PDA

View Full Version : Le Chefs De France?

Hayden's Dad
03-26-2008, 10:55 AM
We thought we would try someplace new this trip and so we opted for Le Chefs De France for dinner. What do you guys think. There will be three of us DW, myself, and our 2yr old son Hayden, but only DW and myself will be eating, Hayden has his own food.

Thanks

SBETigg
03-26-2008, 11:55 AM
I've had ups and downs with Chefs, but generally I love it and it ranks as a favorite. You'll usually find attentive service, good food, and a bright, pleasant atmosphere. Occasionally, the food or service doesn't live up to expectation and you do see mixed reviews on it. I recommend giving it a try.

auntfrannie
03-26-2008, 12:20 PM
My group of 6 went there last year and had a great time. The food was very good and the service was excellent. The tables are a bit close together but we had a nice view of what was happening outside.

WishingStar2006
03-26-2008, 12:29 PM
This is always a must do restaurant for us...the food is really good (don't recommend the seared tuna, though!!) and the atmosphere is very nice, especially if you get a window table.

Just a little hint....they almost ALWAYS run behind on the ADR times....we've waited almost an hour....so keep that in mind when scheduling your dining hour.

Enjoy!!!

BelleLovesTheBeast
03-26-2008, 12:41 PM
We love it! They have great lobster bisque. I don't think I've ever had anything that we didn't like.

bruin1344
03-26-2008, 01:03 PM
Its ok, i like the other countries in World Showcase better. If I had to use my DDP on it I would.

drhama
03-26-2008, 01:29 PM
We love it. Eat there almost every time we are in the world. Service can be slow as well as ADR seating times.
The Tarte a la flamme Alsacienne at flat bread baked with cream fraiche, onion and bacon is die for.
We love to watch the wait staff work when they are really on, just a dance. The restaurant is packed pretty tight.

Hayden's Dad
03-26-2008, 01:51 PM
I keep hearing that the restraunt is packed pretty tight. Is this going to be a problem with my son being in a wheelchair?

Checkers
03-26-2008, 02:06 PM
:mickey:We have hit and miss service at Chef's de France but the food has always been excellent. Yes, it can be quite compact, however, if you mention at check-in that your son is in a wheelchair they will seat you accordingly.

Enjoy!

SBETigg
03-26-2008, 03:08 PM
I keep hearing that the restraunt is packed pretty tight. Is this going to be a problem with my son being in a wheelchair?

I doubt it will be a problem. They're very accommodating everywhere at Disney, for the most part, aren't they? They'll see your situation and give you appropriate space, I think. I've seen wheelchairs and strollers there, but I have no personal experience with it. Best to ask when you make the ADR?

WriteDisney
03-26-2008, 03:58 PM
Went there on my last trip, I really liked it, DBF thought it was 'so-so' and would have opted for another place (more into steak restaurants like le cellier.. did LOVE the dessert though) ..

Our waitress was very very attentive.. We had our ADR right before the dinner rush so she didn't have much to do.. and she kind of waited by our table close by and would take away any plates as soon as we were done.. which was VERY attentive (a little too much if you ask me.. but I'm picky and honestly I would rather have that then the opposite)

Desserts were fantastic! :thumbsup: I would go again!

Natazu
03-26-2008, 08:03 PM
First of all, Hayden is an entirely cool name. I've been meaning to tell you. In fact, I've been thinking about it for our boy.

Now, Chefs de France, in my worthless opinion, is an overpriced novice attempt at French cuisine. There is much better food at Epcot. Actually, there is much better food at Waffle House. The place is pretty and has a nice view of World Showcase but that's about all I can give it.

ElenitaB
03-27-2008, 12:55 AM
I've been waiting for Jym to come along and pan CdF before posting (because a thread about CdF is like a candle to a moth for him ;) ). Since we don't have Waffle House or Cracker Barrel here (which is his usual point of reference on the matter), I can't make the comparison. I can say that we very much enjoyed our meal at Chef de France and the CMs were very attentive to my Ds who was around 8 at the time. I had the "French Menu" lunch and it was all quite yummy. I've been disappointed by other restaurants in the World Showcase, but CdF was not one of them.

ch077833
03-27-2008, 01:15 AM
Like Ellen, I knew Jym would have a Le Cracker Barrel comment about Chefs. But I love it! I have enjoyed every meal I have had there and it continues to be on my must do list. Be sure to get the short ribs or duck (if it is on the menu), they are my favs.

Cheryl

HairyBear
03-27-2008, 01:27 AM
Why doesn't Disney let Cracker Barrel or Waffle House commision a restaurant in one of the kitchy areas of Animal Kingdom. Back in the old days they were very into having corporations 'sponsor' rides. I'm sure they could talk one of them into such a deal. How about the WaffleHouseasaurus?:funny:

Natazu
03-27-2008, 01:36 AM
Just doing whatever it takes to get Cheryl to post.

SBETigg
03-27-2008, 06:22 AM
Now, Chefs de France, in my worthless opinion, is an overpriced novice attempt at French cuisine. There is much better food at Epcot. Actually, there is much better food at Waffle House. The place is pretty and has a nice view of World Showcase but that's about all I can give it.

