PDA

View Full Version : Please help with AUGUST!

mouseketeer mom
03-25-2008, 08:59 AM
We were planning a trip in April. We have decided to change our dates to August. (other things we must do in April)..I'm excited because we have a trip to Colorado in July and now another trip in August to plan. I don't know where to begin. This is a month I've never considered before. We are available anytime after August 8th for travel. What week might be best? I'm not sure when Southern schools might return to the classroom, maybe thats a consideration? I'd love any ideas about best dates to choose, crowds, etc. Thanks everyone! Looks like theres lots of availablility for us and we are flexible about where to stay. Oh! Also, do you think any specials for August might be released? Thanks!

ibrowse17
03-25-2008, 09:05 AM
The only thing I can say is to be ready for the heat and humidity. It can really take it out of you if you are not used to it, and still can even if you are. Schools should start to take in by the middle of the month, for the most part. We will be there the last week of July, so I hope we both have great trips:thumbsup:

onjbj
03-25-2008, 09:14 AM
We're going 8/24-8/30- leaving on the 30th to avoid Labor Day Weekend crowds. We've been told that the last week of August is good in terms of crowds. Many schools are back in session and those that aren't go back the first week of Sept, so many people don't travel the week before as they are getting ready for school.

Definitely be prepared for the heat with mister/fan bottles. They do help. Also lots of water!! A mid afternoon break is also a good idea- we get out very early to beat the heat, leave by lunch, and come back early evening.

Strmchsr
03-25-2008, 10:02 AM
Even for southerners used to it the heat and humidity, Florida in August can be absolutely overwhelming. Use LOTS of sunscreen and drink LOTS of water. Sunburns and heatstroke/ heat exhaustion can occur very quickly and that'd ruin your trip in a hurry.

A lot of southern schools are waiting until later in August to start back due to the heat, so the later in the month you can go, the better. Also, any August discount will be for later in the month, so that would also be helpful. Check the historical discount page in Info Central and you'll see when August discounts are usually available. Have a great trip!

disneymom15
03-25-2008, 10:09 AM
We're going Aug 13-17. Main reason I picked Aug was bacause it's value season. I got a great rate at POP, about half the price it would have been for June and July. Like others have said, it will be very hot and humid.

crazykids
03-25-2008, 10:17 AM
We typically go the last 2 weeks in August & the crowds are on the lighter side. The weather is hot, but it doesn't bother us all that much. You'll be drinking lots of water & probably have to change your clothes more than once a day due to sweating through them! There is usually a daily thunderstorm that rolls through sometime in the afternoon & you will probably see people walking through the rain smiling :) Best thing to do in August is to take the mid afternoon off from the parks & swim at the resort. The nights are warm too - you won't have to pack anything but shorts! Most attractions are indoors with air condition so it's really not as bad as everyone makes it sound. I'll take the heat anyday over heavy crowds! Enjoy!

c&d
03-25-2008, 10:29 AM
When we went in August it was the last 2 weeks of the month. The crowds were light. It was hot and humid so we spent more time at the pool and water parks during the day. We took advantage of EMH night hours to go to the parks.

I hate the heat and humidity but it didn't seem as bad as I thought it was going to be. Maybe because I was prepared for it.

Just a warning: We left the Monday of Labor Day and it was the only time I had a bad experience with ME. They didn't have enough buses for all the people checking out. We showed up 30 mins. before we were scheduled to leave and stood in line. We watched the luggage truck leave and 2 buses leave. We finally took a cab to the airport.

Momof5
03-25-2008, 10:41 AM
Hi,

We're from North Jersey too and we'll be there August 26-Sept 5 this year. Yay!

I think the later in August you go, the better crowds will be. There is a possibility of free dining being offered from the last week in August to the last week in September (I'm hoping for this) as they have offered it the past 2 years. Of course, they might not this year as the promo might have accomplished it's goals for Disney already, but you never know.

Happy planning. Maybe we'll see you there. :party:

MickeyChick
03-25-2008, 12:35 PM
We'll be there for August 15-17. I am preparing myself for the heat, humidity and bugs. I'm just afraid of being grounded from even getting there by a hurricane!

King Triton
03-25-2008, 02:19 PM
We've done August the last two out of three years.

Yes, it is hot, but as long as you hydrate yourself, its not bad. Of course, also be ready for popup thunderstorms, usually in the mid-late afternoon. They can be pretty intense, but usually don't last too long.

I would go as late in the month as you can, as more schools have started the later in the month you get.

In both of the years we have gone, there have been AP room discounts for at least a portion of the visit. Three years ago I think we had WL for $135 and last summer we had CBR for either $89 or $99. They have since gone to weekday/weekend pricing, so it'll be interesting to see how the discounts work out. Of course, the existence of a discount isn't guaranteed anyway.

I do like to spread out an August trip. It is hot, so just slow the pace down a bit.