PDA

View Full Version : New Imagineering The Magic DVD

Strmchsr
03-26-2008, 11:19 AM
I saw where DLR is having a release party with Imagineers signing copies of the new DVD "Imagineering the Magic" next Saturday, April 5 (my birthday!). The DVD looks awesome. I hope they do one for WDW, too. Click here (http://psc.disney.go.com/eventservices/disneygallery/dlr_imagineeringthemagic_dvdrelease.html) for all the details from the official Disney site.

GothMickey
03-26-2008, 12:25 PM
I just looked on Amazon for this DVD. Is it only sold in Disneyland?

dudeman1975
03-26-2008, 12:28 PM
The DVD will be available online April 2nd. I know I will be a purchaser.

Strmchsr
03-26-2008, 12:41 PM
I just looked on Amazon for this DVD. Is it only sold in Disneyland?

I'm still trying to find the details as to where it will be available online. Once i find out (or if anyone else finds out first) we'll post it here. I know I'm anxious to get a copy as well.

Mufasa
03-26-2008, 01:54 PM
I hope they do one for WDW, too.

Yes, there are plans for an Imagineering the Magic- Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney Resort DVD to be released sometime later this year and future DVDs looking at the other parks as an entire series.

Strmchsr
03-26-2008, 02:35 PM
Yes, there are plans for an Imagineering the Magic- Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney Resort DVD to be released sometime later this year and future DVDs looking at the other parks as an entire series.

That's awesome news. I was hoping you would have that information. Do you know about how these will be made available for online purchasing?

pink
03-26-2008, 08:08 PM
This sounds amazing- I can't wait until the disney world one comes out. :mickey:

Mufasa
03-27-2008, 03:21 AM
Do you know about how these will be made available for online purchasing?

The DVD will be available through the Disney Gallery website at the following link, beginning April 2nd at 8:00 am Pacific for $24.95 plus applicable tax & shipping:

Imagineering the Magic web order form (http://www.register123.com/event/profile/form/index.cfm?PKformID=0x546935c192)

BrerGnat
03-31-2008, 11:29 PM
Aw bummer! That's a blockout day for my AP! I would love to get one of these signed. What a cool souvenir!

However, I will be purchasing it on my next trip to DLR, that is for sure!

Thanks for the info. :thumbsup:

MegaDisney
04-01-2008, 12:12 AM
To me it would be worth the $20USD daily ticket you can buy for a blackout date just to meet Tony Baxter and get him to sign the DVD.

Mufasa
04-01-2008, 02:51 AM
To me it would be worth the $20USD daily ticket you can buy for a blackout date just to meet Tony Baxter and get him to sign the DVD.

And let's not forget about the other Imagineers who will also be there for the signing event.

Kevin Rafferty is a fantastic person- extremely talented and funny guy who has been involved in a number of attractions worldwide (including the upcoming Toy Story Mania which he developed the concept for along with another Imagineer Robert Coltrin).

To Kevin's credit, Toy Story Mania's concept was given the greenlight from management in record time- probably about 6 weeks from when he initially pitched the idea which really speaks to his talents as a show writer. He was also one of the key co-authors of the book Walt Disney Imagineering: A Behind the Dreams Look at Making the Magic Real by the Imagineers.

David Fisher has been a major contributor to a number of articles on Imagineering, and serves as the DVD's host. Like Kevin Rafferty and Tony Baxter, David got his start at Disneyland- I think David started in custodial, while Kevin was a dishwasher at the Plaza Inn and both give great stories about how they got to WDI and really have worked their way up through the company so I'm glad to see that David was picked to serve as the DVD's host).

Michael Sprout has one of the most interesting backgrounds as an Imagineer. He has a background with animation and puppetry and started out working as a show programmer with audio-animatronic figures for Tokyo Disneyland and Epcot before moving on to show design and as a result he's been involved in a lot of different aspects of the Imagineering process from concept development through installation and has a unique perspective on the entire process.

In particular his work on all versions worldwide of the Tower of Terror is fascinating (the skill he brought along with his own almost encyclopedic knowledge of the Twilight Zone with how he developed the original script for the attractions here and then looked to adapt the attraction for a Japanese audience unfamiliar with the Twilight Zone but deliver just as strong a story).

And then of course there's that Tony guy, but you can also pretty regularly spot him around the park on occasion.

vz9p57
04-01-2008, 07:27 AM
I'll be visiting DLR in three weeks.....should I order one via the web site to make sure I get one, or is this not a limited release and I shouldn't have trouble finding one at Disneyland?

dudeman1975
04-02-2008, 08:12 PM
I ordered my DVD today, it was $3.00 for shipping. The DVD should be here in 10 days. I am excited.

BrerGnat
04-03-2008, 11:57 PM

I thought blackout tickets were $30? :confused:

In any event, I'd have my kids with me, and the 3 year old has an AP too, so it would be twice that price. ;) Not really worth it for me. If it was just a bit later in the day, though, it would totally work out. My MIL is flying in but she doesn't arrive until 11:30am.

brownie
04-24-2008, 09:21 AM
I received mine two days ago and had to send it back yesterday. There was a moon-shaped piece broken out of Disc 1. I called Disneyland DelivEARS but they only thing they would do was offer me the address to send it back. So on top of paying for the DVD and shipping, I paid another $5.25 to ship it back to them.:(

dudeman1975
04-24-2008, 12:22 PM
I received my DVD a couple of days ago, and I am really enjoying the DVD so far. I hope they make one for Disney World.

LandFan
04-28-2008, 08:43 AM
I got mine a few days ago too. We watched it yesterday. It was really nice! I did learn a few new things that I hadn't know before.

My only beef is that they could have done a bit more with disc 2 though. The California Adventure section could have been longer.

I hope a WDW one comes out too:thumbsup:

DisneyWizard
04-28-2008, 03:50 PM
definitely looking into this...;-)

brownie
05-01-2008, 01:04 PM
I received mine two days ago and had to send it back yesterday. There was a moon-shaped piece broken out of Disc 1. I called Disneyland DelivEARS but they only thing they would do was offer me the address to send it back. So on top of paying for the DVD and shipping, I paid another $5.25 to ship it back to them.:(

I received a call from Disneyland last night. My replacement DVD should be shipped today! Hopefully this one is okay; I'm looking forward to watching it.

DisneyNut2005
01-01-2009, 09:32 PM
Kevin Rafferty is a fantastic person- extremely talented and funny guy who has been involved in a number of attractions worldwide (including the upcoming Toy Story Mania which he developed the concept for along with another Imagineer Robert Coltrin).

I agree. Kevin Rafferty is a great and very talented guy with a great sense of humor. It's just too bad that so many Disney fans/purists hate him.

Mr. Rafferty gets much too much of a bad rep in Disney fan circles, especially because many of the attractions that he worked on do tend to get slammed by the Internet minority all-too frequently.

Some of Rafferty's attraction credits include:
-The Enchanted Tiki Room--Under New Management
-It's Tough to Be a Bug
-Rock 'n Roller Coaster
-Mickey's PhilharMagic
-Stitch's Great Escape
-Monsters Inc.--Mike & Sulley to the Rescue
-The Seas with Nemo and Friends
-Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage
-Toy Story Midway Mania

If the fanboys/fangirls knew more about the great Kevin Rafferty and knew that he created some of the attractions that they oh-so-despise (Tiki, Stitch, etc.), maybe they'd start to feel guilty, develop a change of heart and start being more thankful, grateful and appreciative of those attraction and maybe even vow to never slam them again.