The menu was developed by three of the the top chefs from Michelin four star French restaurants: Paul Bocuse, Roger Verge, and Gaston LeNotre. Now I'll grant that you may have had a bad meal there. But the menu at Les Chefs is by no means a novice attempt at French food. The execution, okay maybe on occasion. But the menu, no. And there have been days when the rest of Epcot can't come close to comparing to the excellence at Les Chefs.

Natazu
03-27-2008, 08:37 AM
The menu was developed by three of the the top chefs from Michelin four star French restaurants: Paul Bocuse, Roger Verge, and Gaston LeNotre. Now I'll grant that you may have had a bad meal there. But the menu at Les Chefs is by no means a novice attempt at French food. The execution, okay maybe on occasion. But the menu, no. And there have been days when the rest of Epcot can't come close to comparing to the excellence at Les Chefs.

I understand what you're saying, sure. But menu etiology isn't where I think CdF is falling short. The problem is the three chefs aren't around anymore. The restaurant is run by decent chefs just doing their best to reproduce L’Ecole du Moulin level items. I don't feel they're doing a very good job. That's all.

lockedoutlogic
03-27-2008, 08:55 AM
I personally love Chefs de France...any restaurant with escargot should be worshipped....in my opinion

but as to the detractors that say "it's not very authentic".......what in WDW really is?

I mean...let's be serious here......everything is Americanized to a ridiculous extent...because americans are generally the most picky eaters on Earth....

Sure you get a splash of international flavor...but come on....hasn't anyone else noticed the chicken breast, steak, salmon routine?

I would say Akershus and Biergarten would be probably the closest to authentic and different from something you might find in your town....and nobody really seems to like those too much

Even the board superstar - Le Cellier....is a middle to upscale steakhouse......nothing less, nothing more

the cheese soup is really the only thing on the menu that you can't find in some restaurants local to you....

Hayden's Dad
03-27-2008, 09:34 AM
First of all, Hayden is an entirely cool name. I've been meaning to tell you. In fact, I've been thinking about it for our boy.

Thank you, we like it to. He is actually unofficially named after Darth Vader:darth: (Hayden Christensen) Not because he was Darth Vader my wife just happen to be pregnant when the movies came out and we thought the name was cool.

Well so far I feel pretty confident with only really one negative Waffel House comparison.

TheDuckRocks
03-27-2008, 10:53 AM
We love Chef de France and we also enjoy Cracker Barrel! But I've often wondered just what Cracker Barrel Jym goes to that is better than CdF.:confused: Boy, I'd sure like to try it if I'm ever in the area.

TheRustyScupper
03-27-2008, 11:14 AM
Our Opinion:
. . . food variety: B
. . . food quality: C+ to B-
. . . service: C
. . . recommendation: C+

Natazu
03-27-2008, 11:18 AM
We love Chef de France and we also enjoy Cracker Barrel! But I've often wondered just what Cracker Barrel Jym goes to that is better than CdF.:confused: Boy, I'd sure like to try it if I'm ever in the area.

The Cracker Barrel thing started a while back. I didn't actually say Cracker Barrel is better than Chefs, I said that the rotisserie chicken with mashed potatoes and fried green tomatoes for $8.99 was about the same as Chef's Demi poulet fermier roti, pommes puree au basilic et tomate braisee - (Half of an all natural roasted chicken, basil mashed potatoes and braised tomato) for $24.95.

MississippiDisneyFreak
03-27-2008, 11:30 AM
:) We thought our meal was just okay but the desserts were really good. I don't remember it being too crowded and don't think you will have a problem getting Hayden in and out.

We aren't eating there on our next trip we're trying all new restaurants at Epcot, but I would probably eat there again in the future because my son loves escargot.

Tink's Mom
03-27-2008, 12:02 PM
We also thought it was just so-so. Not bad, but not really good either. I did enjoy the lobster bisque (that is why we went there in the first place). I will mention that I thought it was too brightly lit, and the tables were very close together.

SurferStitch
03-27-2008, 12:03 PM
DH and I decided one day in Epcot to cancel an ADR we had at another restaurant and try Le Chefs instead. Our friends had just dined there, and raved about it, so we thought it would be a great place to try.

Sadly, we were pretty disappointed. DH's filet was disgusting....it was literally like a rubber ball, and about half fat. We had never seen meat that had that consistency before. It was spongy and springy. He hated it. My shrimp and scallops were barely cooked, and the sauce didn't work very well with seafood. The flatbread was delicious, though. Our desserts seemed like they just came out of the freezer/fridge. My cream puffs were partially frozen, and damp/soggy on the outside. DH's creme brulee was cold (refrigerated) and had a chewy top where it should be crisp.

Service was good, but the food was terrible. We will not be returning anytime soon.

Hayden's Dad
03-27-2008, 12:10 PM
we're trying all new restaurants

Us too. That is why we are going here and the yak and yeti at AK. Everything else just about is character meals :D

Kidsmom
03-27-2008, 01:41 PM
We loved it so much our last trip we added the Bristo de Paris later in the trip. This is one meal our kids can't wait for...bisque, escarot (sp?), filet (not Ruth Chris's or Mortons, but good) and the atmosphere is great. Also a nice selection of wines.

If you haven't been go.....

Have fun!!!!