PDA

View Full Version : To pick up luggage or not

disnyfan4ever
03-26-2008, 07:32 PM
We are using Disney's Magical Express. We arrive around 6pm on Saturday, May 31st. I'd like to have our luggage by bedtime. Do you think we'd be better to pick up our luggage before going to the bus or letting Disney take care of our luggage for us.

The one other time we've been to WDW we arrived much earlier in the day and our luggage was in our room when we got back to our room from MK.

What has been your experience on how long it takes to get your luggage?

mook3y
03-26-2008, 07:48 PM
Well, when is bed time? :)

I would allow at least 4 - 5 hours for delivery (worse case scenario).

So, you might want to pick up your bags and take them with you, so you don't have to worry about it.

Lizzie
03-26-2008, 08:05 PM
We arrived around 8 AM in our last trip. But our room was ready and our luggage was brought to our room within the hour.

Strmchsr
03-26-2008, 08:08 PM
Usually it takes 2-3 hours for luggage to arrive. Picking up your luggage yourself is a big hassle, so I'd avoid it if possible. Picking up your own luggage can delay you 30-45 min getting to your resort.

swampfox28
03-26-2008, 10:09 PM
Well, I'm in the same boat in that I'm wondering what to do about our luggage as well.

We're flying into Orlando after 11 pm. Even if we pack overnight stuff in a carryon (which we could do) does that mean we'll get a knock on our door at 1 a.m. or that our stuff will be left in the hallway (neither option sounds good.)

Anyone else get in LATE and have experiences to share?? THANKS~!

mook3y
03-26-2008, 10:23 PM
Well, I'm in the same boat in that I'm wondering what to do about our luggage as well.

We're flying into Orlando after 11 pm. Even if we pack overnight stuff in a carryon (which we could do) does that mean we'll get a knock on our door at 1 a.m. or that our stuff will be left in the hallway (neither option sounds good.)

Anyone else get in LATE and have experiences to share?? THANKS~!

You can let the bell staff know when you arrive NOT to disturb you and call and have it delivered when you get up in the morning.

wdwnomad
03-26-2008, 10:43 PM
Whether or not you decide to use the luggage service for DME you should always pack stuff in your carryon that you will need for the first 24 hours. Your bags could get mishandled by the airlines and not arrive with you.

I would pack a carry-on with what you will need and let DME handle the luggage.

Belle619
03-27-2008, 11:31 AM
We had a late flight last year (10-11pm) and decided to use ME - which was our first time using this service.

We didn't realize until we were on the bus that it would take 3-4 hours to get our bags and the problem was that we hadn't placed all of the items that we needed for the night in the carry on - i.e. toiletries like toothpaste that were over the FAA size limit.

So, we asked at the desk of the Poly for someone to bring it up to the room, no matter how late, but they didn't deliver it until the morning when we called down.

Another thing was that its an awful feeling of not knowing exactly where your stuff is all night long. I just had such a fear that my bags didn't make it onto my connecting fligh!

swampfox28
04-01-2008, 01:14 PM
I'm still not sure what we'll do, but I do appreciate the advice!

It makes more sense to just get the bags the next morning, but I think I'd be worried all night about my luggage!!

-Sarah

Just Tom
04-01-2008, 07:58 PM
We have a similar situation. Not sure I want to worry about having the proper clothes and necessary cosmetics packed with all the size restrictions for carry on. We have a direct flight so I am not worried about our luggage arriving at WDW.

Choices, choices, choices...

Catzle
04-01-2008, 08:55 PM
We get in at 7 p.m. so we would get our luggage by 10? I do plan to pack our overnight stuff and if it isn't there by time we go to bed I am going to tell them to wait until morning. Don't want to be woken up late as we want to hit the parks first thing.

mickeys_princess_mom
04-01-2008, 10:18 PM
We get in at 7 p.m. so we would get our luggage by 10? I do plan to pack our overnight stuff and if it isn't there by time we go to bed I am going to tell them to wait until morning. Don't want to be woken up late as we want to hit the parks first thing.

You might, but I would follow your plan. We waited and waited one night, and when we finally called, were told they were just automatically holding it for us till the next day, assuming we didn't want to be disturbed. They brought it right up when we asked them to.
I think you have the right idea.

swampfox28
04-16-2008, 02:42 PM
Well, in case anyone was wondering (or wanting to use me as a guinea pig!), we just got back from our "girlfriends getaway - extended weekend edition!"

It was a blast and things went, for the most part, quite smoothly.

We DID opt to get our luggage before we went to the DME bus and were glad we did. Once we got down to the baggage terminal our luggage had just been taken off the plane so we didn't wait at all. Other than a long-ish walk to the DME pick-up point (which you have whether you pick up your luggage or not), it wasn't any problem at all.

We lucked out in that when we got to the bus it was about 4/5 full. We hopped right on and waited only about 10 or 12 minutes while a few more people came aboard, then we were off to WDW.

We were glad to have our luggage (though I have to say it wasn't fun to cart it ALL the way to our rooms - we were TIRED!!!)

I guess if you flew in early enough and didn't need your luggage immediately (i.e. if you were going to go straight to the parks or spend some time relaxing at the hotel, you could just wait and let DME take care of it.) However, if you, like us, didn't get into your room until after 1 (almost 2!) a.m., it was REALLY nice to have all your stuff!!

