know that your friend has put in a little extra thought for you by buying, writing and posting the card for you. :mickey:

DisneyDog - We did that too! :D
And we also sent video greetings from Innoventions and Mission Mars. :number1:

MNNHFLTX
03-27-2008, 05:51 PM
Lol--I wouldn't call it cheating at all, but your credibility could be called into question if you write "It's just pefect weather" and the folks back home know that it rained the entire time! ;)

I do still enjoy sending a few postcards to select people, but I usually write out one a day. That way it's not so time-consuming, and it's kind of pleasant to reminisce about the day while I write.

brownie
03-29-2008, 03:38 PM
I'd pre-address them but would probably personalize the notes while I was there.

FlaTinkRAMESAM
03-29-2008, 05:19 PM
Mexico also has the picture/email thing right next to the kidcot station.

bmj721
03-29-2008, 08:29 PM
Brilliant!
I'm going to try it this year. I have a bunch of cards from previous trips I've never sent. The people here that I would send cards to never go to WDW. They'll just be happy to receive a piece of colorful mail that isn't a bill or spam.
Thanks!:thumbsup: