PDA

View Full Version : Staying at AKL

joanna71985
03-25-2008, 02:57 PM
I am so excited. I just booked the AKL for Aug 15-18!! I have always wanted to stay there.

Now, has anyone stayed there? What's it like? Is there any must-do things at the resort?

BigRedDad
03-25-2008, 03:01 PM
Must do -- watch all the savannahs, listen to the stories at Arusha Rock (I think that is the name), eat at Boma's, have a cocktail next to the firepit, have a drink by the pool, eat at Jiko's.

chicklittlemom
03-25-2008, 03:10 PM
Congrats! I think you will love AKL! We have great memories there... Here are my two "don't miss" suggestions....

1) night viewing at Arusha Rock- go out at night and ask for the night vision goggle to see the animals.

2)you didn't say if you have a savannah view room, but this is my very favorite, personal memory of AKL...I usually wake up earlier than the DH and kids. One morning, I got up and made a pot of coffee and sat out on the balcony. There was a light mist outside and the sun was just coming up. The animals were out, but most were laying down. Suddenly, I saw their heads and ears perk up. I didn't see or hear anything, at first. Then, I heard the truck coming down the road. The animals had heard their breakfast truck coming and they started getting up and looking for it. They all ran to the truck and followed it down the road until it stopped and unloaded their food. They were even trying to eat it off the truck! I just got such a kick out of watching the animals.

Have fun! I think you will enjoy yourself!

japhilli
03-25-2008, 03:14 PM
AKL is my favorite resort. It's like having 2 vacations in one. We had originally booked a standard room and when we arrived were given a free upgrade to a savannah view. I will never forget how I felt when the guy who took our luggage to our room threw open the curtains and said the giraffes are out here eating. I actually stood there and cried. Every morning I got up early and sat out on the balcony and watched the giraffes eat. There is so much to see and do at the resort. And the smells of the firepit and Boma are great. It's like being on an African safari but then you get on a bus and BOOM you're at Disney World. Be sure to take the time to soak it all in. I hope to stay there again one day. ENJOY!!!!!:mickey:

pox24
03-25-2008, 03:44 PM
Its quite a treat staying there. The food is fabulous. Boma and Jiko are two fine places to dine. Observing the animals and talking to the CM's about their native country I especially enjoyed. If you are on the savannah watching the animals daily is so unique, I can't even imagine anyplace else like it. We are very fortunate to be making another trip back in May ourselves. Take in all in. :thumbsup:

PS- Its no coincidence the similarity of the lobby with that of the Wilderness Lodge. The architect is the same.

azdisneymom
03-25-2008, 11:10 PM
Just can't go wrong with AKL. We enjoyed taking the 'culinary tour'. Not sure exactly what they call it. In the afternoons you can take a tour of the restaurants. The CMs explain the background of the dishes. Plus you do get to taste some of the foods. :eat:

thejens
03-25-2008, 11:37 PM
I just love AKL. My biggest mistake was not allocating enough time to stay at the resort. It is so beautiful. The pool area is relaxing and there are several areas to watch the animals near the pool. There is a hidden hot tub near a viewing spot of flamingos. Just relax and explore the resort, look at the artwork, even the floor. Definitely eat at Boma. We like to have dinner and breakfast there. This next trip we are doing Boma and Jiko. Enjoy!

joanna71985
03-25-2008, 11:46 PM
Thanks for all the advice everyone!!:thumbsup:

Ed
03-26-2008, 07:01 AM
Last time we were there, shortly after sunrise one morning we were enjoying coffee on the balcony watching the animals eat their breakfast when a group of three or four colorful hot air balloons passed over. It was so quiet we could hear the burners hissing and the sounds of the passengers talking. The early morning sky was a beautiful shade of orange, and there was a bit of ground fog lingering among the trees. All in all, one of those mental pictures that sticks with you forever. In fact, I was so mesmerized that I didn't even think to grab the camera.

If this is your idea of heaven on earth, then AKL is the place for you!

gwfx1031
03-26-2008, 02:37 PM
When we stayed last, there were activities for kids around the pool. One of them was a scavanger hunt to find various animals and plants. Our kids really enjoyed that.

KineGirl
03-27-2008, 12:00 AM
I LOVE AKL!!! If you eat at Jikos ask to be seated at the chefs counter. Its fascinating to watch them cook! The pina colavas at the pool bar are amazing. The savannahs are incredible - relish the savannah room view if you have it. It truly takes you to another place and the last time we were there you could ask for night vision goggles at the front desk. The firepit is a must "sit". They have a tour everyday of all the authentic African artwork that is through out the resort. A little time consuming but if youre a lover of art and/or culture its worth the distraction from the World. I also love the gift shop here.. very unique.