-Sarah

emmatink
04-16-2008, 03:04 PM
I would suggest getting your own luggage if you wish to have it for the night you arrive. My mom flew in around 6PM and used ME and did not collect her own luggage. We did not get it until around midnight and we were there during the slower season. Chances are you will not receive it at a normal bed time hour unless you want to wait up for it! I think the later you fly in the longer it takes to get your luggage. My flight arrived around 12 noon that same day and we had our luggage within 3 or 4 hours.

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
04-17-2008, 10:48 PM
We usually get the 7:05 am flight out of NY and our luggage is usually to our room by 1pm or so.

We flew in later in September. We arrived at 6pm or so. Our luggage did not arrive until after midnight. There was some kind of delay due to a rain storm that came in. I had packed swimsuits and some things for the kids assuming that they could have dinner and swim until our bags got there. We ended up buying three t shirts down at the SSR store and put them to bed.

We were not thrilled with the delay but, it was out of Disney's hands. I should have planned better.

If we land after 3pm in the future, I will be grabbing our luggage just to be safe.

CleveRocks
04-18-2008, 06:25 AM
We usually get the 7:05 am flight out of NY and our luggage is usually to our room by 1pm or so.

We flew in later in September. We arrived at 6pm or so. Our luggage did not arrive until after midnight. There was some kind of delay due to a rain storm that came in. I had packed swimsuits and some things for the kids assuming that they could have dinner and swim until our bags got there. We ended up buying three t shirts down at the SSR store and put them to bed.

We were not thrilled with the delay but, it was out of Disney's hands. I should have planned better.

If we land after 3pm in the future, I will be grabbing our luggage just to be safe.

If your baggage was delayed due to a rain storm, then DME really saved the day for you.

When there is lightning in the area, the rampers (luggage handlers) will not off-load luggage from aircraft until the storm has passed (there's a specific criterion about number of minutes that must pass after the last observed lightning strike before luggage operations may resume).

If this delay occurred with your flight, all the people on your flight not using DME were waiting around baggage claim for a few hours, waiting impatiently for their bags, having to entertain their kids, and wasting their Disney vacation time.

Since you used DME, you were able to get to your resort pronto rather than begin your vacation by waiting around the airport. Your kids were able to go swimming because of DME -- without DME, they would have been stuck at the airport waiting for the bags.

g8rgirl29
04-18-2008, 10:50 AM
You could maybe pack one suitcase of essentials to get you through the first 24 hours, don't put the DME tag on it. One of you go check in at DME while one waits for the one bag. Then let DME handle the rest of your bags be delivered to your room.

Rosemickey68
04-18-2008, 11:36 AM
We flew in after 8pm recently and did not pick up our bags...we let ME do their magic. We checked into our resort, went to DD to eat dinner and by the time we came back to our room our luggage was there. It was probably about 11pm.
It was nice not having to worry about picking up our bags at the airport.
I would pack your essentials in a carry on bag that you need for overnight if you're worried about it, but I don't think it would be a problem.
For those people that fly in late at night...all you have to do is ask at check in for your luggage to not be brought to your room until morning if you don't want to be disturbed...I asked for future reference.
Have a good trip!:mickey:

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
04-18-2008, 02:17 PM
If your baggage was delayed due to a rain storm, then DME really saved the day for you.

When there is lightning in the area, the rampers (luggage handlers) will not off-load luggage from aircraft until the storm has passed (there's a specific criterion about number of minutes that must pass after the last observed lightning strike before luggage operations may resume).

If this delay occurred with your flight, all the people on your flight not using DME were waiting around baggage claim for a few hours, waiting impatiently for their bags, having to entertain their kids, and wasting their Disney vacation time.

Since you used DME, you were able to get to your resort pronto rather than begin your vacation by waiting around the airport. Your kids were able to go to swimming because of DME -- without DME, they would have been stuck at the airport waiting for the bags.

I never said I was upset with DME at all. We have been thrilled with their service each and every time. I know the delay for our baggage was out of their hands. I meant poor planning on part because I should have packed pj's for the kids as well.
:)

chick20679
04-18-2008, 02:58 PM

Just wanted to remind everyone:

The decision to pick up or not pick up your bags needs to be made before you check in your bags at your origin point.
The little yellow tags that you put on to signal DME CM's to pull your bags means that you won't see them (not matter how long you wait) in MCO.

So, if you decide you DO want to pick them up yourself, be sure you DON'T put on the DME tags.

:mickey:

CleveRocks
04-18-2008, 03:13 PM
You could maybe pack one suitcase of essentials to get you through the first 24 hours, don't put the DME tag on it. One of you go check in at DME while one waits for the one bag. Then let DME handle the rest of your bags be delivered to your room.I'm honestly not trying to be rude or sarcastic, so PLEASE :blush: don't take it that way ...

I just don't understand this suggestion. You're not the first person who's said it, but I still just don't get it.

I look at the DME luggage delivery as a time-saver. If I'm already hanging around baggage claim waiting and waiting for my one bag, I might as well hang around for all of them. I can't imagine this would take substantially more time.