PDA

View Full Version : Beach around Disney

hyper71
03-23-2008, 06:03 PM
My family is going to Disney in June. :mickey:
On the way back to Tennessee we wanted to stop at a beach for a few days. We have never been to anywhere expect Panama City Beach. :swim: Can someone tell me where we should stop and the best hotel to stay at? We cannot decide if we want to go to Tampa or Clearwater.

Ed
03-23-2008, 06:30 PM
I'm partial to Clearwater Beach, right on the Gulf of Mexico. Beautiful wide, soft sparkling white beaches, lots of restaurants and shops, and an easy drive, taking I-4 West to I-275 South, then picking up State Route 60 West all the way to the end. (If your tires start getting wet, you've gone too far!) We usually make a right on Mandalay Avenue from the traffic circle at the end of 60 and go about a half-mile to the city parking lot by the firehouse and the Palm Pavilion restaurant for a great day at the beach!

:sun:

FlaTinkRAMESAM
03-23-2008, 08:28 PM
Tampa doesn't really have a beach... just what is next to the bay...

Clearwater is very nice and tourist friendly--you'll find a nice variety of things to do. I personally love Fort DeSoto (they have awesome camping sites on the beach and it is quiet and really pleasant). It's farther south than Clearwater, but it's an island, and kinda secluded. It is really great for families. Sand Key is also very nice (it is just south of Clearwater--60 as you were going to Clearwater, turn left at the roundabout, and then keep heading south--you'll see signs).

Good luck planning!

hyper71
03-23-2008, 08:29 PM
Can you recommend a hotel to stay at there?
There are 2 adults and 2 children.
We would probably stay 2 days.

FlaTinkRAMESAM
03-24-2008, 01:46 AM
Can you recommend a hotel to stay at there?
There are 2 adults and 2 children.
We would probably stay 2 days.

welllll... my first choice for staying at Clearwater would have to be the Belleview Biltmore. GORGEOUS!!! Reminds me tons of GF. It is pretty iconic. It is actually on the mainland part, and geographically south of Sand Key, but they are all very close to each other.

The Clearwater Hilton is very nice as well. We stayed there a few nights last summer and have nothing but nice things to say about it. It is right on the beach.

The only thing to do at Fort De Soto is camping, but it is an amazing experience to camp on the beach.

South of Sand Key is The Don Cesar which is also very nice. VERY NICE.

Any other ? please don't hesitate to ask!